What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop on the 7:30 report

El Diablo

Post Whore
you figure it out

of course you're denying it happens because your chosen sport is AFL

you cannot be taken seriously after all the atrocities you have defended

Yep, If you run against the grain of what everyone thinks, even if what they think is nonsense, its so hard for everyone to slot you in neatly to their - often - poorly formed view of reality

IN the sense of the media what everyone seems to want is fairness and even parity with AFL.

Costello is right on so many levels, but those in the AFL cannot accept it as it goes against their view so much as to totally screw with their perception of the way things are.

Over the past few years we have become privy to knowledge that shows the AFL as a basket case.

You will find many died in the wool supporters of AFL going on about how great their game is. But you will also find many disenfranchised supporters of AFL too. We'd all like to think that they walk around with big smiles thinking about afl, but they all dont.

Same with league but vice versa.

Its hard trying to come out and say whats correct but the people are so wrapped up in their little idea its not sinking in.

In light of what costello has copped, and in light of the david gallop interview, you must see what these people are up against.

They are up against a billion years of evolution, and in this instance its all designed to make people cling to ideas and group ideas for some form of shape and safety in numbers. This is what they NRL faces. To say Gallop did bad in the interview is plain wrong. But there I go again, saying whats right, yet probably be put down due to what I just said.

When you go round trying to rock peoples realities and perceptions to give them a more healthy view or a more useful view, its hard to get it across sometimes. When people dont want to listen or change views, they usually do so because they have something to lose if they do.

People are very attached to their ideas. They serve some greater purpose than just being an idea. The job is to find out what it is.

RL's job is to keep holding its head high, accept whats happening and dealing with it....a process of embrace and move forward.

We are not the ones in denial, the AFL is. Its interesting, while they crumble amidst their ego and we grow stronger.

They will be humbled. Gallop spoke well.

manoj p

Juniors
To your perceptive eye perhaps. But I can tell you, one thing he was not my friend, was confrontational. Where would that get him in an interview? omg. No, HAD YOU DONE the interview I dread to think what would have happened. And no offence, its just that, one: you dont want to be confrontational or too edgy, and two: to discuss what you mentioned would have bogged the interview down. And lets face it, scoring points on your suggestions would mean little to the flow of his message and little to 95% of the viewership.

It may be the article in question was a mistake, but do you think Gallop has read and remembered every single article. Fair call to you, but still harsh overall to consider it a blight that destroyed the entire interview.

What he did with AFL was drag them down (in a normal and subtle way that was not confrontational) into the pool with all the other sports. Seems that the whole idea is that League is out in the spotlight by itself, and he is making the assertion that hold on, everyone else is out there as well. This "shift" in thinking is an important one and I am glad he foreshadowed whats to come (fairer treatment of league) and foreshadowed such concepts in a public forum

AH, so while not much seemed to be going on to many of you, a lot was. He nailed his target audience quite well. Who do you think watches the 7.30 report? He has acess to media advisors and trainers. He's done enough interviews. He was talking to his target audience. I'd suggest a lot of over 30's watch the 7.30 report, and plenty of 50+ older people. You gotta talk to your audience, so no he's not going to come out aggressive and say "Hold on, lady, watch your tone, you dont know sh*t, woman!" And stuff on the other end of the scale and words to that effect.

Thanks for explaining how I would have conducted the interview, even though you don't know me from a bar of soap. :lol:

There is a difference between the way information is proferred and the information itself.

Gallop lacks the information it seems and the capacity to put it in context.

Weak.

manoj p

Juniors
Frankly, anyone who can't see the ABC agenda manifest in numerous shows, is a moron or a troll.

One show might be a coincidence; numerous reveals something else.

It may be individuals in high places or a remnant of the historical position the ABC has traditionally taken against TGG (ie. since 1907). Either way, it flies directly in the face of the ABC's charter.

age.s

First Grade
And you haven't answered this question anyway.

Tell me what the ABC's interest in sh*tcanning rugby league is. What do they get out of it?

I'm fascinated to know, Mr Tin Foil Hat.

Why do they need a monetary gain to be biased against RL? They don't necessarily need to be pro AFL to be anti RL either. There just needs to be a culture of anti RL in certain prominent pockets of the organisation. Not necessarily hard to believe, RL is hardly universally loved, and ABC is known for it's left leaning (read hippy) views.

