What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Renewed for 9th (and Final) Season

RHCP

Bench
It's 'How I Met Your Mother', not 'How I Met My Wife'. Robin could be some kind of surrogate mother they never knew about or something, stranger things have happened.

Idk, I lost interest with this show a while ago. But it would seem stupid if the mother hadn't been around for a while imo.

Big Tim

First Grade
But their will only be one episode showing how they meet. The rest of the series would be pointless to you then?

No. It is about How he met the kids Mother.

I could tell you that I met my wife at the football..... Or I could tell you about all the escapades that lead up to the day I went to the football and met my wife.

Springs

First Grade
No. It is about How he met the kids Mother.

I could tell you that I met my wife at the football..... Or I could tell you about all the escapades that lead up to the day I went to the football and met my wife.

So clearly that time you banged that one chick was an important part of these events?

ek999

First Grade
Everytime he has mentioned one of them to his kids it has been Aunt Robin, Aunt Lily, Uncle Barney and Uncle Marshall. I can't think of a time he hasn't called them that

Misanthrope

Staff member
What about the ending of season 7/beginning of season 8 when Ted is at the train station telling that old lady the story of what happened at the wedding when he "didn't want to talk about it" - he kind of looked sad or upset, so why would he be upset if he just met the mother??

Just because he met the girl he is going to marry doesn't mean they fell instantly and hopelessly in love. Maybe he f**ked things up? Maybe he makes one last, unfuriating play for Robin and f**ks up the wedding?

----

TBH, the show has been on the downhill since about season 5. Returning to the Robin Question every season hasn't helped, nor has marginalizing Lily & MArshall to bit roles, or putting entirely too much focus on Barney.

Danish

Referee
Everytime he has mentioned one of them to his kids it has been Aunt Robin, Aunt Lily, Uncle Barney and Uncle Marshall. I can't think of a time he hasn't called them that

In the first episode, he goes through the entire story of him meeting robin, then at the end of the episode says, "and that kids, is how I met your Aunt Robin". He's definitely called her that from the start.

Thing is though after having all the back and forth between them for 8 seasons I think people just started to think it was Robin as honestly its the only logical move.

And they aren't exactly above setting people up by going on about some event like it is the pivotal moment that led to him meeting their mother... only for it to turn out to be nothing.

Does everyone remember the episode where Ted went on and on about these little things in his life that dont seem like much but wind up meaning everything. If robin didn't get sick he'd had gone to a different store, if he didn't have to pay $1 to some hobo he'd walk a different way, blah blah blah he'd never have met the girl holding the yellow umbrella that completely changed his life. They even had him go through and hug all those people because if not for them his life would be totally different..... and he just winds up meeting f**king Stella again. Nothing AT ALL relevant comes from that relationship.

The show is extremely frustrating and to my mind the end is never going to do justice to the peak of the show

RHCP

Bench
'Aunt Robin' doesn't rule her out from being the mother. He's sat them down to tell them all about how he met their mother, maybe the reason he's going so in-depth is because they've never known who she is?

Bulldog Force

Referee
'Aunt Robin' doesn't rule her out from being the mother. He's sat them down to tell them all about how he met their mother, maybe the reason he's going so in-depth is because they've never known who she is?
How do they not know who she is? She is their AUNT Robin, not the mother. Also we know who the mother is now!

Game_Breaker

Coach
They already introduced the Mother, didn't anyone watch the final episode of season 8 when she bought the train ticket?

What about the ending of season 7/beginning of season 8 when Ted is at the train station telling that old lady the story of what happened at the wedding when he "didn't want to talk about it" - he kind of looked sad or upset, so why would he be upset if he just met the mother??

That's because he still hasn't met the mother at that point. He sees her at the wedding but doesn't actually meet her there. He mentioned the "where" he met her was the train station after the wedding

Does everyone remember the episode where Ted went on and on about these little things in his life that dont seem like much but wind up meaning everything. If robin didn't get sick he'd had gone to a different store, if he didn't have to pay $1 to some hobo he'd walk a different way, blah blah blah he'd never have met the girl holding the yellow umbrella that completely changed his life. They even had him go through and hug all those people because if not for them his life would be totally different..... and he just winds up meeting f**king Stella again. Nothing AT ALL relevant comes from that relationship.

The show is extremely frustrating and to my mind the end is never going to do justice to the peak of the show

Something does, although it's a bit of a stretch. Stella's ex offers him a job at the university, which is where he meets the lesbian chick who is room mates with the Mother. She's the ones that suggests her band to play at Robin/Barney's wedding.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That's because he still hasn't met the mother at that point. He sees her at the wedding but doesn't actually meet her there. He mentioned the "where" he met her was the train station after the wedding
Yeah but won't that make the ending null and void? I mean if season 9 is meant to be entirely the wedding, then how does she come into it if Ted's sitting at the station after the wedding? I guess she'll show up when Ted is at the train station after the wedding for a quick segment, but I'd be pretty pissed if that's how they met after all.

After all the stories we've heard, THAT is how they met? Come on...

Big Tim

First Grade
Yeah but won't that make the ending null and void? I mean if season 9 is meant to be entirely the wedding, then how does she come into it if Ted's sitting at the station after the wedding? I guess she'll show up when Ted is at the train station after the wedding for a quick segment, but I'd be pretty pissed if that's how they met after all.

After all the stories we've heard, THAT is how they met? Come on...

Chances are there will be some sort of story to how Ted ends up at the train station, if that is the story that ends it.

macavity

Referee
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but major disappoint when they do show you the mother. She is a bit of a minga.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but major disappoint when they do show you the mother. She is a bit of a minga.
She wasn't drop-dead gorgeous, but she wasn't that bad. I mean I'm sure if they dress her up and what have you she'll be quite cute.

I also think that in the photo below, a bearded Josh Radnor (Ted) bears a slight resemblance to a bearded Ben Affleck.

cristin_milioti_josh_radnor_a_l.jpg