What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dissapointing statement made by fans last night

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Were there any dirty Storm fans there??. Was there any banners 'giving it' to the cheating bitches??

Congrats on serving that mob a nice sh!t sandwich.

Big Norm

offside ref

Juniors
Fulky agree I was there and as the rain was pouring all day I never once thought about not going.
It goes to show how many bandwagon supporters there are out there. Let's hope we can get the good crowd numbers back for the rest of the season.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Great thread, you are spot on!!!

Was never going to miss this game. Even if it hailed. And those who went were rewarded with fantastic weather and a brilliant result from the boys.

Those who sat at home in front of the heater could do nothing but listen to the radio and/or wait for 9:30, so deal with it.
Mate watched it live at 730 on the net with a case of beer and a box of pizza

bartman

Immortal
I'm not a fan of bagging out other supporters for whether they come to a game or not.

I went, and had an absolute ball. It was a great game on the field and a great night in the stands.

We only got 7,000 there after a day of torrential rain including parts of Sydney flooded and a twister at Maroubra? Who cares how many we got along? If you missed out, then that was your own choice, no-one's to blame.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Why get yourself so worked up about who or who wasn't at the game? As long as you were there, who cares how many other fans showed up?

It doesn't really matter what other people's reasons were for not going last night - one reason isn't any more valid than another and going to the game is a personal choice. You've got some great memories having ventured out on a rotten night to watch the Eels smash the Storm, while others got to watch it at home. What's the big deal?
Spot on, I dont understand this big debate, it's not often we get a sub 10 crowd, lets make up for it against Bronco's.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Fulky agree I was there and as the rain was pouring all day I never once thought about not going.
It goes to show how many bandwagon supporters there are out there. Let's hope we can get the good crowd numbers back for the rest of the season.
Don't be so judgemental u DONT know peoples circumstances with kids etc, so therfore ur comments are silly.

Hurriflatch

Referee
there were people who didn't make it for legit reasons (work, family commitments) but Parra do have a lot of bandwagoners, with the exeception of the Roosters I'd say close to the highest of the Sydney teams if not the NRL

Parra

Referee
Game looked great on my tele.

Why this fascination with crowds? Are you all betting on over/unders? More and more people seem to be distracted by soap-opera elements of the game instead of the sport. Screw crowd numbers - who cares?

If you enjoy going to the footy then go. If you enjoy watching it on tele then do that.

Bipolarbear

Juniors
I tell you what, I reckon there's a few of you Sydney-siders that will be annoyed at yourselves for not going to the game last night, well worth getting influenza over.

(Long time lurker, first time poster etc)

MrT

Juniors
Just because you enjoy sitting in the pissing rain doesn't mean you should give anyone else sh*t for not doing the same.

Moron.

funny thing is it didn't rain. I went and sat in the cold while I was ill, not looking for a pat on the back but I thought we should have had at least 12,000 to make a statement in those conditions and thats being generous.
You would have to have been there to comment on the weather, as you werten't don't assume it rained.

I was there and will remember it forever, especially the part where I ran to the front of the fence when Slater was sin binned and offered to take him on, yes I lost my cool and regret it now but hey I bleed for my beloved eels and a bit of rain wasn't going to keep me away.

On another note, Ozzie forgot to send the letter to the players lol....good stuff they fired up. Stuff the blues jersey, Hayne is first and foremost a PARRAMATTA EEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrT

Juniors
Game looked great on my tele.

Why this fascination with crowds? Are you all betting on over/unders? More and more people seem to be distracted by soap-opera elements of the game instead of the sport. Screw crowd numbers - who cares?

If you enjoy going to the footy then go. If you enjoy watching it on tele then do that.

Going to the game and paying for the ticket supports your club. Do you think the Parramatta Eels would exist if everyone watched them on TV?

Good on you watch the game from the TV, but just remember it's those that go to games that allow you to watch it from your TV set

Swiftstylez

Bench
Uhm I drove from 200km away and it was pouring down when I left and got even worse when I was driving. I have traveled from 1000km away a number of times before this year of living in NSW when I lived in Queensland. The rain meant little to me. Who cares if you get a bit wet watching your team play one of the most controversial NRL teams of all time and absolutely giving it to them.

Gronk

Staff member
Weather or not, it was a pretty embarrassing turn out. Just shows how hard it is to fill a stadium in Sydney. Parra vs Dogs semi you get 70k. Parra vs Storm GF cheaters revenge on a rainy day you'd still think 15/17k but we get 7k. Judging on the amount of cops and private security they had at the ground it was a surprise for Ozzie & Parra Trust as well.

We have been accused of being bandwagoners. Supporters who follow a winning team. I wonder if we had good form going into this match and had the same weather if things would be different. Sadly I think it would be.

Last edited:

Gordy

Juniors
Uhm I drove from 200km away and it was pouring down when I left and got even worse when I was driving. I have traveled from 1000km away a number of times before this year of living in NSW when I lived in Queensland. The rain meant little to me. Who cares if you get a bit wet watching your team play one of the most controversial NRL teams of all time and absolutely giving it to them.

