What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: R11 Fri :: Tigers 18 Broncos 20 @ Campbelltown

Round 11 :: Tigers v Broncos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

wes-her1.jpg

WESTS TIGERS
1. Tim Moltzen
2. Taniela Tuiaki 3. Peni Tagive 4. Blake Ayshford 5. Beau Ryan
6. John Morris 7. Benji Marshall
8. John Skandalis 9. Robbie Farah 10. Todd Payten
11. Gareth Ellis 12. Chris Heighington
13. Dene Halatau

Interchange: 14. Daine Laurie 15. Bryce Gibbs 16. Corey Payne 17. Rhys Hanbury

bri-main.jpg

BRISBANE BRONCOS
1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Antonio Winterstein 3. Steve Michaels 4. Justin Hodges 5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer (c) 7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny 9. PJ Marsh 10. Joel Clinton
11. Sam Thaiday 12. Ben Te’o
13. Corey Parker

Interchange: 14. Ashton Sims 15. Lagi Setu 16. Palmer Wapau 17. Alex Glenn
Reserves: 18. Andrew McCullough 19. Aaron Gorrell 20. David Taylor 21. Josh McGuire

ref-pink.jpg

Referees
Ben Cummins & Jared Maxwell
Sideline Officials: Grant Atkins & Adam Devcich
Video Referee: Paul Simpkins

Toyota Cup Round 11
Wests Tigers v Brisbane
Campbelltown, Friday 5:20pm

NSW Cup Round 10 (Split Round)
Western Suburbs (WST) v Newtown (SYD)
Campbelltown, Friday 3:20pm

North Sydney (SOU) v Balmain Ryde-Eastwood (WST)
North Sydney Oval, Sat 23 May 2:30pm

QLD Cup Round 11
Norths (BRI) v Ipswich (GCO)
Bishop Park, Sunday 3:00pm

r11-wstbri.jpg

Last edited:

Billigan

Juniors
broncos should win easily. 36-6.
with hodges expected back and folau, lockyer and teo in super form and queensland selections up for grabs.

7 years on from the baby broncos victory at the same venue; it would be fitting if the baby Tigers could exact revenge!

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
Timmah, I'm pretty sure the ground announcer yesterday saying something about the gates opening at 3.30 (or thereabouts)? Although if the Magpies arent playing at home, I'm not sure why? It's too early in the season for Arrive Alive Cup isnt it?

mxlegend99

Referee
Broncos by 13+

Tigers will put up a good fight. But if the Broncos have Justin Hodges back... they're just going to be way too strong in every position.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Correct Tiger_Tim:

THREE BIG GAMES AT CAMPBELLTOWN THIS FRIDAY

Sunday, May 17, 2009
Three big games of rugby league will be played at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Friday, May 22.
CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS
Gates open at 3.15pm with the first match between NSW Cup teams Western Suburbs Magpies and Newtown Jets kicking off at 3.20pm.
At 5.20pm, round 11 of the Toyota Cup competition will be played between Wests Tigers and Brisbane Broncos.
At 7.35pm, Wests Tigers tackle Brisbane Broncos in round 11 of the Telstra Premiership. The match marks the 10th anniversary of Wests Tigers inaugural game against the Broncos on February 6, 2000.
CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS
The ground record for Campbelltown Sports Stadium for an NRL game is 20,527 set by Wests Tigers v Nth Qld in round 23 of the 2005 season.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=16590

Match details amended accordingly :)

Mr Saab

Referee
Broncos should win as they have had a 7 day break compared to the Tigers 5. Expect a 16 point win at the least.

benj4

Juniors
I expect the Broncos will win comfortably but if the Tigers turn on the razzle dazzle and a few passes stick then who knows what will happen.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
A win by less than 20 should be a disappointment for the Broncs here. The poor Tigers have been ravaged by injury and look to be fielding some youth. If Hodges plays and Farrah doesn't then 30+. Good luck to the tigers anyway, stranger things have happened.

I'm actually glad that the game is in Sydney (where I hope its not raining). There has been a ridiculous amount of rain up here this week and I don't think the Broncos will be a good wet weather team this season. Because it becomes a forward battle and nullifies our backs.

A win by less than 20 should be a disappointment for the Broncs here. The poor Tigers have been ravaged by injury and look to be fielding some youth. If Hodges plays and Farrah doesn't then 30+. Good luck to the tigers anyway, stranger things have happened.

I'm actually glad that the game is in Sydney (where I hope its not raining). There has been a ridiculous amount of rain up here this week and I don't think the Broncos will be a good wet weather team this season. Because it becomes a forward battle and nullifies our backs.

