What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10k fine coming for Trent

skeepe

Immortal
So you missed the times we were winning games and losing every penalty count?

Did you miss when we won and Trent highlighted that players should not be allowed to simulate injuries to win penalties?

Trent has been talking about the things that are wrong in the game for a few years.

You can't dismiss these comments as sour grapes as its definitely not the case

If you don't want players to lay down, it's simple: STOP HITTING THEM HIGH!

f**k me dead. You support a team full of thugs, don't be surprised when they get penalised for it.

Lambretta

First Grade
It also ensured Napa didn't get charged by the mrc.

I think not doing anything wrong was the reason he wasn't charged. Same with Kane Evans

There were four Roosters put on report. I have not heard if the other two are being charged

thommo4pm

Coach
Nightingale, McCrone and Dugan. Comments?

No one said Milne feigned. It wasn't an illegal tackle. Read the responses.

Do you have an answer on how the Roosters get away with flaunting the concussion rule?
1 sub used in the first half, due to 3 players going for concussion tests.
Somehow they were ok to go on, giving you 7 subs in the 2nd half.

No cheating going on there at all?

Lambretta

First Grade
If you don't want players to lay down, it's simple: STOP HITTING THEM HIGH!

f**k me dead. You support a team full of thugs, don't be surprised when they get penalised for it.

Players get contacted up around the neck area around 50 times a game

If players lay down every time someone's arm, or sleeve brushed their cheek (as happens with St George players) it would be a penalty a thon

The vast majority of players accept there will be accidental minimal contact in a game where there are frequent collisions between big men.

They play on without complaint.

St George have decided to take a lie down - they do it often. It's not just against the Roosters. They don't always win penalties

They do always look like a pack of cheating merkins

_Johnsy

Referee
Well & truly 24hrs after the final whistle & the Roosters fans are here still throwing tantys.

Classic

Maximus

Coach
Those stats show we have a poor record under Maxwell.

71% with him, 64% without him.

In the years he has reffed you, you have a 47% regular season win rate overall. 42% under Maxwell.

Not bad no matter how much you bullshit.

So what is the offence then? If it's a shoulder he gets charged? If it's high he gets charged? He didn't get charged = no penalty

So there has only been 12 high shots this year? That's how many have been charged.

High contact with what? Arm, shoulder? Any of those then he is charged.

They f**ked up. That simple. Wouldn't be an issue if ref called it but bunker called play back when they shouldn't have. That is a fact no matter how many times you move the goal posts.

No one is debating that. Of course not. The issue is the bunker making a call on something it has no scope to make a call on. The fact the mrc did not prosecute is confirmation they got it wrong. As I said if the ref calls it there is no issue. Bunker shouldn't be intervening unless it is foul play which this clearly wasn't. Have I answered your question. This is the gist of robin sons argument. They decided to make a call on something that takes the mrc hours to review. IT ISNT WITHIN THEIR MANDATE. THAT IS THE FRIGGEN PROBLEM.

ITs not an Easts or saints issue but a bigger problem. On top of the diving epidemic yesterday I'm not shocked Robbo lost his shit.

The Bunker didn't intervene or call it back at all. Milne dropped the ball, and the refs let play go until the Roosters got tackled, then called time off and asked the Bunker to review the contact. It happens like that 99% of the time.

The Bunker then reviewed and found a high tackle, so it went back to the penalty.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't comment.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/MTEtLS0tLS0tLS04MC0yOTI0LS0tLS0tLS0tLS0=

Roosters matches with Cummins as ref since Robinson was coach. All have been high profile matches against top teams with the exception of Parra and Dragons. Having a lower than normal winning ratio is expected and it would be suspicious if they didn't.

But of course there is some sort of bias against his poor little innocent team. He should also be suspended for his actions after the match a fine means jack shit to him

I pointed the same out and got no response. Apparently they should be guaranteed wins over the team that finished on the same amount of points as them, and twice over the team that won the premiership.

