What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked in Schedule not so good?

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I remember the main argument last year for releasing the schedule for the entire year was to enable people to plan ahead and get to games, and obviously avoid seeing the usual suspects on Channel 9 every week. Admittedly I was for this idea, but I must say that after the last couple of weeks watching under 10k at Penrith when surely it would of been better having the Souths v Bulldogs game or even Sharks v Dragons I'm starting to wonder, Is it a mistake?

Are we better off going back to letting 9 pick there games a few weeks in advance? I know that we will see a lot of the same teams each week but I suppose thats because they are the best. It's also a bad look for the game, I'm in WA and it was a bit embarrassing today watching the game with my Brother in Law (a mad AFL Fan) and trying to explain to him why our main Tv game only had 8k.

undertaker

Coach
I'm going to love seeing Ch9 get creamed in the ratings if the Broncos continue their run of bad form. :lol: it will teach them a big lesson and will hopefully lead to a more even distribution of FTA games amongst the teams rather than stacking their quota in the same 2 or 3 sides

Looking at the FTA games ahead over the next 16 rounds and given the way the comp has been so far, there's a good chance Ch9 are going to get a lot of dud matches in the weeks to come.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm going to love seeing Ch9 get creamed if the Broncos continue their run of bad form. :lol:

Looking at the FTA games ahead over the next 16 rounds and given the way the comp has been so far, there's a good chance Ch9 are going to get a lot of dud matches in the weeks ahead

Yeh, f**k rugby league, eh?
Lets just make the game look bad.
f**k your'e an idiot.

Suity

user_nat

Coach
I'm going to love seeing Ch9 get creamed in the ratings if the Broncos continue their run of bad form. :lol: it will teach them a big lesson and will hopefully lead to a more even distribution of FTA games amongst the teams rather than stacking their quota in the same 2 or 3 sides

Looking at the FTA games ahead over the next 16 rounds and given the way the comp has been so far, there's a good chance Ch9 are going to get a lot of dud matches in the weeks to come.

Bulldogs have the most Ch9 games.

Good thing they are doing.. roughly the same.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I remember the main argument last year for releasing the schedule for the entire year was to enable people to plan ahead and get to games, and obviously avoid seeing the usual suspects on Channel 9 every week. Admittedly I was for this idea, but I must say that after the last couple of weeks watching under 10k at Penrith when surely it would of been better having the Souths v Bulldogs game or even Sharks v Dragons I'm starting to wonder, Is it a mistake?

Are we better off going back to letting 9 pick there games a few weeks in advance? I know that we will see a lot of the same teams each week but I suppose thats because they are the best. It's also a bad look for the game, I'm in WA and it was a bit embarrassing today watching the game with my Brother in Law (a mad AFL Fan) and trying to explain to him why our main Tv game only had 8k.

Also reinforces the need to increase crowds. Whether we like it or not, small crowds on tv have the power to basically turn away potential fans of the code. Most people don't like viewing or following events or sports which may seem unpopular

Are we better off going back to letting 9 pick there games a few weeks in advance? I know that we will see a lot of the same teams each week but I suppose thats because they are the best. It's also a bad look for the game, I'm in WA and it was a bit embarrassing today watching the game with my Brother in Law (a mad AFL Fan) and trying to explain to him why our main Tv game only hwad 8k.

These early rounds would have been locked in under the past TV deal anyway. Nothing has changed there.

It's past the fifth round where we will see the difference.

If Nein didn't realise Penrith v Titans was going to result in an empty ground on TV compared to Bulldogs/Souths it says more about them than the schedule. It might also have something to do with Gould's influence, the fact Nein don't give a shit about crowds and/or the fact they are obsessed with the SE Qld clubs.

Diesel

Coach
If Nein didn't realise Penrith v Titans was going to result in an empty ground on TV compared to Bulldogs/Souths it says more about them than the schedule. It might also have something to do with Gould's influence, the fact Nein don't give a shit about crowds and/or the fact they are obsessed with the SE Qld clubs.

This

Well said

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yet if Channel 9 doesn't show teams like Penrith and the Titans, then their fans blow up deluxe about how hard it is to get sponsors etc...