It has been raining in Sydney too and will continue to rain until the weekend. I don't think either team is suited to the wet weather, although it may ensure that the score doesn't blow out too much in Brisbane's favour.

With a full squad the Tigers would be more than competitive, however with so many injuries to key players I'd be VERY surprised if Brisbane don't win by 30.

MacDougall

First Grade
It's the most well balanced team we've named all season. Two props on the bench for the first time since 2000 BC. If Ayshford and Tagive turn out to be good first graders then it will closer.

On the flipside it's entirely likely that Hodges, Folau, Hunt and co. could make our backs shoddy defense turn into 50 points.

Twigg

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25508311-5018866,00.html

Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah in doubt for Brisbane Broncos clash

By Steve Jancetic
May 19, 2009

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah is racing the clock to be fit for Friday night's NRL clash against Brisbane Broncos, the New South Wales Origin hopeful still felling the effects of being knocked unconscious in Sunday's heart-breaking loss to South Sydney.

Farah was restricted to light duties at Tigers training on Tuesday, with the final decision on his availability for the Campbelltown Stadium match-up to rest with the club's medical officials.

The in-form hooker was floored by a legitimate tackle in the second half of the match, but continued to play a starring role before the Tigers got pipped by a last-minute Nathan Merritt field goal.

"The physio came out and said I was snoring for a couple of minutes," Farah said.

"When I came good the memory was still there ... I was just a bit dizzy.

"I was a bit dazed for a couple of minutes but came good and played out the rest of the game and it wasn't till I came off the field that I felt a bit crook.

"(I'm) a little bit seedy ... I did some light weights today and was still a bit dizzy.

"I've got the day off tomorrow (Wednesday) and give myself a good run out on Thursday and hopefully I'll be sweet."

Farah will be keen for one last opportunity to impress NSW selectors with the Blues team for Origin I to be named on Monday night.

Coach Tim Sheens admitted the loss of Farah would be a huge blow.

"It makes major changes to the team if he doesn't play, and with two training sessions all we've got, it is an issue for us," Sheens said.

"We've got a plan in place if he doesn't play so we'll go with that today (Wednesday) and if Thursday he trains, he plays, and if he doesn't we go with the plan we started today."

Parramatta's injury crisis deepened with news Feleti Mateo would join halves partner Kris Keating on the sidelines for an extended period of time.

Keating will miss three months with a broken jaw while Mateo was confirmed to have suffered a torn bicep.

The double blow has prompted coach Daniel Anderson to name debutant Daniel Mortimer on the bench, while Joel Reddy has been named at five-eighth.

Cronulla's chances of breaking an eight-match losing streak haven't been helped with star playmaker Trent Barrett in doubt for the clash with his former side St George Illawarra on Saturday.

Barrett has several stitches in his mouth following a nasty cut in his side's loss to Penrith last weekend while he is also being hampered by a calf strain.

"It's still got a few days to heal and they'll probably leave the stitches in it for the weekend, but hopefully it closes up a bit by then.

"We really need a win. It's got to that stage now that it's very desperate and we know that."

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has dropped five-eighth Nathan Fien for Sunday's game against Canberra in the nation's capital, Fien's axing coming on the same day he was told there would not be a contract for him at the club next year.

Joel Moon is the new man in the No.6 with Patrick Ah Van coming into the centres.

Meanwhile Penrith backrower Frank Pritchard was cleared to play against Sydney Roosters on Saturday night after taking an early guilty plea on a tripping charge.

Chook Norris

First Grade
wet weather footy.. last time Broncs played that they were well beaten(by Newie)
when was the last time Tigs played in wet weather?

tiger_nick

Bench
wet weather footy.. last time Broncs played that they were well beaten(by Newie)
when was the last time Tigs played in wet weather?

the tigers would probably have the worst wet weather record in the comp. we have terrible records a) at night and b) when it rains.

in saying that the last time we played in the night and rain was when we beat melbourne 16-6

T

Juniors
well for this particular game i think the wet weather might suit the tigers a bit more than the broncos, smaller men that are great dummy half runners, benji turning smaller forwards inside and changing the angle, short passing game etc etc. I think having a wet track reduces the option of going to folau on the kick aswell. I think a dry night and the broncos backs could run riot

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
well for this particular game i think the wet weather might suit the tigers a bit more than the broncos

I agree, I think this evens up the contest a bit. I'm still hoping Broncos by 10+ but can't stop thinking about the Newcastle game... :(

aussies1st

Staff member
Seriously don't know about the Broncos, they are so up and down. Everytime they pull off a good win they lose the next game. Might put my tip on the Tigers if Farah is playing.

Latest posts