What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dissapointing statement made by fans last night

Eels Dude

Coach
That is just not true. Sounds nice - but it is wrong.

The game is funded by TV revenue. This dwarfs other income.

The best things you can do for the Eels are get a platinum foxtel connection, watch every game on Channel 9 and stick your wages through the wackers at the leagues club.

The club would benefit more if those who turned up to matches stuck some cash in the pokies instead.

Turning up to live footy is not about supporting the club financially. It is about exciting entertainment, atmosphere and providing a home ground advantage to help the team win. These are all sporting elements - not financial. Let the managers worry about the money side of the game. The ratings, the crowds, the cash.

Fans should only be concerned with the sport. As other have pointed out - get it right on the field and the rest follows - crowds, sponsors etc.

Fair points... but the tv deal funds the NRL not the club. The grant is the same for every club so signing up to Foxtel doesn't help Parramatta specifically.

Also you're ignoring the value of sponsorship. Great crowds equals higher paying and more sponsors.

HevyDevy

Coach
Lets face it, whilst it is a crap time of year with flu, weather etc, and I can perfectly understand the sick and families staying in for that one, the real factor keeping everyone else away was Parra's form in the previous two weeks.

The rain was a convenient clincher.

Well, no.

HevyDevy

Coach
funny thing is it didn't rain.

And as I have said multiple times during this thread - and am about to say again especially for you - it doesn't matter whether or not it rained during the game. It was raining all day and that's when most people decide whether or not to go.

Good on you for going but this talk about bandwagon supporters is pathetic. Anyone that brings it up is a dribbler.

Parra Guru

Coach
It's alright HD. I'm happy that you're happy with your choices, but pretty sure if we were on winning streak, for the GRAND FINAL REPLAY we would have got a lot more in there on Friday night.

Also you're ignoring the value of sponsorship. Great crowds equals higher paying and more sponsors.

I think Newcastle, Canberra and Manly were also recently sprouting that more Friday night prime time TV games leads to attracting higher sponsorship dollars and maintaining current sponsorships.

It's alright HD. I'm happy that you're happy with your choices, but pretty sure if we were on winning streak, for the GRAND FINAL REPLAY we would have got a lot more in there on Friday night.

I think that is the point, if we are losing a Rainy day leading into a game is enough to keep fans away.

If we are winning and on a hot streak, Parramatta fans could well walk a mile in the snow barefoot to see their club play.

strider

Post Whore
i'd say the following kept people away:

4,000 - bad weather
4,000 - bad form of parra leading up
4,000 - opposition from far away

HevyDevy

Coach
I think that is the point, if we are losing a Rainy day leading into a game is enough to keep fans away.

If we are winning and on a hot streak, Parramatta fans could well walk a mile in the snow barefoot to see their club play.

A rainy day :lol:

If there was a God, I would say he took a truly massive dump on Sydney that day.

Anyway, I have free parking right next to the stadium and free tickets on halfway under cover but I still didn't go.

Am I a bandwagon supporter?

Suitman

Post Whore
There were 12000 pre-sold tickets. With walk ups on a fine night, we were looking at maybe a 16-17000 crowd.
I have no doubt that the rain had EVERYTHING to do with the poor turnout.

Suity

Parra Guru

Coach

If there was a God, I would say he took a truly massive dump on Sydney that day.

Anyway, I have free parking right next to the stadium and free tickets on halfway under cover but I still didn't go.

No, in that case, you're what I'd call a soft c*ck. :)

Fine, it was f**king torrential,

Not had we seen rain like that since the biblical floods.

People were asking me if I knew how long a cubit was, so they could build an Ark to God's specification, as the Parramatta River Burst its banks at the Barry Whilde Bridge (by 30 cms).

But all of them were over reacting, and some of us got out to the game on a mostly pleasant Friday night at Parramatta. The cloud cover kept the area mostly temperate, and we experienced a game that was much better than Origin.

Having said that I went to Origin and was sitting on Level 1 for the entire game in the Torrential rain as well. Under the drip line which coincidently were big enough to knock a drunk off balance. I still went, I put on a poncho and I still went.

If you didn't go thats fine, it is your decision and I am sure in your life you have other things to worry about then getting to a game.

