What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: GFQ2 Sat :: Sea Eagles 32 Warriors 6 (NZW eliminated) @ SFS

Grand Finalist #2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noa

First Grade
Good luck on Saturday Warriors fans. I think as long as you's keep it tight you will win the game.

Terry-Randal

Juniors
cutherbetson looks like missing out again bryant and lestrange are playing too good to be dropped. he could still play if josh perry is still injured. Also there could still be a problem with bell.

jarro

Juniors
Warriors by 10.

The return of Mackinnon to fullback will be a real bonus for the Warriors

Garts

Bench
I'm precious? I never said there was anything wrong with it... and you lot jump down my throat :lol:

Think before you post next time.

You should take your own advice.

For the record I do not think you are precious, just a farkwit :)

Chook Norris

First Grade
hmm now i don't know wheterh to trust this or not

category 1 Available category 2 Available category 3 Available non alcohol cat 2 Available non alcohol cat 3 Available manly fans cat 1 Available manly fans cat 2 Available manly fans cat 3 Available warriors fans cat 1 Available warriors fans cat 2 Available warriors fans cat 3 Limited seats only special offer Alloc. Exhausted

gong_eagle

First Grade
Manly's Bell confident of fitness

September 24, 2008
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24395734-23214,00.html

MANLY centre Steven Bell says he won't jeopardise the Sea Eagles' NRL premiership hopes by playing injured against the Warriors on Saturday night.
Bell rates himself an 85 per cent chance of playing the preliminary final after completing his first training session since limping off the field with a strained calf muscle two minutes into Manly's win over St George Illawarra a fortnight ago.

The former Queensland centre admits he felt slightly embarrassed to pull up so early in the qualifying final and doesn't want a repeat in the grand final qualifier and leave his side one man down.

Manly coach Des Hasler said there were protocols in place to check if Bell is fit to play the Warriors but the player himself said he was likely to make the call.

“I think Des will ask me if I'm right and if I don't think I'm right then I'm not going to go on for two minutes again,” Bell told AAP.

“I don't want to let the boys down so if I don't think I can last the 80 minutes then I won't play.

“I had a run Monday and it went well. I will train today and if that goes alright I will definitely be right for the weekend.

“I'm thinking I'm about 85 per cent at the moment.”

The ongoing concern over Bell is mirrored down in Cronulla where skipper Paul Gallen remains in doubt to play in Friday's preliminary final with Melbourne.

Gallen has not trained since the Sharks beat Canberra two weeks ago but club officials are hopeful he will overcome his corked thigh for Thursday’s final training session.

It was fortuitous that both Manly and Cronulla had last week off as injuries or illness would have prevented several players from turning out in semi-finals.

The potential loss of Bell and Gallen for the grand final deciders would be massive blows to Manly and Cronulla as they face two clubs who are well and truly battle-hardened.

Manly's opponents, the Warriors, have won 10 of their past 12 games to reach the final four with at least their last four games all do-or-die battles.

The Sea Eagles, meanwhile, have coasted to this point after an easy 38-6 win over the Dragons two weeks ago.

“We've had a couple of really good days on the training paddock but that's never the same as a game,” said Manly five-eighth Jamie Lyon.

“We would like to think we are (battle hardened).

“Semi-finals is about completions. We have to get through our tackles and get the ball down the other end. That is pretty much our game plan.”

Manly coach Des Hasler insisted his side were in no better position than the Warriors to win, declaring the game nothing more than a 50-50 contest.

“It is very, very even ground come Saturday night,” said Hasler.

“They've been going very well the last two weeks. They have plenty of good momentum and are playing with plenty of energy mixed with emotion.”

But after making last year's grand final, Hasler wouldn't buy into talk that anything less than reaching this year's decider would be a failure.

“That's something we have to control ourselves,” he said.

“There is a real opportunity there to make the grand final and we just have to make the most of it.

“We have to turn up and make things go right on the night.”

AAP

gong_eagle

First Grade
0,5001,6267287,00.jpg
Price ... grasping for a final milestone. Patrick Hamilton

Price seeking finals redemption

September 24, 2008http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24395910-23214,00.html

WARRIORS captain Steve Price has 300 reasons and four years of heartache as extra motivation for Saturday's NRL preliminary final against Manly.
The Test and Queensland prop will play his 299th NRL game on Saturday night at the Sydney Football Stadium, where victory will ensure he gets to play his milestone 300th match in next week's grand final.

In doing so Price would become the 11th player in 100 years of league history to reach the milestone.

Furthermore, victory would give Price a chance to erase part of the pain of missing the Bulldogs' 2004 premiership win with a knee injury.

The then Bulldogs skipper had to sit on the sidelines with torn medial ligaments as his teammates claimed premiership glory but four years later he insists the heartache of missing the decider is not weighing on his mind.

"You can never go back and get that game. So just because you play a game this year, or in 10 years' time, or whatever it is, it doesn't make too much of a difference," said Price.

"You look for every opportunity. That is why we train hard and play hard, to try and get to that day. I am no different this year just because I missed out in 2004."

A crowd of 32,611 attended Manly's preliminary final win over North Queensland at the SFS last year but, with a strong Kiwi presence in Sydney, officials expect that figure to be eclipsed on Saturday.

