What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“True Fans”

Are you a ticketed member?

• No

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • 6 game pass

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • 12 game pass

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Interstate member

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

dannyt

Coach
Irrespective of what's happening off the field, I always want my team to win.

I exercise my right to criticize the team and enjoy debating points of view on these forums and elsewhere.

Point blank reject arguments about "true fans", and what constitutes "true fans".

We're all fans on this forum, except for some trolls. You know who you are.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Juniors
I’ve noticed the ugly “true fan” insult is the order of the day again around here when someone has the audacity to question the teams performance.

So was just wondering who will out themselves as not actually paying thier hard earned money to see the team play every week.
I’ve been paying my membership every year for the last ten years, family pass to the 5/6 Kogarah home games.
I think that gives me the right to voice my opinion on any topic I feel like.
I go to all the games I have a ticket to, and occasionally some I don’t, I buy the kids the club jumper every time they grow out of one, the club gets my money win lose or draw.
I watch every game on TV that I can’t get to, even when I think they will lose I still sit in front of the Tele cheering or yelling.

So to the usual trolls, don’t lie, admit if you don’t actually pay the club money to see the games.

According to the back of my ticket I have been a ticketed member for 17 years. I book in annual leave when home games fall on my work days to make sure that I don't miss them. I have a lot of jerseys, a commemorative miniature NRL trophy, a photo of me holding up the real one from when it was at the Steelers Club and 2010 memorabilia signed by Hornby and Bennett. I went to the Grand Final in 2010 and know exactly where to pause the DVD just after Gasnier's try in order to see my brother and myself in the crowd.

But unlike Best Golden Boots, I'm not entitled enough to think that any of this makes me more of a "true fan" than anybody else.

According to the back of my ticket I have been a ticketed member for 17 years. I book in annual leave when home games fall on my work days to make sure that I don't miss them. I have a lot of jerseys, a commemorative miniature NRL trophy, a photo of me holding up the real one from when it was at the Steelers Club and 2010 memorabilia signed by Hornby and Bennett. I went to the Grand Final in 2010 and know exactly where to pause the DVD just after Gasnier's try in order to see my brother and myself in the crowd.

But unlike Best Golden Boots, I'm not entitled enough to think that any of this makes me more of a "true fan" than anybody else.
No you missed the point entirely.
It’s me that’s not the “true fan”
It’s a term that’s thrown at a lot of us that question anything the club does, if we suggest that the team is not playing well, or that perhaps a different coach may be in order, or that we may not win a particular game, or when me and ten thousand other people boo them off Kogarah Oval when they get beaten 38-0 by wooden spoon contenders.
Then we are not the “true fan” for not backing them unconditionally.

The point was not to talk up my credentials but to show people that I put my money and time where my mouth is and even if I think they are crap at times, I still go out of my way to support the club and team, even if that means booing them on occasion when they deserve it.

I have never accused anyone of not being a “true fan” on here for having an opinion, some others cannot say the same.

Some people can't afford to pour money into the club. Doesn't make them a lesser fan.
Again, read the OP.
It’s not about how much money you can give to the club, it’s about idiots here suggesting, as they have done, to me and many others, that they are not “true fans” if they don’t support the team unconditionally, without question or opinion.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Again, read the OP.
It’s not about how much money you can give to the club, it’s about idiots here suggesting, as they have done, to me and many others, that they are not “true fans” if they don’t support the team unconditionally, without question or opinion.
So why do your poll options specifically relate to a financial contribution to the club?

Dragon Blood

Juniors
So why do your poll options specifically relate to a financial contribution to the club?

I decided not to part with my hard earned in protest due to the inept organisation and pathetic coaching choices since 2011. Does that make me not a true fan?

I was at the 2010 Grand Final, then back at Jubilee Oval afterwards, cheering and enjoying the whole experience right from the kickoff. I have a signed 2010 premiership jumper hanging off the wall in my man cave.Does that make me not a true fan?

I didn’t, but I felt like booing the team when we lost 38-0 at Kogarah a couple of weeks back, which in contrast I was cheering and jumping on the lounge Tom Cruise style on Sunday every time we scored. Does that not make me a true fan?

Due to work and family commitments I cannot go to every game, but I do go when I can. Just because I don’t hold a season ticket does that mean I’m NOT a ‘True Fan’?

As a ‘True Fan’ I feel I have a right to my opinion that Your thread tittle and poll is on the offensive side to us ‘True Fans’ Mr BGB

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
No it doesn’t.
The poll is asking do we attend games as ticketed members.
It may cost money to be one, but the poll isn’t about financial support, it’s about how we attend games and support our team.

The whole point is about people who bully others into never criticising the teams performance.

j0nesy

Bench
Nope, I dropped my membership when Dousty bought in the RGRV rubbish and the reduced the number of games at Kogarah and Wollongong but kept prices around the same. I contemplated renewing this season and probably will next season.

I’ve been to 4 games this year and watched all games.

_Johnsy

Referee
I've always wondered if someone has been following Dragons since 1976, yet they only gave us an outside chance on Sunday. Do they fall into the bracket of not being a true fan/believer?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No it doesn’t.
The poll is asking do we attend games as ticketed members.
It may cost money to be one, but the poll isn’t about financial support, it’s about how we attend games and support our team.

The whole point is about people who bully others into never criticising the teams performance.
Nope. The OP is peeved at somone trying to say they were more of a fan than he was, so starts a thread saying he’s more of a fan than others.

Kind of ironic, really..

And if it’s about criticism, so you’re saying it’s okay for somone to voice displeasure at something they don’t like, but not okay for somone else to voice their displeasure at that act if they don’t like it.

Again, more irony..

And if you’re after bullying, I’d say a mob of hundreds of people berating a small number of individuals from behind they safety of a metal fence would be more along those lines..

The Damo

Juniors
The notion of a “true” fan is ridiculous
You are either a fan or you are not, it is that simple really.
If you want to be a fan that only cheers and never expresses an opinion re players, coaches, tactics so be it.
If you are a fan that both cheers and criticises so be that as well.
If you get up each day and think that the Dragons are your team then you are a fan pure and simple.
So in the end we are all fans with differing views and opinions as is the case with any boardroom or organisation. God help us if we were all clones.
Just because you don’t agree with my position or take on things it doesn’t give anyone any right to question my sincerity as to who I support as I said I support the team and that should be accepted as being true.
It is very apparent that many support the team and all the structures around it whilst others support the team itself and hold little or no allegiance for the organisation around it.
We should all accept that and not bring into question the legitimacy of who you say you support.
The real question is are there apologists, optimists, pessimists and curmudgeons within our fan base and IMHO the answer is unequivocally yes, but in the end we are all fans and therefore all equal with no one being a “truer” fan than another.
We disagree on plenty OT - but this is 100% on the money. Everyone here is a fan, everyone here wants the team to be kicking arse, and everyone feels it when they’re the ones getting their arses kicked.
There’s plenty to debate and criticise and agree and cheer on and disagree and get pissed off about, and that’s all good. But questioning the true fan-ness of anyone is pretty pointless.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Do you not? Then who posted above when my long post was edited down to one sentence?
Cutting out the fluff of a post to quote the succinct point you are referring to is the main purpose of the quote function.

Quote editing is changing the text in a quote to make it look like you’ve said something you haven’t..

Cutting out the fluff of a post to quote the succinct point you are referring to is the main purpose of the quote function.

Quote editing is changing the text in a quote to make it look like you’ve said something you haven’t..
Yeah, now I’ve come to realise that your about as sharp as a bag full of hammers, but I thought even you would know what the word “edit” means.