What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 teams for World Cup

hgfds

Juniors
16 if we go with 12 the wc will probably be the home nations and oceania hardly a wc event,after the work in russia and the usa why have them miss out[if russia make the 2007 ruwc and miss the 2008 rlwc we have tossed a lot of effort down the drain] ,the 2000rlwc took the game forward because russia and lebanon where there so the 2008wc should be about going forward not backwards,cut down on emerging nations,qualifers[have ten teams auto qualify],xtra events etc .Good to see the smaller nations are speaking up and telling the rlif we need more than 10.

Paul Condon

Juniors
There must be qualifying for everyone, even though the top 3 teams will obviously qualify, and make the semi finalists exempt for the next world cup, or even the ones from the last world cup (so wales is in).
No matter how many teams are allowed in it must be a fair qualifying. some teams will be disappointed, but that's life.

shaggy

Juniors
the figure came out of the irlf meeting & incluude:
air-fares, acommadation, insurane, trnnacfer, etc

16 will be harder 2 make a profit

they also did the sums 4 9, so obviously they dont want a repeat of 2000 in terms of money lost

if its 10 teams then u have 2 pools of 5 which is goin 2 mean the teams will be playin more games then if it was 12 which u could split into 3 or 4, so not sure whether it is a plus or minus

carlnz

Bench
So going on the recent results and the amount of players the countries have in Super League and NRL...i think the 10 teams would be:

1. Australia
2. NZ
3. England
4. France
5. PNG
6. Lebanon
7. Ireland
8. Wales
9. Tonga
10. Fiji

So the teams to miss out would be Cook Islands, Russia, Scotland, USA, South Africa and Samoa.

I honestly believe that unless the big nations hit a massive purple patch...then none of the scores will be over 90. the Cooks, Russia and USA missing out will be a major blow to the nations...but hey thats life...if you are good enough you will make it!

But if the Tri Nations can make $4 million profit...why not run two more Tri Nations before the world cup which could effectivly pay for a 12 team WC...SO that means Cook Islands and Russia would be in...

i think if it was marketed right they would easily make a profit!

In-goal

Bench
12 temas does sound better then 10 but 10 worked wonders in the 95 WC, if you don't qualify then you don't compete simple as that in my eyes.

Paul Condon

Juniors
In hindsight 10 teams might be a good idea.
How's this for qualifying ideas.

Aus, NZ and England all automatically qualify because they have professional teams.

1. Australia
2. England
3. New Zealand
4. Wales - West Europe 1
5. France - West Europe 2
6. PNG - Asia
7. Lebanon - South Europe
8. Cook Islands - Oceania
9. Russia - East Europe
10. USA - Americas

Wales v Ireland for WE 1 spot. France v Scotland for WE 2 spot. Asia - Japan v Singapore, winner v PNG for Asia spot. South Europe - Lebanon v Morocco
Italy v Greece, two winners meet for South Europe spot. Oceania - Amerika Samoa v New Caledonia, Samoa v winner, then Tonga v winner of that game. Fiji v Niue, CI v winner. If Tonga and CI won then they play off for the Oceania spot. East Europe - Holland v Georgia, Serbia v winner, Russia v the winner of that game for East Europe spot. Americas/Africa - WI v SA, USA v Canada, two winners play off for the Americas spot.

The games could be home and away or just a one off.

Any further suggestions, ideas?

Paul Condon

Juniors
Problems are obvious with either Wales or Ireland missing out. Oceania only having one representative, and giving PNG and France easy routes. Still as has been mentioned you need to keep the competition for places high, but the geographical spread is important.

carlnz

Bench
Paul Condon said:
In hindsight 10 teams might be a good idea.
How's this for qualifying ideas.

Aus, NZ and England all automatically qualify because they have professional teams.

1. Australia
2. England
3. New Zealand
4. Wales - West Europe 1
5. France - West Europe 2
6. PNG - Asia
7. Lebanon - South Europe
8. Cook Islands - Oceania
9. Russia - East Europe
10. USA - Americas

Wales v Ireland for WE 1 spot. France v Scotland for WE 2 spot. Asia - Japan v Singapore, winner v PNG for Asia spot. South Europe - Lebanon v Morocco
Italy v Greece, two winners meet for South Europe spot. Oceania - Amerika Samoa v New Caledonia, Samoa v winner, then Tonga v winner of that game. Fiji v Niue, CI v winner. If Tonga and CI won then they play off for the Oceania spot. East Europe - Holland v Georgia, Serbia v winner, Russia v the winner of that game for East Europe spot. Americas/Africa - WI v SA, USA v Canada, two winners play off for the Americas spot.

The games could be home and away or just a one off.

Any further suggestions, ideas?

Tonga destroyed USA in a 40 minute game this year...People need to get out of their thinking that Russia and USA deserve a spot..they are too weak to play the top nations....Russia 98-4 against a weak England side...

1. Australia
2. England
3. New Zealand
4. France
5. PNG
6. Winner of European Cup
7. Runner of European Cup
8. Winner of Med Cup
9. Winner of Pacific Rim Cup
10. Runner up of Pacific Rim Cup

European Cup teams: Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Russia, Georgia and put USA in their.
Med Cup teams: Lebanon, Morocco, Serbia, Italy, Greece.
Pacific Rim Cup teams: Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, Nuie, Amerika Samoa.

