What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Renewed for 9th (and Final) Season

Abz

Juniors
What was the clue? I thought it was obvious she was going to be brunette

If you think back to the episode where Ted gets left at the altar. He imagines what life would be like if he married Stella and his kids were blonde. Obviously his actual kids are brunette so implies the mother is too.
I remember that part about the blonde kids which is why I found the clue weird. I can't remember what it was 100%, but it was in one of the episodes where Ted was dating Rachel Bilsons character. He said he got his first ever glimpse of the mother as she was walking into the bathroom, and we see the back of a woman who had blonde hair (unless it's meant to be dye colour to throw us off).

Danish

Referee
Perhaps we are giving the writers too much credit.... I'm starting to think that their idea of who the mother was hasn't been set in stone for the entire series, or it used to be but then due to the success of the show they decided to stretch it out another 4 seasons and the plan changed.

To me the entire storyline from the outset was geared towards Robin being the mother, but now we know that isn't the case. Makes the entire "lets tell my kids about a decades worth of banging their aunt robin before finally getting to the part where I meet their mother at her wedding" thing seem really creepy.

Springs

First Grade
I'm pretty sure they had a plan each season in case the show was cancelled. I think any of Victoria, Robin or Stella could have been the mother, yet as the show was popular they kept stretching it out.
I also think it was geared towards Robin being the mother, with the show being about his relationship with the mother. But since it was stretched out so much it turned into a show about Barney and Robin's relationship with Ted being the creepy guy who sleeps with every girl he sees and tells his kids about it. It feels like it has less impact now as the relationship between Ted and the mother won't be explored, he'll just meet her and that's the end. So it makes the show an exploration of every relationship Ted was in except the one that worked, if it's true that season 9 takes place entirely over Barney and Robin's wedding.

Flapper

First Grade
I remember reading somewhere that the show had alternate scripts written in case of axing where Victoria and Stella were the mother, depending on time of axing.

Bulldog Force

Referee
thank f**k this show is finally getting the arse.
It's not technically getting the arse though. The show's producers have advised that the show is finishing up as the story's coming to an end. CBS would've renewed this for another 5 seasons if need be.

Big Tim

First Grade
I'm pretty sure they had a plan each season in case the show was cancelled. I think any of Victoria, Robin or Stella could have been the mother, yet as the show was popular they kept stretching it out.
I also think it was geared towards Robin being the mother, with the show being about his relationship with the mother. But since it was stretched out so much it turned into a show about Barney and Robin's relationship with Ted being the creepy guy who sleeps with every girl he sees and tells his kids about it. It feels like it has less impact now as the relationship between Ted and the mother won't be explored, he'll just meet her and that's the end. So it makes the show an exploration of every relationship Ted was in except the one that worked, if it's true that season 9 takes place entirely over Barney and Robin's wedding.

Thats how I always imagined this show ending.

Ted meets girl, flash to the screen with the kids: "And that's how I met your Mother" Maybe a shot of the Mother coming in to give old Ted a kiss/hug.

Show finished.

If they do it any other way I will be pissed.

I dont want to know about their relationship, I wanna know how they met.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm okay with them exploring how he managed to woo his wife. I mean, I 'met' my last girlfriend three years before we even contemplated dating.

Bulldog Force

Referee
You know, considering that the guy voicing Ted in the future looks nothing like Josh Radnor, it's going to be hard for them to end it in such a manner.

Danish

Referee
You know, considering that the guy voicing Ted in the future looks nothing like Josh Radnor, it's going to be hard for them to end it in such a manner.

..... unless they show Ted ditch his friends, embark on a crime spree in Chicago only to be foiled by a stupid kid, tossed in jail then meet his wife through one of those convict dating services

Misanthrope

Staff member

I meant show the courtship and marriage, not their entirely relationship right up to the point where he chains his kids to the couch.

Big Tim

First Grade

You know considering they have shown all 5 main characters in the distant future, I am pretty sure they have this covered.

I would hate to see him woo her. Unnecessary. End the show the moment they meet IMO.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I would hate to see him woo her. Unnecessary. End the show the moment they meet IMO.

It's not going to happen. I've heard that the last season is going to take place entirely over the course of the wedding weekend, so there's the chance they meet at the very end - but I imagine we're going to get the opportunity to see them interact in both the wedding setting and in the future in the form of flash-forwards.

Bulldog Force

Referee
You know considering they have shown all 5 main characters in the distant future, I am pretty sure they have this covered.

What I've heard is that (and I don't know how true this is), but in addition to the entire 9th season being set on the wedding weekend, that the mother will be in every episode. So it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm also guessing that this will be a shortened season, perhaps 15 or so episodes. I can't imagine 24 episodes set over 1 weekend.

Danish

Referee
Don't forget that the mother is working at the wedding playing in the band, so her being in every episode doesn't necessarily mean they'll be interacting.

The sad thing is he show has been in such a tailspin the last few seasons that I honestly couldn't care ow it ends. He fact they've made Ted love Robin right up until the moment he meets their mother is f**king stupid. He has basically spent 8 years telling his kids the story of how he married the first rebound chick he met after giving up on the love of his life (mixed in with a bunch of "oh, but I love your mother more now and am like totally happy" nonsense than isn't fooling anyone)

Bulldog Force

Referee
What about the ending of season 7/beginning of season 8 when Ted is at the train station telling that old lady the story of what happened at the wedding when he "didn't want to talk about it" - he kind of looked sad or upset, so why would he be upset if he just met the mother??

Springs

First Grade
Thats how I always imagined this show ending.

Ted meets girl, flash to the screen with the kids: "And that's how I met your Mother" Maybe a shot of the Mother coming in to give old Ted a kiss/hug.

Show finished.

If they do it any other way I will be pissed.

I dont want to know about their relationship, I wanna know how they met.

But their will only be one episode showing how they meet. The rest of the series would be pointless to you then?

In fact the whole show should be renamed 'How Barney Married Robin' since that's what the show has been about for the last 5 seasons. Ted's just been a side character banging chicks (like what Barney was supposed to be).

The sad thing is he show has been in such a tailspin the last few seasons that I honestly couldn't care ow it ends. He fact they've made Ted love Robin right up until the moment he meets their mother is f**king stupid. He has basically spent 8 years telling his kids the story of how he married the first rebound chick he met after giving up on the love of his life (mixed in with a bunch of "oh, but I love your mother more now and am like totally happy" nonsense than isn't fooling anyone)

Yep. I thought if Ted and Robin ended up together all that shit might have had a point. And after all this 'the perfect woman' Ted has been going on about forever, we won't even learn how the mother is the perfect woman (better than Robin). We'll just see the weekend they meet...and then apparently get married and have kids within the next few years.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Yep. I thought if Ted and Robin ended up together all that shit might have had a point. And after all this 'the perfect woman' Ted has been going on about forever, we won't even learn how the mother is the perfect woman (better than Robin). We'll just see the weekend they meet...and then apparently get married and have kids within the next few years.
I knew he's never end up with Robin, because throughout the series whenever he's referred Robin to his children, he's always referred to her as 'Aunt Robin!'