Rein & Milne both stayed off, if Rein was acting why did he stay off for 30 minutes?

These are the same fans who still claim that Weyman took a dive in the grand final. Apparently your best prop staying off for 60 minutes was worth a penalty being given against Conn.

Although my favourite 2010 gf conspiracy theory was that half time was extended so it would rain in the 2nd half :lol:

KiamaSaint

Coach
Wow. Roosters fans have sure made prize fools of themselves in this thread.

I feel embarrassed for them.

This.

How Rooster fans can judge the behaviour of any other team is inconceivable. Something about stones and glass houses.

Lambretta

First Grade
The Bunker didn't intervene or call it back at all. Milne dropped the ball, and the refs let play go until the Roosters got tackled, then called time off and asked the Bunker to review the contact. It happens like that 99% of the time.

The Bunker then reviewed and found a high tackle, so it went back to the penalty.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't comment.

Maximus is 100% on point here. This is exactly what happened.
The bunker only looked at it after play had been halted by the refs

Not sure about the Kane Evans "late" hit which gave you a penalty.
I believe that time the bunker spoke to the ref without invitation.

Personally I am with Phil Gould on this one - video technology should only be available for the review of tries being scored

Using it for instances which occur during play that the referees miss opens a can of worms that is ruining the game.

If there is foul play the match review committee should still be able to review the game the following day and issue charges, but video technology needs to stay out of the game

Things which happen in normal speed look natural, but once you start to slow things down they suddenly look a lot worse than they are in reality.

Video footage doesn't take impact speed into account - but generally the naked eye in real time does if it's bad enough to warrant worrying about

Occasionally things will be missed - I can live with that - even when it goes against my team.

But the constant stopping to review things leaves the game open to abuse and we've all seen it used to gain advantages in different games.

Yes all teams could do it if they want to - but seriously, is that the game we want to be watching? If people decide they do, I for one will stop.

Robbo made a point in his post match spray that the MRC sometime times spend hours reviewing footage to decide if a penalty is warranted. The VR is trying to do the same thing in ten seconds during the heat of a game.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Sydney Roosters Trent Robinson savages NRL referees in another tired act from coaches that should know better

Phil Lutton
April 26, 2016, 3:29 p.m.

In the emotional whirl of a post-game media conference, the sound of a coach ripping into a referee is too hard to resist.
It's guaranteed click-bait, a compelling sound byte and adds to the "drama" that everyone so adores about the greatest game of all.
It's also becoming a tired act. Sniping and tearing at officials after a defeat, regardless of how valid the point may be, has become the easy way out for coaches whose teams are feeling the pinch, or just lost on the kind of the 50-50 call that has no doubt gone their way in the past.
Roosters coach Trent Robinson kept little up his sleeve when he began his rant after losing to the Dragons. He may as well have plonked the $10k on the desk in front of him and thrown it around the room like 50 Cent in a nightclub before he unleashed his zingers on Ben Cummins and the NRL Bunker.
It's hardly a revolutionary tactic. Matthew Johns was quick to label it a "power play" aimed at ensuring the Roosters don't get lumped with Cummins in the future.
They consider him to be disrespectful and to have a poor working relationship with Jake Friend, the club captain. In their eyes, I'm sure they consider it the honest truth. Most would call it a conspiracy theory.
Wayne Bennett uses it as a diversion when he wants to take the heat off his team, yet does it with more style and substance.
Des Hasler has been a practitioner of the dark art as well, somehow blending a few hard-hitting points with the comedic over the years as he danced along the fine line between sanction and what he might consider a helpful suggestion.
Robinson's performance had all the hallmarks of a coach running out of answers. And his dubious notion that the game should be extra-tough because it was played in Anzac Day was bordering on distasteful, similar to likening a game of football to a war.
Somewhere in the midst of it all, there are probably some points worth reviewing via the correct avenues.
The NRL Bunker has tweaks to be made yet in the overall evidence presented this season, has performed admirably.
If players are lying down to milk penalties, that too is hardly fresh ground to cover, not can it be realistically be blamed on presence of extra video surveillance from officials.
Robinson finds himself in unfamiliar waters. He has been a wildly successful coach in charge of a talented team that has topped the NRL for the past three seasons.
Now with just one win on the board and a perception that the world has turned their back on the tricolours, he must show that he can be an elite mentor not just when the victories roll in like breakers at Bondi Beach.
How can his young players hold it together under increasing pressure if their coach cannot?

