What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Renewed for 9th (and Final) Season

Springs

First Grade
They were all adults. I don't see the problem.

On the show, it defs needed this ending to be set. As many have said it has gone on a few seasons too long. I am glad that they get another season to wrap it up rather than ending it this season though, but like someone mentioned they better reveal the mother this season and show their path to marriage a bit ect

Barney gets girls into bed by lying to them and tricking them.
Saying girls are something to get '7 from 7' from is treating them like objects. And it's not something to tell our kids about.
It was a moment when the others stopped being disgusted at how terrible a person Barney is and encouraged it instead.

Barney gets girls into bed by lying to them and tricking them.
Saying girls are something to get '7 from 7' from is treating them like objects. And it's not something to tell our kids about.
It was a moment when the others stopped being disgusted at how terrible a person Barney is and encouraged it instead.

To be honest if it were my dad that was telling me the story the episode/moment that would gross me out the most would be him telling me about the time he had casual sex with his friend (close enough that I'd refer to them as an aunt) when they were friends living together to prevent them from fighting. (Referencing the season 4 ep when Ted and Robin have a rule that when they are going to fight as a means of defusing the situation).

Really to get the maximum enjoyment out of the show, the best thing is to ignore the fact it is a father reminiscing and talking to his kids. The perfect week episode is one of my favourites in the series.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I used to love this show to an unhealthy level. I'd leave it playing in my apartment most of the day & night when I lived alone, I suited up with my mates on a regular basis, and I quoted it ad nauseum.

But it's been on a downward spiral for a long while now. I'd have to go back and rewatch from the start to find where it went off the rails for me. Probably around the time Britney Spears and Sarah Chalke came into the picture.

perverse

Referee
I actually have no trouble suspending my disbelief regarding the nature of the stories Ted will tell his children... although it does sort of break the trope of Ted trying to hide certain things in the stories, such as their penchant for "sandwiches" in college (one of my favourite gags). I guess I just disregard it to allow the writers to tell a story. The show clearly isn't what it once was, but I still watch and enjoy it.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I still tune in and laugh from time to time. Sometimes I even get the same misty-eyed 'awwww' that I got in earlier episodes such as when Ted met Victoria the first time. Barney's recent proposal to Robin was a nice moment.

But damned if they've just run out of things for Lily and Marshal to do. I remember when their storyline took center stage. Now it's just baby shit every week and Lily has been reduced to a series of 'I'm horny and not getting any' jokes in between.

It's like by adding depth to Barney, they sucked it away from Marshal, Lily, and Robin.

Big Pete

Referee
That's what really seperated the show from all the other sit-com dross out there. Just the clever narration gags they'd run whether from Future Ted, The Playbook or the freeze-frame spots.

The show has lost sight of that and instead we get OTT psycho girlfriends & the gang acting irrationally for the sake of humour. Remember when these characters were somewhat relatable?

The problem is, if the show was going to last this long, they needed to expand the cast further. There is only so much continuity you can create with a cast of 5.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's also been breaking the fourth wall and introducing weird, 'zany' stuff like sound effects and shit. That never happened early on.

Storm13

Juniors
I think 1-3 were the beast seasons and 4 (almost) was solid. Season 5 was just over the place, season 6 was full of crazy episodes and season 7 I just cant remember many episodes based around Ted.

Springs

First Grade
I just finished season 7 and thought it was a bit of a waste. Waiting all season to see who Barney is marrying and the reveal renders half the season nearly redundant.

And I don't understand how Ted could live with Robin all these years, listen to her banging all the guys she brought home including his best friend and himself for a while, and not have a problem but then all of a sudden be in love with her again to the point he can't see her without hurting.

roofromoz

First Grade
Haven't watched it for a while, but to me it seemed like it was starting to become The Barney Stinson Show.

Danish

Referee
Don't know if anyone is up to date with season 8... But seriously what a train wreck this show has become. I'll watch it to the bitter end, but they needed to pull the rip cord 2 seasons ago.

Its almost as said as season 9 of scrubs (which I have convinced myself was a spin off show rather than the actual last season of my favourite show)

Flapper

First Grade
You have a feeling the last season will be a ripper as all the loose ends will be getting tied up one after the other which is good, which it needs to be as season 8 is becoming ridiculous.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not the most amazing finish to a season ever, but we finally got to see the mother.

What'd ya'll think?

afinalsin666

First Grade
Not a bad season. Way too many breakings of the fourth wall moments, but they eased off a bit towards the end. So that's the mother, huh? Just a face reveal was a bit small, but oh well.

My theory that i've had for this show forever was that he was telling his kids how he met their mother. But not their biological mother. Their adoptive mother. He still calls Robin "Aunt Robin", because that's what the kids know her as. But he is really telling them how he met Robin, who he has hooked up with after divorcing or widowing their biological mother. That's why he is telling them in one sitting, to give them context for how long and complex the relationship actually is, and to show that he has always loved Robin. It's not about the mother just revealed, but about Robin, as it always has been.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I hated how often they broke the fourth wall in this season. The suspension of disbelief has been harder and harder to maintain.

The ninth season is rumoured (by Carter Bays himself) to take place entirely over the wedding weekend. Obviously there'll be flash-backs and flash forwards, but it's an intriguing way to do a season.

Abz

Juniors
I hated how often they broke the fourth wall in this season. The suspension of disbelief has been harder and harder to maintain.

The ninth season is rumoured (by Carter Bays himself)to take place entirely over the wedding weekend. Obviously there'll be flash-backs and flash forwards, but it's an intriguing way to do a season.
I'm guessing season 9 will be a short season (about 15 eps?), the way a few sitcoms have ended.

Also she (the mother) wasn't blonde after all. There was a false clue given along the lines.

Springs

First Grade
I always thought it would mean something more if it was about Robin, didn't like that he was telling his kids about the mother but there was 8 seasons of everything but the mother. It also might have made the continual 'Ted loves Robin' storylines that popped up every season have a point.

Danish

Referee
the last half of this season really saved a lot of the characters and had some genuine development (besides Lilly, seriously her character is a joke the last coupe seasons). The bachelor party episode truly was hilarious and clever (again, besides Lilly stinking it up with that horrendous "she wants to f**k the karate kid" bullshit).

Only thing that is confusing is the mother. My theory is that the mother is dead, and he is a widower. But who knows really.

watatank

Coach
I'm guessing season 9 will be a short season (about 15 eps?), the way a few sitcoms have ended.

Also she (the mother) wasn't blonde after all. There was a false clue given along the lines.

What was the clue? I thought it was obvious she was going to be brunette

If you think back to the episode where Ted gets left at the altar. He imagines what life would be like if he married Stella and his kids were blonde. Obviously his actual kids are brunette so implies the mother is too.