What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$100m OP plan

JK said:
And your mates are tossers - if you support league you would go to league. I love games at Melbourne - top weekend away from Sydney.
Go and buy a clue! :nwave:
I'm selling clues cheap over at the TFC forum.

Better hurry as it is for a short time only :D

Choppies said:
At last they have a proper stadium to watch the Storm play.
From the few times Ive been to Olympic Park Its a hovel of a stadium both in general and for rugby league and soccer.

What's wrong with seats built for midgets and dirt terraces ??...OP is state of the art slum !!!:lol: :lol:

MayMoo

Juniors
JK said:
NewsCorp take money from the NRL and use it in their clubs. Given the pay TV angle they have you will find that funding Melbourne comes back in buckets through Pay TV subscriptions - they also declare contributions to Melbourne as a loss for tax purposes.

Every club is "propped up" bar Brisbane. Whether Leagues Club, Max Delmerge, Souths Juniors (now Holmes a Court and Crowe) or somebody else!

And your mates are tossers - if you support league you would go to league. I love games at Melbourne - top weekend away from Sydney.
Go and buy a clue! :nwave:

Thanks Mate, You've convinced me. Melbourne are safe.

Timbo

Staff member
Crowds are slowly but surely rising across the board. It is not too many seasons away where clubs like Manly and Parramatta will be sold out every week due to the small size of their venues.

Melbourne are a little behind the 8 ball in that they dont get matches televised at a decent hour and therefore find it difficult to get the masses into RL. Additionally, the stadium is the worst in the NRL. However, if we can start getting matches televised to Melbourne at the same time as in Sydney and Brisbane, then popularity will rise.

Remember, we only need a 'core' group of 15,000 people who are willing to turn up every week for this to be a success, and how difficult could this possibly be in a city of 3.7 million?

Alan Shore

First Grade
The Preacher said:
It would be a lot cheaper to move them, lock, stock and barrell to the Central Coast and receive $8 to $10 million from the NRL.
Melbourne hasn't worked and wont work, how long do they persist in spending good money for SFA. I'm sure the taxpayers of Victoria are filthy about $100mill. being spent on a rectangular field in AFL heartland.

I'm a Victorian, and I want a decent rectangular stadium and a strong NRL presence, thankyou.

LESStar58 said:
Speak for everyone else! i'm over the moon!

Me too! How can people bag this? The VIC government is making a massive commitment to our code via this stadium and is helping its development. We have to continue the push into victoria, its a huge TV market, and it has to be done to counter AFL's insurgency into NSW.

State of ORigin has sold 25 thousand tickets, so dont tell me there isnt a market for the code down there. If you build it they will come.

We can never ever give up on the storm. They have an experienced AFL ceo now and im sure they can make themselves sustainable in the medium term. The TV figures down there for origin and GF have been very heartening, and its hardly the 'beach volley ball in iceland' that some idiots would have you believe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's brilliant news for RL and those who one day want to see RL as the No1 sport in Australia. Well done to the Storm and the NRL.

Just out of interest the Roosters average crowd since they were formed = 10,415, The Storms 10,962 (also beating Cronulla, Souths, St George and Penrith) Lets get things in perspective people!

taipan

Referee
The Preacher said:
Well didn't I cop a bashing there. f**k me. Excuse me while I go to the first aid room to stop the bleeding from a multitude of stab wounds.
I still think having a side in Melbourne is bullsh*t.
Now wait 'til the bleeding has stopped before the hanging begins. :)

You will now have to get used to Melbourne staying buddy,the money News Ltd ,the Vic govt and the Storm have committed to rugby league in that state,from now on,has firmly planted them there.
They are only starting to push the game into state high schools(officilly now a sanctioned vic sport).
Melbourne population 4m 2nd biggest commecial area,as opposed to central Coast pop 330,000.Its a no brainer.When the storm was in the g/F in 1999 approx 700,000 Vitorians watched the televised match.Thank you linesmen thank you ballboys,game over.:lol:
Storm averaging 9,000 in a 3rd world stadium,even the bloody swans with the SCG in the early stages were lucky to crack that figure.

LESStar58

Referee
The VIC government is making a massive commitment to our code via this stadium

They had to. The thing that shat me was that they were initially only gonna consider it if we got that f**kin' Super 14 side!

Surandy

Bench
taipan said:
They are only starting to push the game into state high schools(officilly now a sanctioned vic sport).

And not just in high schools mate. The Develop Officers are going around primary schools prepping the kids for an interschool Oz Tag tournament.

Dylan, a DO for the northern suburbs, was at Upfield Primary School this morning drilling the kids on passing skills, play the ball and other essentials of the game. They have at least two more sessions planned with the same primary school later this month.

It's hardly something to get too worried about. Rugby League is, afterall, a form of rugby.

Give it time and they will learn.

I mean, most people from New South Wales and Queensland call Australian Rules Football "AFL" which is patently wrong. But that is to a large extent the fault of the Australian Rules authorities who have perpetuated that name for their sport.

LESStar58

Referee
It sh*ts me when people call league "rugby" and when you correct them they say "Its the same same thing!".

Brutus

Referee
LESStar58 said:
It sh*ts me when people call league "rugby" and when you correct them they say "Its the same same thing!".

Is that woman in your avatar about to park a bear?

Cloud9

The stadium looks like a series of airbags. It would look spectacular when its lit during night games. Very 70's aesthetics though with the geodesic geometry.

LESStar58

Referee
Brutus said:
Is that woman in your avatar about to park a bear?

No, it just happens to be the finsest arse I have seen in a long time... tell me you wouldn't hit that!