What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shannon Gallant vs Ty Williams

Who should start the season at fullback?

• Ty Williams

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Shannon Gallant

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Talanexor

Juniors
So Ty is going to start the season at fullback and Gallant will be playing QLD Cup.

We signed Gallant to play fullback, nothing but. He has speed to burn and excellent support play. Tigers fans rate him pretty highly. I haven't seen THAT much of him, and I didn't get to see any of the trials. But I HAVE seen Ty Williams play fullback, and IMO we won't win games with him there.

Then again, if Ty Williams is back to his pre-injury best form, I'm all for giving him a crack at it. I guess I'd prefer to see him play on the wing, where there's still a vacant spot up for grabs, as he's played most of his career there and is far more comfortable in that position.

Who would you rather start the season at fullback, and why?

elyod138

Bench
My decision would depend on how they have both performed in the trials and also how the other backline contenders have played.

If both are in good form Ty could be more useful at Wing or Centre, if our other options aren't up to scratch.

Mig2006

Juniors
Gallant must not be impressing if Williams has taken over as the favourite for the job. Either that or Williams has really increased his speed as reports suggest. I was really looking forward to seeing Gallant playing either side of JT....

Buckshot

Juniors
Gallant had a bad trial making some fairly basic errors , that's why Williams is getting his chance.
What fringe first grade player joins another club with a gaurantee of a starting position anyway ?

Talanexor

Juniors
Gallant had a bad trial making some fairly basic errors , that's why Williams is getting his chance.
What fringe first grade player joins another club with a gaurantee of a starting position anyway ?

Lol - how about a bloke named Johnathan Thurston? Or Nathan Friend. Both had more established players in front of them at their previous clubs.

I like that Neil Henry will give the job to whoever performs best. In fact I wish he'd take that approach with the forwards more often.

I think the fact that we signed Gallant AS A FULLBACK means he's wasted if we're not using him. He wouldn't be on big $, but even so.

I'm glad Ty Williams is in career best form and has improved his speed. I'd just rather see him on the wing or in the centres. I think Gallant could add a lot more spark from the back, which would help our attack a lot.

parra_jesus

Juniors
from what i seen i rate williams ahead of gallant overall as a football player but i would stick gallant at the back and use tye to cover the centre/wing as he is more versatile and would do a more than adequate job in any position he is put in . hoping he has a big year , imo he is a very underated talent.

Bow_rider

Juniors
I just cannot understand why they would use some of their salary cap to relocate the guy from Sydney with his family and play him in the Cutters team.Surely they must have seen something in him 5 months ago to sign him. This guy is a fleet footed support player, and the first 2 trials have been played in terrible conditions with only 2 trys being scored by the Cowboys.This is either a waste of money or we should be giving this bloke a chance, and not playing him in a trial for the Cutters this weekend ,which is apparrently been postponed due to the sh..house weather.

elyod138

Bench
He shouldn't be in the team simply because we bought him, the best option at the time should be picked.

The season hasn't even started yet. We could use up to 30 players during the year, Gallant will get his chance. Clubs buy players to increase their depth all the time.

Bow_rider

Juniors
He shouldn't be in the team simply because we bought him, the best option at the time should be picked.

The season hasn't even started yet. We could use up to 30 players during the year, Gallant will get his chance. Clubs buy players to increase their depth all the time.
I"m not saying he should be in the team, but at least I think he should be in the squad.

elyod138

Bench
I"m not saying he should be in the team, but at least I think he should be in the squad.

I think their reasoning was that if he played for the Cutters he would get a whole game. That plan has backfired a bit if it turns out that the game is postponed though.

Shorty

Staff member
This is pretty basic, people that know footy know why Shannon isn't at fullback.
You don't just buy players and then expect them to be started at fullback, we've done this in the past and it's backfired.
As told Shannon was average in the trial, who is more established with first grade? Ty or Shannon?
As boring and ineffective as Williams has become he's safe and I'd much rather him there than an untested Gallant.
Let's be realistic here guys, I'm absolutely sure Shannon is going to be in the backs eventually but seriously if some of you expected him there straight away without proving himself, you need a naivety check.

Big Pete

Referee
Wouldn't giving them a naivety cheque do more harm than good? I believe you meant reality cheque.

Either way I agree. It's good to see Henry rewarding good trial form and either way it's only for the short-term. Once Bowen is back he'll slot straight back into the fullback position.

The Pain Game

Juniors
I am happy to start the season with Ty Williams. He seems to be playing well, and ended last season the same way. As long as he is performing and helping us to win, or be close in games, then we should not change it. If we see Ty as better fitting for the wing, or if he drops off and Gallant is doing good in the QLD Cup, bring him in. I like all this competition and hope it even fires up Matty when he comes back.

Shorty

Staff member
Wouldn't giving them a naivety cheque do more harm than good? I believe you meant reality cheque.

Either way I agree. It's good to see Henry rewarding good trial form and either way it's only for the short-term. Once Bowen is back he'll slot straight back into the fullback position.
:lol:
Probably, whatever they need to be realistic.

Charlie124

First Grade
I dont care what names they are as long as they're playing well. If that means Bani, Graham and T. Williams are all in the backline then thats fine with me, so long as its our best lineup given player form.

beave

Coach
f$%k, give me a jersey, I reckon I would do a better job than Rovelli....................

Talanexor

Juniors
I dont care what names they are as long as they're playing well. If that means Bani, Graham and T. Williams are all in the backline then thats fine with me, so long as its our best lineup given player form.

Fair point - but unless they all start playing out of their skin, we'll be fielding the same team which failed to make the finals last year. Unless there's been some drastic improvement, I think we need to look at blooding some younger players sooner rather than later. Season opener is probably the best time, because everyone will still be a bit rusty.

Ty Williams has good positioning and can read the game well - if he's spent the offseason working on his speed and training at fullback, then I'm all for it. It says in the match report that he set up two of our four tries which is good enough for me.

Surely Ray Thompson deserves a start over Rovelli. Rovelli offers what? A long kicking game? Watts can kick just as well, and I daresay Thompson has a good boot as well.