What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: Origin 1 :: NSW 18 QLD 10 @ ANZ

Origin 1 Result :: Blues v Maroons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charlie124

First Grade
Prince was never gonna play unless off the bench.

But merkin at 5/8?? f**k me dead....

I can only hope he and Inglis (if he's named on the Wing) switch after kickoff.

We all saw the "merkin is now a Halfback" experiment go down in flames, why pick him in a position he has never played before? in SoO no less.

Syren

Juniors
They are saying Prince and Thurston will clash in the halves, but have they played together? Surely its just a move to accommodate K. Hunt...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol: If the NSW selectors were braindead after not picking Anasta at 5/8 and putting Bird there instead, I don't know how to describe the QLD selectors naming Hunt at 5/8 and leaving Prince out altogether ...

beave

Coach
True, but other than that, our team looks a lot stronger, I suppose we will see in 8 days......

Tipster

Bench
I wonder if it was even considered to put Prince as the halfback and JT as 5/8th given that is where he played a lot during his years at the Dogs.

Tipster

Bench
They are saying Prince and Thurston will clash in the halves, but have they played together? Surely its just a move to accommodate K. Hunt...

Yep for some reason the selectors have had a hard on for Hunt ever since he declared his allegiances for Australia.

perverse

Referee
queenslands team looks better simply because they have more quality stock to choose from at the moment. both groups of selectors have f**king rocks in their heads.

prince has been kicked in the guts repeatedly by all rep selectors this year. very very poor. i could even let it slide if there were incumbency issues, but prince has just been genuinely shafted it would appear.

Charlie124

First Grade
I wonder if it was even considered to put Prince as the halfback and JT as 5/8th given that is where he played a lot during his years at the Dogs.

Id say it was considered and thrown out as a possiblity, Thurston wants the 7 jersey long term and wont step aside to make way for a player whos in good form one season, which might sound selfish but i wouldnt want it any other way for such a key position. If prince was to make the team he would be fitting in around others either on the Bench or out of position all together.

merkin at 5/8 is a terrible decision but we still have the team to beat the Blues. Overall happy with the players picked, just a couple of positional changes i would have made.

perverse

Referee
Id say it was considered and thrown out as a possiblity, Thurston wants the 7 jersey long term and wont step aside to make way for a player whos in good form one season, which might sound selfish but i wouldnt want it any other way for such a key position. If prince was to make the team he would be fitting in around others either on the Bench or out of position all together.
you're right, it does sound selfish, and f**king pratty. even andrew johns played in different positions without complaint for his state. plenty in the media and fans had a whinge... but joey just showed his class and dominated from where-ever they put him.

i would expect the same from any champion player to be honest. looks at your daleys.. your fittlers.. etc etc.. none of them kicked up a stick when they were forced to play out of position for rep duties due to other form players.

beave

Coach
F%$k me, I like to know how you people actually come up with that $hit??? Talking out your a$$ indeed...............

Shorty

Staff member
you're right, it does sound selfish, and f**king pratty. even andrew johns played in different positions without complaint for his state. plenty in the media and fans had a whinge... but joey just showed his class and dominated from where-ever they put him.
Was this before he was an established and extremely successful halfback?
Thurston has been playing halfback at club and representative level for 2 years now(more for club).
His game play his been instrumental in the victories - Why should he have to step aside for a halfback that has been in great form but not played rep for years and has little to no combinations with the current roster??
Why should he move to a position he has not played in a number of years?

Prince was dudded,yes it's true - I would have liked him at 5/8 with Thurston.

But I can see why he hasn't been picked and it just takes a little bit of thinking.

cupid

Juniors
What is hunt doing at 5/8? where is anasta and what has brett white done exept be suspened for half the season.

perverse

Referee
Was this before he was an established and extremely successful halfback?
this was in the prime of his career. im pretty sure it was 2000 (the year after melbourne won the premiership) that noddy was picked in the #7 for NSW and joey was thrown around all over the place for the next couple of years... from hooker... to impact benchie... etc etc...

he had already carved his legend in 1997 and was already considered the best player in the game. it was around this time that he really started to mature as footballer and go from excellent player into one of the greats.

daley spent time in the centres at origin level. fittler played lock. i can't think of any QLD examples because, to be perfectly honest, i don't give 2 sh*ts about your team. i do, however, give a sh*t about selectors not rewarding players who thoroughly deserve it, regardless of allegiance, as it sends a piss poor message to players that could potentially realise their dream of playing origin football. there have been many, many others in origin who have had to step out of their precious little comfort zone to account for someone who has earned selection through form, determination, skill... or all of the above. i'd love to know why thurston thinks he's above it.

Eelectrica

Referee
Selectors for both states are in a competition to see who is Dumber.
Qld selectors hold the early lead.
2 games still to go so the NSW selectors shouldn't lose heart just yet.

perverse

Referee
Selectors for both states are in a competition to see who is Dumber.
Qld selectors hold the early lead.
2 games still to go so the NSW selectors shouldn't lose heart just yet.
i concur. NSW are still favourites for this one over the 3 game series i think... although im surprised that the QLD selectors are giving them a run.

Latest posts