What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 World Cup Media Campaign - Lets make a difference

open or closed?

• Total voters

taipan

Referee
Think any media prompting,or fan involvement is a good idea. I remember when the 2000 WC was held in England,I must have been the only driver running around Sydney with a car sticker advtg the event.
Felt like a bloody alien.
Sent a letter off to the ARL c/- Colin Love in 2000,suggesting car stickers etc,never got a response.

Copa

Bench
thommo4pm said:
Surely we could create this new forum and ask the NRL to place a link on it's website to direct the readers of the NRL site to this new forum.
already is a link on the nrl site to a page full of international rl news. look for the roo crew link near the bottom of the NRL home page...

I think a closed but broad membership forum would be ok for ali's idea.

thommo4pm

Coach
Thanks for that Copa.

Has anyone noticed though when you join up as a member of NRL.com and they ask you your favourite International team it only has the big 3.

Surely they could at least have France and PNG also as an absolute minimum.

Dakink

Bench
Great idea - a flood of positive involvement from the public (us) would not only expand and broaden the exposure to the international game in League fans, but also the "swinging voter", fans that watch all codes. The more positive flow coming from the public the more chance that the journos might start picking up on people want ing to know and read about the international game and the good league does as well.

As for the forum, I believe it should be open but ruled like a dictatorship. Any waffle from the Pw's of this world and the get the boot. For positive news and action only. Make no excuses, it's also the way I think the International forums should be run. If you enter the union forum and bad mouth you will be pasted, should be no different here or in international.

Copa

Bench
If it's an open forum.... some may be reluctant to discuss any grand scheming.

I guess it depends on the actual purpose of this proposed forum.

Dakink

Bench
Copa said:
If it's an open forum.... some may be reluctant to discuss any grand scheming.

I guess it depends on the actual purpose of this proposed forum.
Thats true - I hadnt thought of that.

roopy

Referee
If it is a closed forum we will also be able to post proposed letters and get feedback from others before sending them.
I have been working on a letter to the Newcastle Herald about the opportunity for Newcastle to host games. It will be good to get feedback from experienced letter writers.

Copa

Bench
You've got to remember...

in the media there is essentially an empty area marked "rugby league" and they have to fill it with something.... this could possibly extend to the letters page..

The RL folk have to ensure the blank areas are filled with good stuff.

winnyason

Juniors
a idea for the event to work, each host city adopts a team eg north qld - png, perth - wales, adelaide - tonga, melbourne france and so on this is a way to help it work of course sydney - lebanon.

winnyason said:
a idea for the event to work, each host city adopts a team eg north qld - png, perth - wales, adelaide - tonga, melbourne france and so on this is a way to help it work of course sydney - lebanon.

That would be good although it would be better if those international teams would be based in their city but that's not likely to be the case with games spread around so much. Most teams will base themselves in the Sydney area (or Auckland if there is a NZ based pool) I'd imagine and travel to the others venues for just a few days for their one off games.

Hey guys, new to this forum. Rugby League expansion and the international heath of the code are my passion however. I am willing to get on board with this initiative and am happy to do whatever it takes to ensure that the 08 world cup is a stunning success celebrating 100 years of rugby league in Australia.

I think that the discussion group should be membership based, but open to anyone who is willing to CONTRIBUTE constructively. So that way we can flush out any idiots.

Can't wait for the tri-nations this year. I think its going to be a smashing success, hopefully following on an ANZAC test victory to a sonny bil lead Kiwis. This will really get the juices flowing and lay the platform for a top notch world cup.

screeny

Bench
Welcome to the forum, dude, certainly the best and most mature place to discuss int'l RL IMO.

ali

Bench
International RL said:
Hey guys, new to this forum. Rugby League expansion and the international heath of the code are my passion however. I am willing to get on board with this initiative and am happy to do whatever it takes to ensure that the 08 world cup is a stunning success celebrating 100 years of rugby league in Australia.

I think that the discussion group should be membership based, but open to anyone who is willing to CONTRIBUTE constructively. So that way we can flush out any idiots.

Can't wait for the tri-nations this year. I think its going to be a smashing success, hopefully following on an ANZAC test victory to a sonny bil lead Kiwis. This will really get the juices flowing and lay the platform for a top notch world cup.

Welcome, you've come to the right place.

