What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: GFQ2 Sat :: Sea Eagles 32 Warriors 6 (NZW eliminated) @ SFS

Grand Finalist #2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wittyfan

Referee
Watch out effie and co.:

In a worrying sign for the Sea Eagles next Saturday, former Manly five-eighth Michael Witt was another Warrior to shine.

Witt's form has come after a push at the Warriors midway through this season to edge him out of the club with a year still to run on hiscontract.

Rejected by Parramatta and Manly, Witt is another player who has been reborn under the guidance of Cleary at the Warriors.

In his current vein of form, he ranks as one of the stars of this season's playoffs.

"I'm not sure whether it was 100 per cent true but usually where there's smoke there's fire, and I did hear the rumours earlier in the year,'' Witt said.

"But I tried not to worry about them too much and just focus on getting back out on the field and putting some form on the board.

"Once the wins start coming and you're playing well, that sort of talk gets moved on and squashed pretty quickly.

"The coach just said to me, 'look, you're signed here for next year and if you're playing good enough footy then you'll be playing here'.''

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24376975-14823,00.html

LeagueNut

First Grade
Random stats: (yes, I'm a nerd)

- The Warriors haven't lost at the SFS since their 58-4 thrashing at the hands of the Roosters in 2004

- The Warriors have won 61% of their games at the SFS, making it easily our most favoured Australian ground to play on (and ironically, Brookvale Oval is third on that list)

- The Warriors have won 4 from 7 against Manly in Australia - only the Rabbitohs have a worse record against us on Aussie soil

- Saturday night will be the 299th first grade game for Steve Price :cool: (i wonder when game 300 will be?)

On the downside:

- The Warriors have only won 30% of games they've played after a Roosters match

- Brett Stewart has played 6 matches against the Warriors for 6 tries and 6 wins

Edit: Nice banner Tim!

Last edited:

Rovelli

Bench
Great stories with Hendo and Witt, who have been great for us recently.

Most times I don't get the adulation shown towards Witt, but he's deserved it in the past two weeks. Hopefully he plays well for another two weeks.

SFS doesn't daunt me. We have, as LeagueNut said, a fairly good record there. I remember some really good games here.

From 18 games, we've won 11 times, and we've also a picked up a draw. So 11.5/18 for near enough to 64%

ozbash

Referee
Kiwis star Soliola wants to see the Warriors do well but was wary of predicting a win against Des Hasler's star-studded Manly side.

"This competition is so unpredictable. Anyone can beat anyone," he told Sunday News.

"The Sea Eagles looked outstanding last week, so they are going to be very tough for the Warriors to beat, especially in Sydney.

f**k, ruben must of fair belted him,, poor bastards still incoherent.

Rovelli

Bench
Hopefully we see some Canberra/Wiki fans there too. Classy effort from them in R26 against the Eels, could've been his last ever game, but we've become bigger and better. No hard feelings for knocking you guys out of the finals.

effnic

Bench
Random stats: (yes, I'm a nerd)

- The Warriors haven't lost at the SFS since their 58-4 thrashing at the hands of the Roosters in 2004

- The Warriors have won 61% of their games at the SFS, making it easily our most favoured Australian ground to play on (and ironically, Brookvale Oval is third on that list)

- The Warriors have won 4 from 7 against Manly in Australia - only the Rabbitohs have a worse record against us on Aussie soil

- Saturday night will be the 299th first grade game for Steve Price :cool: (i wonder when game 300 will be?)

On the downside:

- The Warriors have only won 30% of games they've played after a Roosters match

- Brett Stewart has played 6 matches against the Warriors for 6 tries and 6 wins

Edit: Nice banner Tim!
Lets not forget Manly have won the last 6 from 8 games against you guys.

AuckMel

Bench
I think this will be a classic. Manly "should" win, but the Warriors are playing really well and with a passion not seen for some time.

A much, much better team than the one which floundered in the first half of the year.

Manly by 1, but a Warriors win by 4-8 will not surprise me.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think the fairytail will end for the Warriors on Friday and the bad guys will win it..

McLovin

Staff member
Carn the Warriors...Smash those smelly people with only one good pub in their town...

Last edited by a moderator:

gong_eagle

First Grade
Wary Hasler saw Warriors coming long ago

Greg Prichard | September 22, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...coming-long-ago/2008/09/21/1221935451710.html

MANLY coach Des Hasler said it before the Sea Eagles played St George Illawarra in the first week of the finals series, when he dismissed his team's poor record against the Dragons as meaningless. Now, as the Sea Eagles prepare to play the Warriors, against whom they have mostly enjoyed success in recent years, he is saying it again. Hasler is nothing if not consistent.
The Dragons had won seven of their previous eight clashes with the Sea Eagles, but Hasler was adamant that didn't represent a negative for his team going into a finals match. Manly proved him right, winning 38-6. Now, having had the second weekend of the series off, Manly will play the Warriors at the SFS on Saturday. The Sea Eagles have won four of their past five against them. "The same rule applies," Hasler said. "We can't take anything for granted against the Warriors, the same as we didn't let our record against the Dragons affect our thinking. Finals footy is a totally different type of battle. The games earlier this year, the games last year, they don't mean anything now."
Strictly speaking, the fantastic run of form the Warriors are enjoying began in round 16, when they had a 28-26 away win over Wests Tigers. But significant improvement had actually been registered in the previous round, when they were very competitive in a 20-14 loss at home to Manly. The Warriors have won 10 of their past 12 games, to be among the last four teams standing, and Hasler has great respect for them.
"I've been watching them very closely over the last few weeks," he said last night. "They've got momentum, which is obviously very important at this end of the season. They've tightened up in defence - their attitude is clearly very good there - and they've got plenty of self-belief. [Ruben] Wiki, [Steve] Price and [Brent] Tate are very experienced players who are in great form, and their little men are all playing really well, particularly out of dummy half.
"[Wade] McKinnon will come back at fullback [after suspension] for them against us, and [Lance] Hohaia will probably go back to the bench. That's a very solid side, but the focus, for us, has still got to be on making sure we get our own game right."
Hasler went to Campbelltown Stadium yesterday to watch Manly's NSW Cup team play in a finals game against Balmain Ryde.
Second-rower Adam Cuthbertson was not named for Manly but played to get some game time in case Hasler wants to use him against the Warriors. Cuthbertson, who has played 21 first-grade games this term, was 18th man against the Dragons, so did not play at all that weekend.
"I wanted to have a look at a few guys, and Adam was one of those," Hasler said. "He needed to get out there and have a run. He played about 60 minutes and did well, so he'll come into calculations for the Warriors game. We'll weigh it all up during the week."
Michael Bani, who was a regular first-grader before being injured and losing his spot to David Williams, played at fullback in yesterday's game. He would have been the obvious replacement had either Williams or winger Michael Robertson been hurt at any stage of the finals series. But Bani himself was injured again yesterday.
"Bani hurt his shoulder. It looks like he's gone for the rest of the season," Hasler said. "He hasn't had much luck this year."
Hasler said he was confident Manly centre Steve Bell will overcome a calf injury in time to play the Warriors.

Latest posts