Ari Gold

Bench
fair enough carlnz.....but i think the European Cup should have one more qualifier, and either Mediterrenean or Pacific Rim Cup should have one more too....therefore a 12 team world cup would be the best scenario IMO...

lets not forget in 4 years Russia could beat Lebanon and come close to beating Ireland, Scotland, Wales.......they have the money, the players to get there. The crowds have been quite good in Russia, the Grand Final of the Russian Competition drew over 20,000.

Italy and Greece could become darkhorses if they are able to develop domestic competitions, and along with some NRL ex-pats, they could cause a few upsets along the way....

lets remember 4 years is a longgggggg time...its to early IMO to decide how many teams to enter the WC. 4 years ago International League was dead, have a look at it now, it is growing more than ever, who knows what can happen in the next few years?

t-ba

Post Whore
CarlNZ-People are interested in the US and Russia due to their potential.

Kind of like the Number of Qualifying spots Asia and North America have in the FIFA WC and the number of Qualifying spots in 'asia' (Pacific Islands Slapabout...+Japan!) and 'Americas' have in the IRB world Cup.

carlnz

Bench
t-ba the hutt said:

Kind of like the Number of Qualifying spots Asia and North America have in the FIFA WC and the number of Qualifying spots in 'asia' (Pacific Islands Slapabout...+Japan!) and 'Americas' have in the IRB world Cup.

I cant understand Russia, in the World Cup they lost 76-4 to England, and this year they lost 98-4 to a weak England team with only 1,200 people turning up...

So in 4 years have they gone backwards?

Broncodroid

Juniors
carlnz said:
1. Australia
2. England
3. New Zealand
4. France
5. PNG
6. Winner of European Cup
7. Runner of European Cup
8. Winner of Med Cup
9. Winner of Pacific Rim Cup
10. Runner up of Pacific Rim Cup

European Cup teams: Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Russia, Georgia and put USA in their.
Med Cup teams: Lebanon, Morocco, Serbia, Italy, Greece.
Pacific Rim Cup teams: Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, Nuie, Amerika Samoa.

Spot on for mine, I really like that as a set up for the 2008 World Cup. :clap:

Not much more to add to that to be honest. You have the 5 certainties which I agree with, you have 2 relatively strong Eurpean teams qualifying, 2 relatively strong aspiring Pacific teams and a chance there for newcomers from the Mediterranean.

If the RLIF come to the party and make more definited rules on where players should be representing (no more TC selection farces) then this will work.

t-ba

Post Whore
carlnz said:
t-ba the hutt said:

I cant understand Russia, in the World Cup they lost 76-4 to England, and this year they lost 98-4 to a weak England team with only 1,200 people turning up...

So in 4 years have they gone backwards?

What about the Junior Numbers mate? Up or down?

What about the Population compared to Tonga and the Cook Islands?

That's WHY people are interested in these two countries.

carlnz

Bench
I have no idea about their Junior Numbers to be honest...guess we will find out next year!!

If it was a 12 team World Cup then I would want Russia in and Cook Islands...USA would be a great idea like Russia and Lebanon in the 2000 World Cup...But i feel that should happen in the next world cup...we need to strengthen our top ten nations first

carlnz

Bench
Who are the test playing nations?? I believe Russia is so should they get direct entry then?? :?:

Razor

Coach
The last WC lack of profits should be a lesson to all.

The last WC made a small profit. It was reported as a loss initially, but it did make a profit - was revealed earlier this year. Don't know why it was announced as a loss making tournament. I can think of a reason why, but won't mention it as the site could get into legal problems.

England might have taken them lightly in the World Cup (and ENgland didn't field their top side in that match). Next time Australia plays the US I guarentee Australia will win by more than 12.

DIEHARD

----
If the WC 2000 made a profit...where did all this so called debt come from that the RFL had to pay off?

Was it all their own and they were just blaming the WC?

You can't make a profit and run into massive debt at the same time.

screeny

Bench
Razor the 2000 WC made a massive loss! The RFL havae only just got back in the black thanks to R. Lewis's enlightened leadership.

The big question for the RLIF is: which countries are invited to the qualifiers. the Pacific is a great area to examine with this in mind. You have the established island nations but you also have Canada (any ideas about status, anyone?), USA, Chile (dunno if they're for real?). All of these are Pacific but (a) do you believe they're willing to travel for qualifiers and (b) wouldn't you prefer to play them in 'Americas' zone thereby including Windies and Argentina into the equation too?

All the other areas pretty much sort themselves out, with ENC and Med Cup able to accomodate most of the Euro nations.

What about the South Africans? They're out on a limb.

IMO organising the qualifers is much, much more difficult than the 10-team finals themselves. Making sure everyone is happy with getting a fair crack of the whip is the tough bit.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Russia MUST be there IMO. So much potential. Look at it this way, Russia has 3 1/2 years to improve. I think with their junior numbers (dont they have a fairly large player base) and obvious enthusiasm for the game then they should be given a spot. Russia is a huge market and if League can crack it then it'll do wonders for the international game.....and the RLIF bottom dollar.