I (at first hesitantly) made the trek from Dubvegas, about 400 kms, with a shocking cold and returned back home yesterday at lunchtime (sorry I couldn't meet anyone on the forums it was very rushed) and I would do it again and again. What a fantastic night and a brilliant game to see. As far as the crowd goes, there may have only been 7,000 but it sounded double that. What a fantastic effort by both the team and the supporters. A game I'll never forget either. :clap:

If the boys can show that sort of passion every week we will be unstoppable. :cool:

Weather or not, it was a pretty embarrassing turn out. Just shows how hard it is to fill a stadium in Sydney. Parra vs Dogs semi you get 70k. Parra vs Storm GF cheaters revenge on a rainy day you'd still think 15/17k but we get 7k. Judging on the amount of cops and private security they had at the ground it was a surprise for Ozzie & Parra Trust as well.

We have been accused of being bandwagoners. Supporters who follow a winning team. I wonder if we had good form going into this match and had the same weather if things would be different. Sadly I think it would be.

Sad to say Gronk, but in real terms, Parramatta fans are exceptionally fickle.

Now I will preface what I am about to say, in that these are my observations as a Season Ticket Holder since 1997 and a regular attendee at Parramatta games from 1996 onward at all venues. I have been through many highs and lows with this team, and the only times I could not attend is when I make commitments to other events, as in I am running things when games are play or as I was last year I was preparing for surgery.

We are the poster children for signing when we are winning.

Lots has been made about membership and promoting it heavily, the new members rewards program is an effort to keep people in membership year on year, but to my mind, regardless of the good deals and the somewhat inside information offered with the e-mails, to my mind, people what to by things when we are winning, because people want to be part of the club when we are winning.

I think the Prime Example is the last 3 years membership. 2008 off the back of the 2007 season where we made it to the grand final qualifier, we got 5500 Season Ticket Holders and about 1000 B&G army members. in 2009 off the back of the terrible 2008 season, we have 3750 season ticket Holders and about 600 B&G army members. Again this year we have picked up our membership because in no small part to Parramatta'a amazing late season run and unlikely Grand Final appearance, but if we don't find that consistent form, if we don't make the Grand Final and indeed if we don't win the premiership, will we see an increase.

It would seem at the smallest piece of adversity or poor form our numbers drop off. So the question is, if that happens when we slip out of the top 8 for 1 round, and are playing at Home against the team that Defeated us in a Grand Final game, then what is going to happen if we have an unfortunate injury and the club performs poorly for a year. Will we see the numbers like we did at the Parramatta vs New Zealand match that ended the Eels season in 2008?

Our fans are Fickle, if we are not winning, they don't turn up. Most would call it their consumers rights to not patronize something they don't like. I personally would call that a lack of a "Club" attitude, and would make them not members of our club, but consumers of our clubs success.

MickRad

Juniors
Well 7500 made the noise of 15000, but I was disappoiinted that no even 10k of fans could make the effort.
I drove up from the Canberra for the game and was very happy that I did. There were heaps of undercover seats available if people wanted to sit out of the non-existant rain anyway...

Parra

Referee
Going to the game and paying for the ticket supports your club. Do you think the Parramatta Eels would exist if everyone watched them on TV?

Good on you watch the game from the TV, but just remember it's those that go to games that allow you to watch it from your TV set

That is just not true. Sounds nice - but it is wrong.

The game is funded by TV revenue. This dwarfs other income.

The best things you can do for the Eels are get a platinum foxtel connection, watch every game on Channel 9 and stick your wages through the wackers at the leagues club.

The club would benefit more if those who turned up to matches stuck some cash in the pokies instead.

Turning up to live footy is not about supporting the club financially. It is about exciting entertainment, atmosphere and providing a home ground advantage to help the team win. These are all sporting elements - not financial. Let the managers worry about the money side of the game. The ratings, the crowds, the cash.

Fans should only be concerned with the sport. As other have pointed out - get it right on the field and the rest follows - crowds, sponsors etc.

jono

Juniors
I had always made the choice to come down from Newcastle no matter what when the draw was announced. Even driving through the tempest on top of Mt White wasn't too bad.
And whilst I'm a bit disappointed there weren't more of us there, the most important thing is the boys won the fight , they won the match and they played the closest they have to the way they played in the back end of last year- Strong in your face defence , up-tempo 2nd 3rd & 4th phase passing rushes , confident kick-chase . As I said to my mate , pity it was 8 months too late.
Onward to better things!!!!!!! Def going to my "home" game @EAS tomorrow week.

Parra Guru

Coach
Lets face it, whilst it is a crap time of year with flu, weather etc, and I can perfectly understand the sick and families staying in for that one, the real factor keeping everyone else away was Parra's form in the previous two weeks.

The rain was a convenient clincher.