What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO Game 1

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yes he def had a roving role. A smart coach will look at the quality of his touches compared to Stewart and fix that.

A smart coach would play him at fullback instead of on the wing, he was much better than Stewart.

And Ricky might well drop him for not playing like a 'conventional winger'

Seriously, how long is it going to be before NSW gives Hayne the #1 jersey?? Has he ever had a bad origin game? Every time he's one of our most dangerous, but for some reason we don't play him at his most lethal position.....

Said it before the series, play Hayne at 1 if you want a chance to WIN the series. It's no good forfeiting game 1 because you're stubborn Ricky.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Not being bias, I think that Timmy would have bent the line more than Merrin. Did Creagh play ?

I don't mind the selection of Merrin - he's been making 140m per game for Saints. But Mannah is bigger, gets the quick play the ball AND would be a factor as a 4th prop. We lost a bit of go-forward at time.
Not denying Gallen's heart, but we could give him a 10 minute breather OR play him as 'central backrower' for 10 minutes with 2 other props out there.

Can't see the point in Creagh - bringing him on just for the sake of giving him minutes seems ridiculous.
Same with Buhrer. Don't know why they took Farah off to put a worse passer than Matt Keating on the field for his first ever dummy half minutes since he played first grade....

Creagh, Lewis, Buhrer -->
--> Watmough, Mannah, anyone.

I think they can do better than Josh Morris. Don't know who, but someone.

Chris Lawrence?

Although in the end it's not far from being the best team we can field. Best first game team we've had in a LONG time, normally we pick total duds in the first game and manage to change as the series goes on.

Gronk

Staff member
Not sure if this has been posted. NSW U16's to play QLD

PLAYER - CLUB
Dillon Khoury - Parramatta Eels
Izaac Thompson - St George Dragons
Robert Jennings - Penrith Panthers
Sione Mata’utia - Newcastle Knights
David Sheridan - CRL
Bayley Sironen - Balmain Tigers
Travis Edwards - Newcastle Knights
Soni Hala - Penrith Panthers
Jackson Hastings - Illawarra Steelers
Alex Twal - Parramatta Eels
Tevita Pangai - Newcastle Knights
Tyrell Fuimaono - Parramatta Eels
Mark McCormack - Western Suburbs Magpies
Liam Coleman - South Sydney Rabbitohs
Oliver Clark - Penrith Panthers
Jacob Host - St George Dragons
Jamie Hill - Penrith Panthers
Beau Parry - CRL
COACH: David Howlett – Cronulla Sharks
MANAGER: Glen Vanderwert – Parramatta Eels
TRAINER: Brendan Fernley – Cronulla Sharks
TRAINER: Cameron Thurgate – St George Illawarra Dragons
PHYSIO/TRAINER: Warrick Sainsbury – Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
WELFARE OFFICER: Brian Battese - CRL

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=nsw-u16
NSW U16's salute at Etihad Stadium
NSWRL MEDIA

23/05/2012 11:35:30 PM

The New South Wales Under 16 representative side has continued the states excellent run in the junior fixtures in recent years by defeating their Queensland counterparts at Etihad Stadium earlier tonight 30-16.
A fourteen point margin was certainly not reflective of the toughness of the encounter however with the Queensland boys taking it right up to our boys in blue.
The night started well for New South Wales when Alex Twal (Parramatta Eels) ran onto a lovely short ball by Travis Edwards (Newcastle Knights) and crashed over underneath the posts to see the side lead 6-0 after ten minutes, however a short time later we were all square again as Cooper Bambling sliced through the New South Wales defence to score for Queensland.
Unfortunately for Bambling, he was injured during the try and had to leave the field, and although he returned later on, his impact on the match was nowhere near as big as it was prior to the injury.
But despite the loss of their halfback, Queensland took the lead in the 18th minute as Fatafehi scored for the boys from north of the border, but their lead was short lived as the scores were level once again after a brilliant effort by Travis Edwards (Newcastle Knights) saw him score underneath the posts.
The next ten minutes were a real arm wrestle, and just when we looked certain to head to the sheds locked up at 12-12 Tevita Pangai (Newcastle Knights) put his stamp of authority on proceedings with a devastating run on the right hand edge which lead to him crossing the stripe despite the attention of several maroon jerseys.
When Travis Edwards (Newcastle Knights) conversion attempt hit the upright and refused to go over the scoreboard read 16-12 in favour of New South Wales.
Despite heading back out with the message of a good start to the half ringing in the ears of the players, it was the Queensland side that put points on the board first, however it was to be their last.
New South Wales scored in the 40th minute after Tevita Pangai (Newcastle Knights) threw a lovely ball to David Sheridan (CRL) who was able to get low and burrow his way over from close range.
And then in the 48th minute Robert Jennings (Penrith Panthers) appeared to have been denied a try by some stout goal line defence by Queensland however he was ruled not to have been held and was allowed to get back to his feet and step his way over the line for New South Wales 5th try of the evening.
Now with the score reading 24-16 and less than ten minutes to play, New South Wales were under immense pressure at their defensive end of the park, but set after set they held on, and then finally in the 58th minute Dillon Khoury (Parramatta Eels) capped off a well deserved win by scoring New South Wales 6th try of the night.
Tevita Pangai (Newcastle Knights) was awarded the Players Player award following the game yet Coach David Howlett reinforced how well his side played as a team.
“Tevita was brilliant tonight and lead the way with some great skill execution and also some roar power however New South Wales didn’t have a bad player on that park tonight,” Howlett said.
“We asked all of these players to do a job when they came into camp and not one of them let anyone down, I could not be any prouder of them than I am right now.”
Having now won the last three Under 16 encounters and six of the last seven, the future is looking bright for Rugby League in the great state of New South Wales.
Click here to check out a heap of photo galleries from the boys time in camp
New South Wales U16’s 30 (D Khoury, R Jennings, D Sheridan, T Edwards, A Twal, T Pangai tries; J Hastings 3 goals) def. Queensland U16’s 16 (S Smith, S Fatafehi, C Bambling tries; S Bobbert 2 goals).
http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.asp...55709&title=nsw-u16s-salute-at-etihad-stadium