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...oaches/?cs=302

Some unbiased reading on the issue.

For what it is worth, the Kane Evans penalty was absolutely ridiculous and Jake Friend was right, just because it was hard doesn't mean it was late. However, what really annoys me is you keyboard warriors that are so sure that all these players take dives. Let me tell you it bloody well hurts an awful lot when a guy your weight and half again smashes you just after you have passed the ball. If you don't believe it, why don't you go out to the park and get Kane Evans to smash you just after passing the ball to a mate.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Maximus is 100% on point here. This is exactly what happened.
The bunker only looked at it after play had been halted by the refs

Not sure about the Kane Evans "late" hit which gave you a penalty.
I believe that time the bunker spoke to the ref without invitation.

Not sure who made the call on that one. I thought it was the pocket ref, but they might have gotten a call from the bunker. Depending on who made the call, that would be the only potential issue.

Moa on McCrone - live call
McCrone in the 2nd half - went to the bunker after a break in play and correctly not penalised
Nightingale - went to the bunker and correctly penalised

I don't see any issue with the bunker being asked to have a quick look.

If we just ignore the technology, it will become like forward passes. Refs have ignored forward passes from dummy half for years, so every 2nd pass is now forward. They call it every now and then to make it look like they are doing something. I can see high tackles increasing in the same way as most won't get called.

Robbo made a point in his post match spray that the MRC sometime times spend hours reviewing footage to decide if a penalty is warranted. The VR is trying to do the same thing in ten seconds during the heat of a game.

But they aren't doing the same thing. The MRC is spending hours to determine whether the incident is worthy of a charge or not, and if so, what charge. The VR is trying to determine if it is worthy of being a reportable penalty.

Also, isn't that more reason to not just leave it in the hands of the ref. The ref has even less time to decide, and they've got a million other things to watch out for as well. And you want to leave them with no assistance?

drago brelli

Bench
Phil Lutton
April 26, 2016, 3:29 p.m.

And his dubious notion that the game should be extra-tough because it was played in Anzac Day was bordering on distasteful, similar to likening a game of football to a war.

I watched the post match presser and this is the bit I found really strange. He he attempted to use ANZAC Day to support his argument. Is this what the players believe? It's just a game of rugby league.

Lambretta

First Grade
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...oaches/?cs=302

Some unbiased reading on the issue.

For what it is worth, the Kane Evans penalty was absolutely ridiculous and Jake Friend was right, just because it was hard doesn't mean it was late. However, what really annoys me is you keyboard warriors that are so sure that all these players take dives. Let me tell you it bloody well hurts an awful lot when a guy your weight and half again smashes you just after you have passed the ball. If you don't believe it, why don't you go out to the park and get Kane Evans to smash you just after passing the ball to a mate.

The Illawarra Mercury - unbiased? OK
We'll wait to see what the Wentworth Courier has to say on the matter

I understand the game is physical yet players who've just been smashed don't get up 3 seconds later and run 50 metres in 5 seconds either

Look players have been copping knocks and getting up for years. Yes sometimes they're sore, but I can point out a thousand times when a player has been smashed and bounced back up before video technology started giving them a reason not to do so.

The players know that any contact, no matter how fleeting will win them a penalty if they stay down. Hell, we see trainers running on when the players are getting up so to tell them to go back down for a penalty.

Players are competitive and will use any edge they can to win a game, fair or otherwise.

If we want to encourage that sort of behaviour as associated football has done by rewarding players for falling over then I will have to stop watching as I have stopped watching football.

Latest posts