What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: Origin 1 :: NSW 18 QLD 10 @ ANZ

Origin 1 Result :: Blues v Maroons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shorty

Staff member
this was in the prime of his career. im pretty sure it was 2000 (the year after melbourne won the premiership) that noddy was picked in the #7 for NSW and joey was thrown around all over the place for the next couple of years... from hooker... to impact benchie... etc etc...

he had already carved his legend in 1997 and was already considered the best player in the game. it was around this time that he really started to mature as footballer and go from excellent player into one of the greats.

daley spent time in the centres at origin level. fittler played lock. i can't think of any QLD examples because, to be perfectly honest, i don't give 2 sh*ts about your team. i do, however, give a sh*t about selectors not rewarding players who thoroughly deserve it, regardless of allegiance, as it sends a piss poor message to players that could potentially realise their dream of playing origin football. there have been many, many others in origin who have had to step out of their precious little comfort zone to account for someone who has earned selection through form, determination, skill... or all of the above. i'd love to know why thurston thinks he's above it.
Well that's fair enough.

I'm sure Thurston doesn't think he's above it but he probably doesn't want to give up the number he has been playing and been successful at for a number of years for a player who is playing in form currently.

I'm sure Slater would prefer to be at fullback rather than wing and I wouldn't see Danny Buderus being too pleased to be shafted to the bench to accommodate Robbie Farah.

Like I said I would have liked Thurston/Prince half combination - But Prince at 5/8.

And as I said,it's not a fact of selectors not rewarding good form.
They're not going to make everyone happy they obviously think that Thurston/Prince would be a case of too many cooks.

Charlie124

First Grade
Perverse, take a few deep breaths mate. All i said was that Thurston is the long term Halfback and that if Prince were to make the team, he would slot in around others. Its not like the selectors said to Thurston "Excuse me Mr. Thurston, we really really want to pick Scott Prince at halfback but we though we should ask you first, is that ok with you?" and he said "Over my dead body".
Im sure he wouldnt have even been asked, youre talking as if this was Thurstons selfish desision or something. What i meant before was that when Thurston was asked what position he would prefer (Half or 5/8) he said Half because he wants to make it his own. In fact i think this all came about 2 years ago in reference to the Australian team, it certainly wasnt this year, it had nothing to do with Scott Prince.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
i think the blues will win, because they have the best coach in the game. the maroons pack is big. so we'll be looking to run them around rather then run at them. halves.... question marks, they could go to either extreme. dont know why queensland locked prince out. maybe they are try to make it more competetive

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
nib Joins Wizard Blues

The health of the NSW Wizard Blues has never been in better hands with nib health funds throwing their support behind the Blues’ quest to win back the Harvey Norman State of Origin Shield.

NSW Rugby League General Manager Geoff Carr has announced that nib will be the NSW Wizard Blues’ new sleeve sponsors in a deal that compliments the successful partnership the team has had with Wizard Home Loans for the past decade.

“nib has a proud association with Rugby League and it is significant that they have expanded that relationship to include State of Origin,” Mr Carr said.

“The Wizard Blues are one of the most successful brands in Australian sport and nib’s partnership with the team reflects that status.

“We welcome nib’s support and look forward to another dramatic series that is already generating enormous discussion among players and fans.”

NSW Wizard Blues captain Danny Buderus added: “I know how much it means to me and the players to be involved in Origin and I’m sure it is the same for our sponsors.

“State of Origin holds a special place in our game and it is great that companies such as nib have embraced that with their support.”

Former Test, NSW and Knights hero Paul Harragon has been an ambassador for nib since his playing days.

nib’s Chief Marketing Officer Jayne Drinkwater said the health fund was delighted to be associated with this iconic sporting contest.

“The primary objective of all our sponsorships is to raise and drive awareness of the nib brand.

“As the sleeve sponsor of the Newcastle Knights since 2003, we understand the value that such a property can deliver in terms of brand equity.

“Our research has also shown that State of Origin is one of the hottest properties in sport among our target audience of those aged 20-39 years, particularly in NSW, Queensland and Victoria.

“As a result, the 2008 NSW Wizard Blues sponsorship equates to an ideal fit for nib.

“We look forward to working with the team to strengthen our association with the wider Rugby League community and build on our national expansion plans.”

nib is one of Australia's fastest growing health funds, providing affordable health cover to more than 700,000 people nationwide.

Established in Newcastle over 50 years ago, nib has experienced significant national market growth since 2002

In November last year nib became the first Australian health fund to demutualise and list on the Australia Securities Exchange (ASX).

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=51043

Too bad for those who'd already purchased a 2008 NSW strip without nib sponsorship :roll:

Alehana

Juniors
thought more would tipp QLD for this one, i dont think selectors have done justice for NSW, cause they could have got a much better team, a non regular 6, a rookie 7, and quinn on the wing? doesn't sit wel with me,
the aus team was dominated by QLD and this is why they will win, they have more rep players, NSW are going thru a rebuilding phase and this is one game and series that if not hampered by injury i wouldn't be suprised if they lost 3-0. but i'll predict 2-1 to QLD at this stage (very close last match which NSW will win for pride) they should have gone with proven big game players like braith anasta, jarrod mullen or even pierce. but QLD is like Aus A, and they will win by 12 points

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
thought more would tipp QLD for this one, i dont think selectors have done justice for NSW, cause they could have got a much better team, a non regular 6, a rookie 7, and quinn on the wing? doesn't sit wel with me,
the aus team was dominated by QLD and this is why they will win, they have more rep players, NSW are going thru a rebuilding phase and this is one game and series that if not hampered by injury i wouldn't be suprised if they lost 3-0. but i'll predict 2-1 to QLD at this stage (very close last match which NSW will win for pride) they should have gone with proven big game players like braith anasta, jarrod mullen or even pierce. but QLD is like Aus A, and they will win by 12 points

Mate, I hope your not being serious. Braith Anasta has a shocking Origin history (as much as his form is worthy of selection this time), Jarrod Mullen...See last year and as for Mitchell Pearce he hasnt had enough experience ... See Mullen 2007.

Timmah

Staff member
He's been forced to withdraw from the Manly side with injury, christ you're a moron :crazy:

Timmah

Staff member
What's the deal with all this crap hate build-up stuff in the media... noone seems to care for the trash talk anymore...

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Luke Lewis has been called up as 18th man.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hopefully he gets a run ahead of Ben Hornby. He is in great form, and hasn't let the team down once in any jersey he has played in.

Timmah

Staff member
I feel sorry for the 18th man, they so rarely actually get a run... even if someone pulls out they usually draft a "19th" man into the squad :lol:

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah, like poor Anthony Laffranchi. Greg Bird gets shifted to 5/8, leaving a spot open for him. They decide to use Mick Crocker instead.

Timmah

Staff member
Funny how Laffranchi can't get a look in there yet they picked him for NSW... what are selectors thinking?

Timmah

Staff member
Maybe, but it highlights sh*tloads of inconsitencies and IMO is the reason the Rep Schedule is out of whack :(

Latest posts