pedge

Juniors
My analysis on the game:
I think Buhrer is the first to face the axe….waste of space really…I would actually bring in Josh Reynolds…he could add some spark off the bench even just for 15-20 minutes and has played dummy half
Creagh has to go also..I would be tempted to bring in Mannah for him…I think we definitely need that extra prop and drop gallen to the backrow when he needs a breather…otherwise, watmough is the selection here.
Im torn on Josh Morris..I thought he handled GI pretty well in defence…but it was bleadingly obvious that he is a left centre…he kept stepping back into the defence out on the right…problem is who goes here? Jennings will get torn up GI and im not sure who else goes there….
[FONT=&quot]IThey are the obvious changes to me…Stuart needs to use his bench better also..T-rex needs more time out there[/FONT]

Gronk

Staff member
My analysis on the game:
I think Buhrer is the first to face the axe….waste of space really…I would actually bring in Josh Reynolds…he could add some spark off the bench even just for 15-20 minutes and has played dummy half
Creagh has to go also..I would be tempted to bring in Mannah for him…I think we definitely need that extra prop and drop gallen to the backrow when he needs a breather…otherwise, watmough is the selection here.
Im torn on Josh Morris..I thought he handled GI pretty well in defence…but it was bleadingly obvious that he is a left centre…he kept stepping back into the defence out on the right…problem is who goes here? Jennings will get torn up GI and im not sure who else goes there….
[FONT=&quot]IThey are the obvious changes to me…Stuart needs to use his bench better also..T-rex needs more time out there[/FONT]

After 20 FG games ? I don't think that even Sticky is crazy enough to do that.

Joely01

Bench
Thought Hayne was awesome last night, hope he brings that back to parra and gets the team pumping.

And if i see Slater in the street im going to hack at his leg and break his leg.

That is all.

Springs

First Grade
And Ricky might well drop him for not playing like a 'conventional winger'

Seriously, how long is it going to be before NSW gives Hayne the #1 jersey?? Has he ever had a bad origin game? Every time he's one of our most dangerous, but for some reason we don't play him at his most lethal position.....

Said it before the series, play Hayne at 1 if you want a chance to WIN the series. It's no good forfeiting game 1 because you're stubborn Ricky.

To be honest I'd rather have both Stewart and Hayne in the side then Hayne at fullback and someone like Morris on the wing. Hayne played great last night, better than he has ever played at fullback for NSW.

Creagh and Buhrer out, Watmough and Woods in. I'd have Mannah too but Merrin doesn't really deserve to be dropped.

Grail

Juniors
To be honest I'd rather have both Stewart and Hayne in the side then Hayne at fullback and someone like Morris on the wing. Hayne played great last night, better than he has ever played at fullback for NSW.

Hasn't he only played 1 game at fullback for NSW? Game 3, 2010. Game 1 and 2 was Kidley wasn't it?

Grail

Juniors
So since Game 1, 2010 (that's 7 games), NSW have had 5 different fullbacks.
2010 g1, g2 - Kurt Gidley
2010 g3 - Jarryd Hayne
2011 g1 - Josh Dugan
2011 g2, g3 - Anthony Minicello
2012 g1 - Brett Stewart

That's some awesome stability there.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Hmmmmm

How many games has he played as fullback for NSW?

oldmancraigy

Coach

What reason would you give for not picking Stewart on the wing then?

Don't get me wrong, like what he brings, but Hayne has so many more strings to his bow.

Parra Pride

Coach

Creagh and Buhrer out, Watmough and Woods in. I'd have Mannah too but Merrin doesn't really deserve to be dropped.

Hayne played the final 10 minutes of game 2, and the entire game 3 at fullback, and in usual Hayne form he had a blinder.

#ButPleaseTellMeHowHePlaysBetterFromTheWing

Eels Dude

Coach
Hayne might have more free reign playing at fullback but positionally or on his kick returns he's not as good as the other options at fullback which is why he got shafted to the wing. Interestingly though, last night one his his kick returns where he caught the ball on the fly he ran stronger and harder than any he's made at club level this year.

Parra Pride

Coach
Hayne might have more free reign playing at fullback but positionally or on his kick returns he's not as good as the other options at fullback which is why he got shafted to the wing. Interestingly though, last night one his his kick returns where he caught the ball on the fly he ran stronger and harder than any he's made at club level this year.

He doesn't have to save his energy to try and pull NSW out of the shit they're in single handed.

#HeHasSomeHelp

Eels Dude

Coach
Surely not... So Farah was playing at the ball in preventing a try but Inglis wasn't playing at in an attempt to gain possession to score one :crazy:

Latest posts