What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 reasons footy fans hate Manly

Ten reasons footy fans hate Manly

Former Manly boss Ken Arthurson says long-standing hatred of Manly will help team win another NRL premiership

KEN Arthurson says 40 years of hatred towards his beloved Manly Sea Eagles has moulded an unbreakable bond that can deliver another premiership to Brookvale this year.

"The hate and us-against-them mentality has built up and gathered momentum over the years to an extent where it now works in our favour," Arthurson said yesterday, "and I think it's jealousy as much as anything else.

"It has built a very special bond over the years between the players, the coaching staff and our army of supporters."

That may well be so, but Manly's separatist approach to the rugby league world has made it one of the most hated clubs in sport.

How many people do you know whose second team is Manly? Zero?

For the uninitiated, here are the 10 reasons Manly have made so many enemies over four decades.

1 The Silvertails

WITH no salary cap in the 1980s, the rich bought champions and the poor survived on chook raffles, meat trays, juniors and cheap country imports.

Arthurson had the biggest chequebook in the ARL via a thriving leagues club and superstar Bob Fulton's close friendship with the late Kerry Packer.

In 1980 Arthurson almost destroyed the Western Suburbs Magpies by signing second-rower Les Boyd, hooker Ray Brown and fullback or centre John Dorahy in one swoop. Grudge matches between the two clubs became known as the Silvertails versus Fibros.

But even today, Arthurson still brushes off criticism of the Magpies raid. "Did it ever occur to people that Wests pinched those three blokes in the first place? Dorahy from Illawarra, Boyd from Cootamundra and Brown from the Riverina," Arthurson said.

Still, no other club could compete with them financially. They even tried to pinch Peter Sterling from Parramatta in the mid-1980s and Wally Lewis and Gene Miles from the Brisbane competition.

"I laughed at the Silvertails tag because Freddy Jones used to work on the wharf and Terry Randall drove a truck," Arthurson said. "They were as working class as you could get."

2 Northern Eagles

MANLY were blamed for killing off the North Sydney Bears after a disastrous merger that lasted just two years. It was a marriage that was never going to work because of such a long history of rivalry between the two clubs.

It did nothing for Manly's popularity as the battling Bears were everyone's second team in those days because they were so hopeless.

Even these days, as the Bears attempt to re-establish themselves on the Central Coast, the rivalry still exists with Manly desperately trying to keep north of the harbour bridge as their own junior nursery.

3 Bear hunt

IT wasn't just Western Suburbs who felt the pain of Manly's spending power. The Bears lost champion winger Ken Irvine to Manly in 1971 and the freakish Cliff Lyons in 1986. Manly also signed John Gray and Don McKinnon from North Sydney.

"They came to us because they wanted to win premierships," said veteran official Peter Peters, "That was as important as money. They wanted to be win." Arthurson backs it up by revealing: "I tried to talk Ken Irvine into staying at Norths because he was a life member, but he was determined to sign with us."

4 Arko's power

KEN Arthurson was the boss of the NSW Rugby League and ARL from 1983 to 1995 when the Super League war erupted. For more than a decade he was the most influential figure in the game.

Manly's perceived favouritism was one of the reasons so many of the clubs were prepared to listen to Super League executives when the breakaway competition was being discussed and planned. And it was the chance to finally become as wealthy as the Sea Eagles.

5 Whingers

ONE of the most famous quotes in rugby league history came from Bob Fulton when he declared he'd like to run referee Bill Harrigan over with a cement truck.

The Eagles refuse to just sit back if they feel the NRL has treated them poorly. Coach Des Hasler is still complaining about his champion fullback Brett Stewart being suspended for a month in 2009.

6 Seven tackles

MANLY beat Parramatta in a semi-final replay in 1978 on the way to beating Cronulla in the grand final - thanks to controversial referee Greg Hartley. Hartley blundered with his tackle counts seven times - six times favouring Manly.

He also sent off Ray Price, who was later exonerated by the judiciary.

7 Rabbitoh raid

MANLY are the only club to win premierships in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. They did it in 1972 by pinching champion prop John O'Neill and Test centre Ray Branighan from South Sydney, outraging Rabbitohs fans.Arthurson said: "It's funny no-one complained when we lost our greatest player in history Bob Fulton to Eastern Suburbs, yet we weren't allowed to sign anyone."

8 The Poms

MANLY have hardly won a competition without importing champions from Great Britain. From Malcolm Reilly, who was their greatest import, to 1987 grand final man-of-the-match Kevin Ward, the Sea Eagles had the cash to raid the English rugby league as often as other Sydney teams.

They had three world-class Poms in 1976 - lock Steve Norton, half-back Gary Stephens and second-rower Phil Lowe - when they steamrolled their way to the title.

9 The 'Bozo' Factor

THE league Immortal has always been perceived as having a huge influence over selections for representative football.

