What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

0 point halves

some11

Referee
Every team is trying to copy the Melbourne blue print from a year ago, but they haven't got the players to do it and therefore they just produce this mindless, boring one up play we are now subjected to.

Thanks Matthew Johns.

Paullyboy

Coach
I live in England at the moment so don't see any footy shows, but the fact he must have said that backs me up nicely.

some11

Referee
I live in England at the moment so don't see any footy shows, but the fact he must have said that backs me up nicely.

He also reckons the obstruction rule which saw defenders diving was fine, care to back that one up too?

Paullyboy

Coach
About that.... Any news on a permanent return to the land of Oz?

Lucy can lodge her visa application in May, from then it's just a matter of how long it takes immigration to approve it. Some people get approved in 3 months, some in 12 - really, really, really hoping it's the former.

(For the 99.99% of you other posters on here, feel free to ignore this little chat we are having - actually - get out of this thread, this is our chatting thread now!!)

slamminsam246

Juniors
Another one last night (bulldogs vs manly - lucky to not be 2) and 2 today already (sharks 2nd half vs eels, penrith 1st half vs cowboys)

nrlnrl

First Grade
Another one last night (bulldogs vs manly - lucky to not be 2) and 2 today already (sharks 2nd half vs eels, penrith 1st half vs cowboys)

plus Cowboys only points in the 2nd half were scored in their first set ( and chalk up panther scoreless half for the Panthers )

BunniesMan

Immortal
We've nearly matched last years total already.

I think its just a matter of good teams focusing on 80 minute efforts. Last year very often you'd see a team dominate for 60 minutes then take the foot off defensively for the last 20 and let in a soft try or 2. You're seeing much less of that now.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Been a high number of 40/20's kicked so far this year as well which youw ould think would create more tries.

mattystans000

Juniors
Here's the NRL Round 5 "Zero Point Halves" Wrap:

Game 33 1st Half Manly 18 - 0 Bulldogs
Game 34 2nd Half Brisbane 22 - 0 Gold Coast
Game 35 2nd Half Parramatta 3 - 0 Cronulla
Game 36 1st Half Cowboys 24 - 0 Penrith
Game 36 2nd Half Cowboys 6 - 0 Penrith
Game 38 1st Half Dragons 9 - 0 Newcastle
Game 39 1st Half Roosters 16 - 0 Canberra
Game 40 Yet To Be Played Melbourne - Tigers

That's 7 more Zero Point Halves, out of a total 14 Halves played - 50% of this round so far! That includes one "Shutout" match between Cowboys v Penrith, leaving Warriors v Souths the only game to see both teams score in both halves. The interesting point to note is that Canberra has bucked one trend tonight, becoming the first team this year to come back to win a match, after being held to nil at half time.

I'll update again tomorrow after the Storm v Wests match, with a full list of the Season to Date's "Zero Point Halves", for anyone interested.

mattystans000

Juniors
Monday Night Footy results in a contest between the two sides (for most of the match anyway), with both teams actually managing to trouble the scoreboard attendant in both halves! Only the 2nd match to do so this round. With Round 5 being done and dusted...

Here's the NRL Season to Date "Zero Point Halves" Wrap:

Round 1:
Game 02 2nd Half Manly 16 - 0 Brisbane
Game 03 1st Half Parramatta 18 - 0 Warriors
Game 04 2nd Half Cowboys 6 - 0 Bulldogs
Game 06 1st Half Storm 18 - 0 Dragons
Game 07 1st Half Cronulla 6 - 0 Gold Coast

05 "Zero Point Halves" / 16 Halves Total - 31.25% Round
05 "Zero Point Halves" / 16 Halves Total - 31.25% Season