I don't watch a huge amount of ABC TV, so I wouldn't really comment on whether or not there's bias there, but I will say that ABC radio's weekend coverage of RL is great. Morrow in particular is as dyed in the wool RL as it comes (referred to AFL as fumbleball several times :lol:). Good commentary, regular updates of all footy comps, good interviews and stories, and they even cover bush footy semi regularly. I get sick of hearing AFL results before RL results on the news, but I think their news might be national which would explain it.

Newcastle Cow

Live Update Team
Why do they need a monetary gain to be biased against RL? They don't necessarily need to be pro AFL to be anti RL either. There just needs to be a culture of anti RL in certain prominent pockets of the organisation. Not necessarily hard to believe, RL is hardly universally loved, and ABC is known for it's left leaning (read hippy) views.

I don't watch a huge amount of ABC TV, so I wouldn't really comment on whether or not there's bias there, but I will say that ABC radio's weekend coverage of RL is great. Morrow in particular is as dyed in the wool RL as it comes (referred to AFL as fumbleball several times :lol:). Good commentary, regular updates of all footy comps, good interviews and stories, and they even cover bush footy semi regularly. I get sick of hearing AFL results before RL results on the news, but I think their news might be national which would explain it.

You can't be a little bit left-leaning and still freaking love Rugby League? I and many of my mates, would argue that point.

I can see where some of you are coming from and nothing gives me the irrits more than "intellectuals" who deride the "neanderthal culture" of RL. But theres a ton of people who watch the ABC and love league (especially amongst an older dmographic as someones else pointed out) and Gallop appearing is better than vacating the space IMO.

Some people have mentioned the RL coverage on ABC's grandstand radio. It is superb and streets ahead of any other broadcaster in the country (and has been for decades). Origins, finals, tests, NRL Games any chance I get I put them on and the soound down on the TV. They also have reasonably extensive chat, previews, interviews etc apart from calls (their coverage is 6 hours on a sunday alone) Stick it on at 7pm tonight and if any of you can seriously say Channel Nines superficial moronic lead up is better then sorry, you aint a real RL fan.

To say that the media organisation that has the best coverage of the game in the country by a mile has an agenda against the sport is a little unfair.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and Gallop appearing is better than vacating the space IMO.
That depends, would they have run the story without him agreeing to appear on it?

"No comment" does not make great press and maybe if we had more no comments then we might get less headlines and coloumn inches?

Newcastle Cow

Live Update Team
That depends, would they have run the story without him agreeing to appear on it?

"No comment" does not make great press and maybe if we had more no comments then we might get less headlines and coloumn inches?

Possibly you're right mate but possibly they would have got a sports pyschologist,a former player, media hack commentator or some random anybody. Its just my opinion but I think its always best to go on the front foot and get your side out there. I know some people on here think he didn't do that well but I dont know how just using it as a forum to point fingers at AFL would've helped much.

Maybe this isn't the best example and its not something we want to get into but remember Mathew Johns & other Sharks players were offerred the chance to appear in that Four Corners and chose not to. Would the reaction have been any different if they had? Maybe not but if I'd been in his shoes I would have wanted to be on the same show trying to set the record straight.

age.s

First Grade
You can't be a little bit left-leaning and still freaking love Rugby League? I and many of my mates, would argue that point.

I worded that sentance poorly as I didn't mean to imply that the two are incompatible. I myself lean left politically.

taipan

Referee
And you haven't answered this question anyway.

Tell me what the ABC's interest in sh*tcanning rugby league is. What do they get out of it?

I'm fascinated to know, Mr Tin Foil Hat.

Perhaps you could ask for starters,why a sports program the Offsiders has 4 out of the 5 panel AFL people ,including the moderator,yet they appear experts on rugby league apparently.
I would suggest when people of influence in the ABC,and the fact AFL has a national comp,it is more to their advantage .
The fact that media outlet,did not delve further into the Carlton allegations ,which were of a very serious nature.
The fact the line of questioning to Gallop,made it appear that rugby league was a unique situation for off field incidents.Peter Costello's observations were spelt out clearly as applying to the AFL and in particular the st Kilda incidents.the female interviewer did not acknowledge that fact ,and if she had done so,her inetrview would have had some balance.She or the 4 cnrs production team chose not to,therefore one has to ask Why?