But you missed out on one of the best experiences people have had a Parramatta stadium in at least the last 5 years, and it shows you to be a typical Parramatta supporter.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I was always gonna go, nothing was gonna stop me from going to this game.

The thing was there wasnt much hype in the build up to this game, which was really disappointing.

And the fact that Ch 9 decided to put this game at 9.30, the earlier game always gets more hype.

Still it doesnt excuse a very ordinary crowd, shouldve been at least 10,000 people.

The other thing I was annoyed about was after the club at a pub nearby was a Parra fan getting p1ssed off when someone already announced Parra had won while he was watching the game.

Well get the f*kkin game you lazy bastard.

MickRad

Juniors
There were 12000 pre-sold tickets. With walk ups on a fine night, we were looking at maybe a 16-17000 crowd.
I have no doubt that the rain had EVERYTHING to do with the poor turnout.

I was amazed that so many people bought tickets, but didn't show.
I got tickets on the very edge of the Thornett Stand (to avoid rain) and we all shifted in closer to the empty seats when the game started...

Last edited:

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors

Glad I'm not the only one a little tired of that phrase getting thrown about.

HevyDevy

Coach
But you missed out on one of the best experiences people have had a Parramatta stadium in at least the last 5 years, and it shows you to be a typical Parramatta supporter.

Like many on here, you just jump straight to conclusions about why people didn't go.

For many, going to a game in torrential rain isn't an option.

For me, well, I had plans that night that couldn't be broken. Had nothing to do with the rain. But then, I said that many posts ago.

If you want to get into a pissing contest about how many games either of us have been to, be it Parramatta or any other NRL games, then I win.

But I'm not into crapping on about how 'I'm a bigger Eels fan than you' and all that crap. It's moronic. I actually thought you were above that rubbish MITS.

Apparently not.

:crazy:

Tony Bongo

Bench
With 12000 presold tickets I would imagine we have thousands of fans kicking themselves right now. They had a golden ticket and didn't turn up at the chocolate factory. That's their bad luck but it is not for me to judge them or make any of them feel any worse than they possibly already do. I must admit that I was bitterly disappointed at the time to look around and see an almost empty stadium but in hindsight feel incredibly privileged to have witnessed such a memorable night and be able to say I was there supporting our team and giving the Storm my two cents worth.

fish eel

Immortal
Fine, it was f**king torrential,

Not had we seen rain like that since the biblical floods.

People were asking me if I knew how long a cubit was, so they could build an Ark to God's specification, as the Parramatta River Burst its banks at the Barry Whilde Bridge (by 30 cms).

But all of them were over reacting, and some of us got out to the game on a mostly pleasant Friday night at Parramatta. The cloud cover kept the area mostly temperate, and we experienced a game that was much better than Origin.

Having said that I went to Origin and was sitting on Level 1 for the entire game in the Torrential rain as well. Under the drip line which coincidently were big enough to knock a drunk off balance. I still went, I put on a poncho and I still went.

If you didn't go thats fine, it is your decision and I am sure in your life you have other things to worry about then getting to a game.

No Mark, he'd be a typical sydney sports fan - as the crowd down the road also reflected.

Nothing to do with Parra fans. Everything to do with sydney. we back winners and we dont like the prospect of bad weather

strider

Post Whore
when they talk about 12,000 pre-sold - i assume they include season tickets - of which we have how many? roughly 8,000? .... so i'd say a fair chunk of them didn't turn up too

i think its unfair to judge people for not showing up - people can make their own calls on their own lives ... earlier in the day my thoughts were that it was going to be an utterly sh*t game in the pouring rain (like dragons 06, sharks 09+10, etc) - and that I couldn't be f'ed going for that ... but when i saw it clearing on the radar I made a last minute decision to go - and i am f'n glad i did - best game ever!

Suitman

Post Whore
No Mark, he'd be a typical sydney sports fan - as the crowd down the road also reflected.

Nothing to do with Parra fans. Everything to do with sydney. we back winners and we dont like the prospect of bad weather

Exactly Fishy.
It is not endemic to Parra fans in general, and we are no worse than any other club. We DON'T have any more "bandwagoners" (god I hate that word) than any other frickin' club.
When it comes to following sporting events, Australians in general can be very fickle. Sydney is the worst city in the country for that.
No doubt, the rain was the major excuse the other night. Hell, I even gave it a thought at one stage.

Suity

Latest posts