Special K

Coach
Yet if Channel 9 doesn't show teams like Penrith and the Titans, then their fans blow up deluxe about how hard it is to get sponsors etc...

Then why not show the sharks/dragons if their goal is to help a struggling team with sponsors?

NAS

Juniors
I think the only thing it shows is that 9 does not know its product very well.

In a week where you have

Last years 2nd play last years 3rd (souths v bulldogs)
A local derby as fearsome as they come (sharks v dragons)

Nine go with two inferior games for the their TV games. Admittedly they got lucky with Melbourne Brisbane in that it ended up close, although going into the games and even the season, you'd say that the souths dogs game was the better option, but to go with titans v panthers over sharks dragons is inexplicable.

But here is a bigger travesty.

In two weeks souths play Melbourne at ANZ stadium in Sydney. Given their form and the teams they're playing next week, it's very likely that it'll be a battle of two undefeated teams, in great touch, who finished first and third last year, with a number of intriguing side stories that include Inglis v slater and Cronk v Reynolds.

So what time is this game slated for? That's right.....7.30 on Saturday night.....the graveyard shift.

How is it that this game, hitch 12 months ago promised to be everything that its living up to be, is slated for 7.30 on a Saturday night?

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Also reinforces the need to increase crowds. Whether we like it or not, small crowds on tv have the power to basically turn away potential fans of the code. Most people don't like viewing or following events or sports which may seem unpopular

Personally, I almost never notice the crowds in televised games.

beave

Coach

In a week where you have

Nine go with two inferior games for the their TV games. Admittedly they got lucky with Melbourne Brisbane in that it ended up close, although going into the games and even the season, you'd say that the souths dogs game was the better option, but to go with titans v panthers over sharks dragons is inexplicable.

In two weeks souths play Melbourne at ANZ stadium in Sydney. Given their form and the teams they're playing next week, it's very likely that it'll be a battle of two undefeated teams, in great touch, who finished first and third last year, with a number of intriguing side stories that include Inglis v slater and Cronk v Reynolds.

So what time is this game slated for? That's right.....7.30 on Saturday night.....the graveyard shift.

How is it that this game, hitch 12 months ago promised to be everything that its living up to be, is slated for 7.30 on a Saturday night?

Meh, look at the positives.

1. At least it will be broadcasted in HD

2. We wont have to hear the rubbish commentating of the channel 9 team

I can't see any negatives with that game being scheduled then to be brutally honest..

skeepe

Immortal

In a week where you have

Agreed. I don't see how Tigers vs Dragons , two teams that missed the 8 last year, was ever going to be a better game than Souths vs Storm

Snappy

Coach

Thats prime time and perfect for this game. I'll have the kids in bed, just eaten dinner and setting down on the couch with a beer in hand, ready to watch a cracking game ad free.

skeepe

Immortal
It's not the idea of a fixed schedule that's the problem, it's the way they've implemented it.

The way it should have been done is the NRL should have given a list to Channel 9 and told them that these are the games they will be covering.

Instead, 9 got their grubby hands all over the schedule and we are left with a situation where some teams have 1 FTA game, while others have 16/20 on FTA, and they're not necessarily the best teams.

firechild

First Grade
The other issue with the fixed schedule being set by 9 is that every year a couple of teams get shafted with regard to home game scheduling. In the past Cronulla and Newcastle have been affected while this year it's Manly. Not surprising that Manly's membership number has dropped for the first time given the abyssmal draw they have. A ground that draws its best crowds on Sunday afternoons has as many Monday night games as Sunday afternoon games. At least if people are unaware that the schedule will end up being crap they are more likely to buy a membership. If you have paid for the game you're more likely to find a way to get there as opposed to seeing that the games are at bad times and deciding it's just easier to sit at home in front of the tv.

Snappy

Coach
FC, At least you get a Sunday game. As far as home games go, Brisbane have two monday nights, and the rest Fridays. At least one day game, either sat or sun, would have been nice. The rest of the comp whinges about Broncos on Fridays, and rest assured that we fans dont like it either.

Truth is, whatever the draw it will never make everyone happy.

Latest posts