What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Renewed for 9th (and Final) Season

Danish

Referee
It didn't work on him at all, it was a placebo effect.

Last weeks episode was interesting, what did people make of Future Ted crying?

I assume Ted's mum missed their wedding, likely due to being dead. Alternatively perhaps the mother's mum missed their wedding because of something Ted did.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I assume Ted's mum missed their wedding, likely due to being dead. Alternatively perhaps the mother's mum missed their wedding because of something Ted did.
That was so confusing. Ted's mum (or the mothers mum) death must come into play after this Barney/Robin wedding.

Game_Breaker

Coach

Another theory is that the Mother herself is dying, and doesn't have long to live and will therefore not be at her daughters wedding. Perhaps thats the reason why Future Ted is telling the story of how he met their Mother, since she's dead.

Danish

Referee
Another theory is that the Mother herself is dying, and doesn't have long to live and will therefore not be at her daughters wedding. Perhaps thats the reason why Future Ted is telling the story of how he met their Mother, since she's dead.

Thats a pretty damned good theory actually...

It would also explain why they got super excited about becoming an "old married couple", since that would be a goal one might set if faced with a terminal illness.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That makes perfectly good sense. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens... the only thing is however why would she say "Which mum would miss her daughters wedding?" if she herself wouldn't be there at her own daughters wedding?

Timbo

Staff member
One episode to go.

I'm wondering if the whole 'she's dead' thing is a massive head fake, but I think they've set it up so well it has to be true.

Bulldog Force

Referee
One episode to go.

I'm wondering if the whole 'she's dead' thing is a massive head fake, but I think they've set it up so well it has to be true.

Yeah that's what I think too. Especially the scene where Ted was teary a few eps back and they achieved everything and were officially (in their own eyes) an 'old married couple.'

Not long to go now... we'll find out soon enough!

Springs

First Grade
FFS

So it's about Ted and Robin? Why not just make Robin the mother then? As it is the last four or five seasons have been about Barney and Robin and that amounted to nothing.
And after finally introducing the 'mother' and building it up for the season it's 'oh she's dead, Robin's the main girl'. All the foreshadowing and everything about the Mother, and the story is apparently about how he loved Robin and wants his kids to know. Not only that, but it was crafted as a 'twist' right from the beginning of season 2 apparently, that no matter who the mother was it was going to be about Ted wanting to go for Robin again after the mother died.

Bulldog Force

Referee
FFS

So it's about Ted and Robin? Why not just make Robin the mother then? As it is the last four or five seasons have been about Barney and Robin and that amounted to nothing.
And after finally introducing the 'mother' and building it up for the season it's 'oh she's dead, Robin's the main girl'. All the foreshadowing and everything about the Mother, and the story is apparently about how he loved Robin and wants his kids to know. Not only that, but it was crafted as a 'twist' right from the beginning of season 2 apparently, that no matter who the mother was it was going to be about Ted wanting to go for Robin again after the mother died.

NOT READING IT, but thanks :D

ek999

First Grade
FFS

It would be a bit hard to make Robin the mother when she was said to be Aunt Robin at the end of the very first episode. You are right that it was planned for a while though. Victoria was meant to be the mother in the event that the show was to get cancelled early on. When it became clear that the show was here to stay they changed the plans. Will have to watch it to see how much I like it but I don't like the sound of the ending

Timbo

Staff member
I don't know, that ending was pretty amazing in my book. Suddenly Ted telling his kids stories for years makes total sense.

gronkathon

First Grade
It cheapens the plot line that I wanted to see played out and they dropped too many major hints last season about the twist

Swarzey

Bench
So I'm a little bias when it comes to rating the finale given this has been a show I've watched since it started but I thought it was brilliant. My biggest fear was ending the show at the train station. To skip forward through the years and see how they change and handle events in their life was done really well and tied the show up. Barney's bit with his child was really touching.

I know the biggest gripe amongst people has been "It undoes 9 seasons". I fail to see how. The show was called How I Met Your Mother, but the underlying theme was how random, crazy, sad, happy life can be and the sub plot to the entire show has been Ted's feelings for Robin. It was nice to see him end up with Robin and even better recreating the moment from Season 1.

But f**k, I want more. Breaking Bad left me satisfied, I don't want to let this show go :(

Springs

First Grade
I don't know, that ending was pretty amazing in my book. Suddenly Ted telling his kids stories for years makes total sense.

I know he
has to convince them that Robin was better for him than their mother.

You could pretty much watch the first episode where he meets Robin and that's it, he's met the girl all the stories were about.

The show died at least 3 seasons ago. They milked it for all it was worth. Maybe that ending would have been alright after 2 or 3 seasons, but after 9 of build up, making it clear so many times Ted and Robin can't work, all the focus on the mother and a wedding that spanned an entire season and it was pretty much for nothing.

Springs

First Grade
Also the Barney-Robin thing, the better part of 5 seasons (?) building that up, developing Barney (the only character that really grew throughout the series) only for it to show Barney never really changed and the marriage was shithouse.

gronkathon

First Grade
So I'm a little bias when it comes to rating the finale given this has been a show I've watched since it started but I thought it was brilliant. My biggest fear was ending the show at the train station. To skip forward through the years and see how they change and handle events in their life was done really well and tied the show up. Barney's bit with his child was really touching.

I know the biggest gripe amongst people has been "It undoes 9 seasons". I fail to see how. The show was called How I Met Your Mother, but the underlying theme was how random, crazy, sad, happy life can be and the sub plot to the entire show has been Ted's feelings for Robin. It was nice to see him end up with Robin and even better recreating the moment from Season 1.

But f**k, I want more. Breaking Bad left me satisfied, I don't want to let this show go :(

There seemed to be closure on that particular point this season though. The pining became more then a little pathetic

Game_Breaker

Coach
Mixed feelings

I'm sure if you watch past seasons they'll leave a trail of little hints about what the underlying reason for Future Tedd telling them the story. Here's just some I remember

Firstly, the kids already know how he met their Mother (same initials was a nice touch I thought), all the way back in season 1 or 2, I remember him saying "kids you know the short version with the yellow umbrella". Basically the long version was not any different, it only had a MASSIVE prologue about the chemistry he had with Robin.

Secondly, the pact he had with Robin that if they're both single in their 40's they'll get married.

Third, I think it was the episode we find out Robin can't have kids, Future Ted points out how Robin loved his kids and all the drawings they had of them together (almost like a Mother)

Also the Barney-Robin thing, the better part of 5 seasons (?) building that up, developing Barney (the only character that really grew throughout the series) only for it to show Barney never really changed and the marriage was shithouse.

That annoyed me the most, but right at the very end they did show how he changed when he sent those 2 girls home.

Danish

Referee
I am actually very impressed with the finale. Considering the train wreck that was season 8 and the first half of season 9 they really ramped it up for the last half of this season. You can tell the finale was written years ago as it has the feel of the first few seasons in that there was no over the top nonsense or stupid sight gags.

I actually think they way it has ended truly did wrap up the show in a very satisfying manner. Having the mother die and Ted telling this story to the kids as a means of explaining his feelings for Robyn make the show make total sense, and really after years of thinking "how can the mother be anyone but Robyn" they figured out a way to pull it off perfectly.

Truly great ending in my books. Can't think of a better sitcom finale to be honest, except maybe Cheers. Most sitcom finales are bloody terrible

Latest posts