Last edited:

Green Machine

First Grade
Given that there is an active police investigation and people associated with league have been charged with crimes concerning match fixing, you can't really say there is no problem.
You really are an AFL apologist. Please highlight where I said there is no problem?
There is a problem, the extent of which is still unknown. Gallop says otherwise, and if more comes to light than Tandy, Ayoub and co, he's going to have that thrown back in his face.
It’s a police investigation and a journalist of Leigh Sales standing should know the difference between matching fixing and spot fixing. Match fixing is far worse the spot fixing (and don’t think for one moment I condone it). Match fixing is right there with tanking in the AFL, where the whole side participates in the final result
He said, correctly, that we take it very seriously. If he denies the problem he looks like the Pakistani cricket chairman = foolish.
You really are a dill. Where did I say he should not take the current spot fixing alligation (that didn’t come off) seriously?
Match fixing/spot fixing, is splitting hairs.
bullsh*t it is.
Both are cheating. It's hard to run a sensible argument that one is worse than the other, it sounds like "a little bit of cheating is ok, but don't go too far". Better to say cheating is wrong and we condemn it, rather than be wishy washy and say " well yes, but, its only spot fixing..."
f**k off. Gallop should have pulled her up and said it wasn’t the more serious case of match fixing. He should have than said they don’t condone spot fixing and are taking steps to eradicate it out of the game. Points Shaving has been going on for years. If Gallop would have been a bit proactive and employed a fulltime person to monitor gambling, this may have nipped it in the bud,

Green Machine

First Grade
I love the ABC. I love it as much as the SMH. I love all aspects of news and current affairs in each, but when it comes to the subject of rugby league, they both have journalists that love to part with their manners. Both the ABC and the SMH remind me of the AFL and Union fans amongst the public service in Canberra. They seem to go out of their way to rubbish rugby league,

manoj p

Juniors

I can see where some of you are coming from and nothing gives me the irrits more than "intellectuals" who deride the "neanderthal culture" of RL. But theres a ton of people who watch the ABC and love league (especially amongst an older dmographic as someones else pointed out) and Gallop appearing is better than vacating the space IMO.

Some people have mentioned the RL coverage on ABC's grandstand radio. It is superb and streets ahead of any other broadcaster in the country (and has been for decades). Origins, finals, tests, NRL Games any chance I get I put them on and the soound down on the TV. They also have reasonably extensive chat, previews, interviews etc apart from calls (their coverage is 6 hours on a sunday alone) Stick it on at 7pm tonight and if any of you can seriously say Channel Nines superficial moronic lead up is better then sorry, you aint a real RL fan.

To say that the media organisation that has the best coverage of the game in the country by a mile has an agenda against the sport is a little unfair.

Another who seemingly can't distinguish between sports broadcasting content and news (in all its forms) coverage.

This thread is about the latter.

You really are an AFL apologist. Please highlight where I said there is no problem?

Right here.

The question about match fixing should have been pulled up straight away and identified more forcefully at spot fixing. I know Gallop gave the analogy of no balls in cricket, but he should have said there are no problems of match fixing in rugby league.

It’s a police investigation and a journalist of Leigh Sales standing should know the difference between matching fixing and spot fixing. Match fixing is far worse the spot fixing (and don’t think for one moment I condone it). Match fixing is right there with tanking in the AFL, where the whole side participates in the final result

We have to agree to disagree here. I think the difference between match and spot fixing is splitting hairs. Both need to be recognised as serious and eradicated - as does tanking in the AFL which is a blight on that game.

You really are a dill. Where did I say he should not take the current spot fixing alligation (that didn’t come off) seriously?

I didn't say you did.

bullsh*t it is.

Well I think it is - different degrees of cheating maybe but still cheating and something to be ruthlessly stamped out.

f**k off. Gallop should have pulled her up and said it wasn’t the more serious case of match fixing. He should have than said they don’t condone spot fixing and are taking steps to eradicate it out of the game. Points Shaving has been going on for years. If Gallop would have been a bit proactive and employed a fulltime person to monitor gambling, this may have nipped it in the bud,

As I said, he can't win by trying to lessen what is alleged to have happened. It just looks bad and sets him up to be bitten on the arse if the problem turns out to be bigger than thought. He correctly said we take it very seriously and are acting accordinglt.

Last edited:

I didn't mention anything about a monetary gain - I'm just curious to know what interest of the ABC's is being served by sh*tcanning RL.

I agree 100% with you on the ABC radio coverage. It's the only one worth listening to.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I actually think Gallop done a good job, the only thing he failed at is what a heap of you guys have already said.

He should've answered her question about the Costello article, but finished off saying it had nothing to do with RL as it was an AFL problem and that is who he was actually talking about.

The rest of it I have no problem with.

manoj p

Juniors
The truth is the main problem lies with the ABC rather than Gallop on this occasion. That much is certainly true.

I understand the program will be reviewed early next week. ;-)

Latest posts