What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bear

Referee
You of all people should know that a new team outside heartland standing on its own two feet isn't going to happen overnight.

Do you know that for a fact? I actually wasn't hugely supportive of bringing Origin down here. Sure I loved it because I live here and got to see RL at its best... but I'd much rather the NRL do something to give our team a fair go down here.
Didnt say it was a bad thing, have to have a presence in Melbourne (although personally i dislike the Storm, whole club reeks of News Ltd). But a bit rich to claim you've been f**ked over when any other club would've been cast aside in this situation long ago.

I dont think Gallop does a great job, and I agree that promotion of Melbourne could be better, but i think Gallop has no blame for the current situation, the blame for that is squarely at the feet of the corperates who cheated the system.

beave

Coach
You of all people should know that a new team outside heartland standing on its own two feet isn't going to happen overnight.

Do you know that for a fact? I actually wasn't hugely supportive of bringing Origin down here. Sure I loved it because I live here and got to see RL at its best... but I'd much rather the NRL do something to give our team a fair go down here.

you would have to be ignorant to think that he didn't have some kind of input into those games being moved, sure they are ARL sanctioned games, but the NRL draw had the Broncos playing down there the same weekend of the Origin down there as well to take advantage of the QLD fans travelling. Me personally, I would have rathered both those moved games be in their traditional cities, but I understand the reasons behind it and the importance in growing our game.

camsmith

Juniors
agreed on the publicity/tv coverage down there, but put more blame onto channel 9 melbourne than Gallop, would be nice for him to force their hand, but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

The tackling issues, when did he ever lap up your tackling technique? the media were the ones who carried on about it, not Gallop.

Rushed decision or not, you guys cheated, we all may not agree on the penalty or the speed in which it was dealt with, but at the end of the day, this wouldn't be happening if YOUR TEAM DIDN'T CHEAT THE CAP. I think you are forgetting the crux of the issue here.

Do I think Gallop is doing a great job??? He is doing a 'sound' job IMO, he could be doing more but he could be doing a lot worse, again, we don't know all the behind the scenes sh*t that goes on, being an ex news lawyer, I am sure he would have his hand tied in some instances, I don't envy his position.

what would you have happen to your team in this salary cap drama??? just play on as if nothing has happened??

Good post.

Couple of things, think Gallop could do a great deal more regarding tv coverage. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that games must be shown before midnight, even thought there have been many times that hasn't happened. What has Gallop done about that? Why can the AFL strike a deal to show Friday night football on Foxtel (main event) but the NRL can't?

I know alot must happen behind the scenes that I wouldn't know about but I can only judge him on what is public, and im not impressed.

You don't think unfairly singling out a team for something where evidence shows it wasn't alone in (grappling) is damaging to the game? You don't think Gallop could have come out stronger in defense of that team that other coaches were laying into almost purely to get one up and increase a chance of a penalty for high contact or get into the minds of the players etc..

Re: the salary cap. I would have at least spent a few days thinking about the punishment. Possibly come up with a penalty that also involved a system to allow us to keep playing for points. Wouldn't have hinted at the idea of players being guilty until facts were fully known and wouldn't have punished them overly for the actions of a few at the top.

Mods move this discussion to a relevant thread if you wish.

Last edited:

camsmith

Juniors
you would have to be ignorant to think that he didn't have some kind of input into those games being moved, sure they are ARL sanctioned games, but the NRL draw had the Broncos playing down there the same weekend of the Origin down there as well to take advantage of the QLD fans travelling. Me personally, I would have rathered both those moved games be in their traditional cities, but I understand the reasons behind it and the importance in growing our game.

And I'd agree. Would rather have resources put into publicising the footy team that actually plays here every second week than an odd SoO game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why ain't the Knights getting 18000 plus.
Construction of EAS western stand has knocked thousands off the capacity...
Well, for one he could do more to give the game publicity down here.

Almost had a cardiac arrest when I saw that we were going to get both the test match and Storm game on TV not only before midnight but LIVE

His grandstanding on our salary cap issues has been appalling. Making rushed decisions, coming out almost every day with more "news" re the storm. Trickling out things like a government would before budget night just so he stays in the news.

Not to mention the rubbish re: tackling techniques (noticed that's no longer a news story this season? Funny that) that he just laps up.

Think he is doing a great job do you?
More publicity? Do you need more publicity than the new stadium? The giant ads plastered in Fed Square for the test match? The State of Origin matches continually given to your state, another coming in 2012?

Grandstanding on salary cap decisions? :lol: Because it disadvantaged your club? SO IT SHOULD HAVE. I haven't noticed any grandstanding btw.

Rushed decision? How would you know, were you in the NRL offices in the week before the announcement?

News on the Storm every day from Gallop? The Telegraph and Herald Sun are the ones churning that out, Gallop isn't holding daily pressers you fool. The only other time you see Gallop is with the recent meetings about the salary cap, which he has admitted needs tinkering.

And what in the flaming f**k do tackling techniques have to do with Gallop? He's the f**king CEO, not the referees coach or Chief Operating Officer...

So you think having Origin in Melbourne, where half of the blokes in those Maroons jerseys ARE Storm players, doesn't raise RL's profile at all?

Fair dinkum, I've seen some delusional Storm fans in my time but you well and truly have outdone yourself.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Titans wouldn't have many fans in Newy, plus the stadium being in a sh*t fight state might make people stay away til it's fully finished, I dunno really, just throwing different ideas out there.
It's always swings and roundabouts in the NRL as the good crowds in my eyes are all coming from Sydney.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
We are on track for our 2nd crowd under 10000 for the year tonight. There is barely ANYONE at the SFS!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Roosters/Raiders game drew 9,308:lol:

Cowboys will have even less fans down here then the Raiders,with a bit of luck the Roosters being 5th on the ladder might bring out a few bandwagon Roosters supporters and push the crowd over 10k :lol:

Roosters as a club:lol:
Roosters fans:lol:

Roosters:lol:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Deadset there was more people at St Marys for the Junior Rep finals on Saturday afternoon than tonight!

The Tank

Bench
It's the smallest crowd I've seen in a long time. I'm guessing they'll announce it as 7.5k but it looks about 4.5k.

Teddyboy

First Grade
If the NRL is happy being a popular TV sport then it must do something about games being played with empty and half full stadiums as it does not come over well on TV and to the outsider they may think Australian Rugby League is not popular in it's own country.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
It's the smallest crowd I've seen in a long time. I'm guessing they'll announce it as 7.5k but it looks about 4.5k.

Can clubs just make up a number and get away with it?,does anyone out there actually check that the crowds announced are correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.