Price believes the Warriors, with a handful of Australians in their side, will be well supported this weekend.

"Hopefully there will be plenty of New Zealand Warriors supporters. They don't necessarily have to be Kiwis. But certainly hopefully there will be a lot of New Zealand Warriors supporters," he said.

"We have had great support in Australia and it really excites the boys to be able to go over to Australia and get so much support."

AAP

gong_eagle

First Grade
Orford fearful of McKinnon return

September 24, 2008
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24396226-23214,00.html

MANLY skipper Matt Orford wasted little time in pinpointing Warriors full-back Wade McKinnon as his side's biggest danger in Saturday night's NRL preliminary final.
And Orford knows he'll need to show similar accuracy with his boot if the Sea Eagles are to keep the livewire No.1 in check.

A three-game suspension for spitting at a touch judge has left McKinnon a frustrated spectator so far this finals series.

But coach Ivan Cleary showed no hesitation in rushing him straight back into the starting line-up at the expense of in-form fill-in Lance Hohaia.

Like Cleary, Orford thought McKinnon's selection was a no-brainer.

“You definitely had to pick him. He's a class player,” Orford said.

“He showed coming off a knee reconstruction, he had a input straight away and he's a player who's probably the first picked in your team.

“He's always sniffing around, he knows where to be at the right time and he's very dangerous at the back there.”

There's no need to delve too far into the statistical abyss to find the true worth of McKinnon's abilities.

Despite almost six months on the sideline as he rehabilitated his surgically repaired knee, McKinnon hardly missed a beat on his return in early August.

In his first game back, he ran for 185 metres against Brisbane, while the 148 metres he averaged in the four games he played was good for sixth best in the NRL over the regular season.

“He is a threat, that is for sure,” Cleary said.

“He is the sort of guy who, similar to Brett Stewart at Manly, that they turn half chances into chances.”

Centre Brent Tate claimed the addition of McKinnon would not only boost his side's kick-return, but also give the team an overall lift.

“He will bring a lot more confidence and hopefully three weeks' off hasn't affected him and I don't think it will,” Tate said.

“We all saw the way he came back after that six-month layoff.”

Add the power of man-mountain Manu Vatuvei on one wing and the speed an agility of Aiden Kirk on the other, and Orford knows his kicking game will have to be up the scratch on Saturday night.

But the Dally M medallist denied it would all come down to him.

“We need to have a good kick chase,” he said.

“If our middle men do a great job and give us time we've got plenty of potions there to do the kicking - obviously Jamie Lyon's back now so he takes a bit of pressure of myself and we've got two nines that can kick also.

“We'll do a bit of work this week and come up with a plan.”

The Sea Eagles went into lockdown Wednesday afternoon after their holding their one and only open training session of the week at Narrabeen.

Centre Steve Bell trained with the side but remains in doubt with a calf injury.
Bell said he would give himself up until just before the game to prove his fitness.

AAP

gong_eagle

First Grade
Warriors wary of Eagles' experience

September 24, 2008

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24396330-23214,00.html

WARRIORS coach Ivan Cleary claims the experience of last year's NRL finals series will ensure Manly are ready to go at the opening whistle on Saturday night.

Cleary brushed off suggestions the Sea Eagles would vulnerable in the preliminary final's early exchanges after enjoying the weekend off courtesy of their big win over St George Illawarra in the opening week of the play-offs.

It's in stark contrast to the two bruising encounters the Warriors have had to put their bodies through just to get to the grand final qualifier, plus the trips back and forth across the Tasman the players have endured.

“(Manly) did the same thing last year, so I am sure they have had a bit of experience of what to do in terms of their preparation over two weeks,'' Cleary said.

“I expect them to be absolutely ready.

“Having said that, our self-belief is building and momentum is behind us a little bit.''

Sea Eagles back-rower Glenn Stewart denied the break had disrupted his side's momentum, claiming the week off had refreshed the squad.

Asked about the Warriors building momentum over the finals series, Stewart said the Eagles had gathered theirs over the course of the regular season, a run which includes 12 wins from their last 15 matches.

“I would definitely say we've got the advantage having had the week off,'' Stewart said.

“It's better than going out and bashing yourself up for 80 minutes where we didn't have to.''

Coming into last week's semi-final against the Sydney Roosters, Cleary emphasised the need for a fast start.

He didn't get it as the Roosters ran up a 13-6 half-time lead before the Warriors stormed home to win 30-13.

Against Melbourne in week one of the finals, the Warriors also left it late before becoming the first eighth-placed team to beat a minor premier.

But the two comebacks haven't changed Cleary's tune.

“Both coaches understand the need to start well,'' he said.

“It is always important to start well. It doesn't mean everything but it certainly makes things a bit easier, so I think there will be a lot of intensity in the game and the early exchanges will be pretty fierce.

“It's what finals football is all about.

“I think you have seen in the last few weeks in all the games just the ferocity and intensity is really up a notch, so I am sure it won't be any different this week.''

The Warriors fly into Sydney Thursday with a clean bill of health and will hold their final training run at the Sydney Football Stadium on Friday morning.

AAP

Latest posts