When we get this going, the first thing I will do is invite Ray Gent to adress the forum on what he thought worked so well in England, to help them turn around the media in 2001 and 2002. We aren't quite fighting the battle they did, but he may have some interesting insights.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good thread and great to see the discussion in full flow.

IMO, the subforum as proposed will indeed make a difference and will have numerous positive outcomes.

Ali, roopy has PMd me and ask me to look into it. I can tell you that LU Admin are behind this 100%.

Once you have a title and a firm idea of how you want it to be accessed, let me know and I'll make it happen. There will be one or two ground rules which we can discuss when you're ready but nothing major. I also think you should be a moderator of the subforum.

As for the access issue, my only suggestion is an open to forum for all to read, but permission required to join. ie Open but with a select membership - I think your option #3 says the same thing.
There are subforums like this already.
The F7s Management forum for example is viewable by all members and guests but they can't post there. The only members who can post are those who belong to the F7s Mgt usergroup.
That way the moderators decide who can post (and cannot post) in the subforum.

That's just one suggestion, the vBulletin format is quite flexible. I do agree that such a subforum should have a zero tolerance on trolls or spammers.
It should be kept strictly on a solid foundation of discussion about the promotion and media of the international game in the lead up to the 08 World Cup.

Let me know when you're ready to get started.

Cheers. :thumn

Moffo

Referee
i think a forum needs people who will criticise these ideas as well. It'll help us to get the right mix of ideas and refine the ones that won't work

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sure, as long they are not arguing just for the sake of it.
I understand that's what the open (International) forum is for Moff.
At least that's one impression from this thread.

roopy

Referee
Moffo said:
i think a forum needs people who will criticise these ideas as well. It'll help us to get the right mix of ideas and refine the ones that won't work
I don't think that will be a problem.
We have many divergent opinions in most threads here, and people are mostly able to respect the rights of others to have opinions.
The people we might have problems with are a few individuals who come here for no other reason than to cause trouble - and this particular sub-forum could well draw them like flies to honey.

roopy

Referee
BTW - ali should be moderator of the subforum - and maybe he can nominate another to cover for when he is away.
If it is to be moderated firmly - i'm well known as the 'old softy' of the site - so I'd struggle with the role.

ali

Bench
roopy said:
BTW - ali should be moderator of the subforum - and maybe he can nominate another to cover for when he is away.
If it is to be moderated firmly - i'm well known as the 'old softy' of the site - so I'd struggle with the role.

I've got no prob being a moderator.
Though I would prefer at least one more mod, because I can't really sit on the forum whilst at work. I'm also prone to being off line for a couple of days here or there depending on social activities.
Anyway I will reply in full when I get a chance later tonight.

ali said:
Welcome, you've come to the right place.

When we get this going, the first thing I will do is invite Ray Gent to adress the forum on what he thought worked so well in England, to help them turn around the media in 2001 and 2002. We aren't quite fighting the battle they did, but he may have some interesting insights.

That was going to be my first question, how did they manage to change things in the UK? Rugby League has a much stronger presence in Australia than in Britain so I would think it won't be as hard to reverse the anti-international feeling. Though since Super League I guess we are all aware of the popularity of 'league bashing' (one only has to look at the treatment afforded Gower as opposed to Cousins in the Sydney media). It has always boggled my mind that, given the competition is 50% owned by News, that they would allow their journos to slander their own product!! I have sent numerous emails to the NRL and the telegraph on this issue, particularly re: Rebecca Whoreson.

Steve Mascord is very pro-international league, so he is always a good ally to perhaps seek out. Maybe he could start publicising international results. After-all all the TV networks tell us about England v Uzbekistan in the other code.

I feel that a big turn around will result naturally if Britain and NZ and maybe some suprise packet nations, are able to give us a decent and consistent run for our money. The win in the Tri-nations was music to my long suffering ears. All we need on top of consistent competition is more positive administration, less in-fighting, bickering and ridiculous statements from idiots such as "Beach-volley ball in Iceland" Fitzgerald and less power afforded to the clubs in whinging about scheduling and withholding players from competition. The interest from the public is already there, as is seen in TV figures.

The tri-nations this year must act as a launching pad to a successful world cup, otherwise we are going nowhere. Therefore I'd like to see more pro-active initiatives helping out the pacific nations and PNG. These countires need help to organise themselves domestically and in staging fixtures, as well as help in getting players to PERMANENTLY pledge their allegiances to them. Hopefully this could be much like the ESL helps out european nations.