Round 2:
Game 09 2nd Half Bulldogs 0 - 0 Parramatta
Game 10 2nd Half Brisbane 16 - 0 Dragons
Game 11 1st Half Roosters 6 - 0 Warriors
Game 13 1st Half Gold Coast 30 - 0 Canberra
Game 13 2nd Half Gold Coast 6 - 0 Canberra
Game 15 1st Half Manly 10 - 0 Newcastle
Game 15 2nd Half Manly 22 - 0 Newcastle
Game 16 1st Half Cronulla 6 - 0 Souths

08 "Zero Point Halves" / 16 Halves Total - 50% Round
13 "Zero Point Halves" / 32 Halves Total - 40.625% Season

Round 3:
Game 17 1st Half Storm 10 - 0 Bulldogs
Game 18 1st Half Tigers 18 - 0 Parramatta
Game 19 1st Half Gold Coast 2 - 0 Manly
Game 20 1st Half Roosters 6 - 0 Brisbane
Game 20 2nd Half Roosters 2 - 0 Brisbane
Game 21 1st Half Cronulla 18 - 0 Warriors
Game 24 2nd Half Newcastle 20 - 0 Cowboys

07 "Zero Point Halves" / 16 Halves Total - 43.75% Round
20 "Zero Point Halves" / 48 Halves Total - 41.66% Season

Round 4:
Game 25 1st Half Manly 4 - 0 Tigers
Game 25 2nd Half Manly 22 - 0 Tigers
Game 29 1st Half Gold Coast 12 - 0 Penrith
Game 30 2nd Half Newcastle 18 - 0 Canberra
Game 32 1st Half Roosters 22 - 0 Parramatta
Game 32 2nd Half Roosters 28 - 0 Parramatta

06 "Zero Point Halves" / 16 Halves Total - 37.5% Round
26 "Zero Point Halves" / 64 Halves Total - 40.625% Season

Round 5:
As Per Above Post

07 "Zero Point Halves" / 16 Halves Total - 43.75% Round
33 "Zero Point Halves" / 80 Halves Total - 41.25% Season

Anyone noticing any common themes as they watch the NRL this year, particularly amongst these matches? Is it really just the Imitation-of-Melbourne Factor? Is it the faster play-the-balls coming from stricter refereeing over hands-on-the-ball? Is it a lack of quality players or depth across the League? What do the people think?

The General

Juniors
Anyone noticing any common themes as they watch the NRL this year, particularly amongst these matches? Is it really just the Imitation-of-Melbourne Factor? Is it the faster play-the-balls coming from stricter refereeing over hands-on-the-ball? Is it a lack of quality players or depth across the League? What do the people think?

I think some of it has to do with the new obstruction rules. Almost every team relied on a second man play to score tries last year but with the new rules they are harder to perfect and teams are more reluctant to use them.

firechild

First Grade
I can't speak for other teams but I've noticed Toovey has changed things at Manly with a more defensive focus. Not surprising since Toovey played under Bozo who had the same focus and Toovey was part of the best defensive unit ever seen in the game through the mid 90s. Manly has been responsible for 6 scoreless hlaves by opposition and 1 further tryless half. I think there seems to be a shift in mentality from numerous coaches to defense over attack. The ability to defend your line from repeat sets is extremely important. Changes to the obstruction rule as already suggested may have been a catalyst for this change.

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
I think some of it has to do with the new obstruction rules. Almost every team relied on a second man play to score tries last year but with the new rules they are harder to perfect and teams are more reluctant to use them.

I agree with this statement !
But not only that, how many tries were given "NO TRY" due to the obstruction rules during some of those scoreless halves ?
Maybe we will get less from now on with the new mods to this rule.

Brimmer

Juniors
Lucy can lodge her visa application in May, from then it's just a matter of how long it takes immigration to approve it. Some people get approved in 3 months, some in 12 - really, really, really hoping it's the former.

(For the 99.99% of you other posters on here, feel free to ignore this little chat we are having - actually - get out of this thread, this is our chatting thread now!!)

My mrs is from the UK and got accepted 3 days after we submitted the paperwork. November last year.

Parra

Referee

Less dodgy tries being scored is a good thing.

Latest posts