Whether it's City-Country, State of Origin or the Kangaroos, Bozo has been involved as either a coach or selector for more than two decades.

Whenever a Manly player is chosen in borderline decisions, it's supposedly because Bozo is involved.

"Bozo's the most competitive person you'll ever meet," Arthurson said. "Of course he loves Manly, but he loves winning too. He has always picked the best available in consultation with the coaches, no matter what club they play for."

10 Enemies within

PAUL Vautin v Bob Fulton, Peter Peters v the current board, Max Delmege v the Penn family. Don't worry about fans from other clubs, they even don't get on among themselves. The 1987 premiership-winning skipper Paul Vautin fell out with coach and league Immortal Bob Fulton. They didn't speak for years.

Vautin also fell out with the late chief executive Doug Daley when he was forced to join the Roosters in 1990 after Manly refused to make him an offer.

Max Delmege, the former property tycoon who bailed out the club when they were broke and about to fold, couldn't get on with the Penn family.

Club legend Peter "Zorba" Peters has been involved in feuds with the Delmege family, more recently with new CEO David Perry, and board members Melinda Gainsford-Taylor and Bob Reilly.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-nrl-premiership/story-e6frexnr-1226143105880

MSIH

Bench
Some pretty gimp reasons in there tbh. I could think of a few more realistic reasons. Predominately based around Manly being more successful than most clubs.

Why would Manly's factional infighting be a reason opposition fans hate Manly? No logic.

Red Bear

Referee
Irony is News Ltd had a far bigger role in North Sydneys demise than Manly ever did. That merger as f**ked, no doubt, but neither side wanted to be in. The greed and fear created by News Ltd, not to mention that their financially struggling clubs were artifically boosted (and we've seen since whats happened to the struggling Cronulla), forcing other clubs to merge, was what lead to our problems.

Manly are still scum, of course, but they dont really deserve the blame they get for our problems.

Slackboy72

Coach
Some pretty gimp reasons in there tbh. I could think of a few more realistic reasons. Predominately based around Manly being more successful than most clubs.

Why would Manly's factional infighting be a reason opposition fans hate Manly? No logic.

Never really hated manly. They've never behaved like the bulldogs have on and off the field. The only one I would agree with is the bozo factor but not for his selection of Manly players. More for his selection of gimps like mitchell pearce and bwaiff anasta.

PS why isn't stealing Michael O'Connor on that list?

firechild

First Grade
Irony is News Ltd had a far bigger role in North Sydneys demise than Manly ever did. That merger as f**ked, no doubt, but neither side wanted to be in. The greed and fear created by News Ltd, not to mention that their financially struggling clubs were artifically boosted (and we've seen since whats happened to the struggling Cronulla), forcing other clubs to merge, was what lead to our problems.

Well said. The scaremongering and the pressure on ARL aligned clubs by News Ltd to force 2 clubs that have always hated each other into a joint venture was ludicrous. Of course both clubs were going to look out for their own best interests and those of their fans. It was as stupid as trying to force Souths and Easts into a merger or Parramatta and the Bulldogs.

And why would Manly recruiting poms be a reason to hate them?

sting

Bench

Aren't you that guy that made like 1000 posts in 2 weeks from joining then had a meltdown and left the forum?

Anyway, bit of a whatever article. Everyone has their own reasons for hating whatever teams.

I'm sure nobody needs any help disliking Manly and I'm sure they don't care.

If anything, the media should be trying to make Manly look good seeing as though they're the only Sydney team left and they're currently struggling to sell out a preliminary final in a 40,000 seat stadium :?

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
That's the first I've heard about the Bears being everyone's second favourite team during the 90s because they were hopeless :lol: They were one of the top teams for the majority of the decade!

Patorick

Staff member
So will there be a "10 reasons to hate the Broncos" in the Courier Mail tomorrow?

BTW, I'm pretty sure Manly haven't had a Pommie in the team since 1993, unless you count Ian Roberts...

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
That's the first I've heard about the Bears being everyone's second favourite team during the 90s because they were hopeless :lol: They were one of the top teams for the majority of the decade!

Finalists in 6 seasons during the 90's and in 93 finished 6th (one spot short of the top 5)...

Jason Maher

Immortal
Manly are merkins. And my dad and grandad support the pricks (used to, in my dad's case - he doesn't really follow anyone these days), so there's no familial influence in my hatred.

Gmac

Juniors
Whats with the crazy media attention this week on manly and the broncos?
I have to keep remidning myself that its not a Manly Brisbane Grandfinal on Friday..
There is another game on this week!

firechild

First Grade
Whats with the crazy media attention this week on manly and the broncos?
I have to keep remidning myself that its not a Manly Brisbane Grandfinal on Friday..
There is another game on this week!

Yeah, but it's between Melbourne and NZ so noone cares.