What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11 a side Rugby League

philstorm

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/anyone-for-a-quick-game-of-11aside/2006/11/14/1163266549476.html

Anyone for a quick game of 11-a-side?

Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
Jacquelin Magnay
November 15, 2006

Advertisement

Advertisement

NRL officials will take the first step in the most radical rethink of the game in a century by suggesting a series of trial games using 11 players a side.

The bold idea is to experiment with four fewer players on the field so the game becomes more open and attack-focused.

The idea is still in its infancy but the discussion of it at the game's highest levels suggests it has some merit. Already several clubs, such as the Roosters and Penrith, use 11-a-side games in junior trials, and those who have watched are enthusiastic about the change.

There has been a chorus of criticism from some of the game's great thinkers about the proliferation of dummy-half running and brick-wall defence. Warren Ryan and Ricky Stuart believe opening up the lateral space would make for a more entertaining and creative game.

But such a significant adjustment to the structure of the game will upset traditionalists as well as the slow-moving props who would be the likely victims of the up-tempo version.

League developed as a separate game when it split from rugby union in 1906, reducing the number of players on the field from 15 to 13. But over the past century, the fitness levels of the players and the speed of the game has increased dramatically.

It is understood NRL referees director Robert Finch will put the proposal to make several of next year's pre-season trial games 11-a-side to a group of NRL coaches, senior players and club officials who are meeting today in Sydney to discuss possible rule changes. The trials would be observed by the game's powerbrokers to analyse the style and type of play that would result.

The idea was mooted at a rules think tank last week, which included delegates from Great Britain and New Zealand, who cautiously supported it being raised at today's meeting.

For the concept to proceed, the meeting would have to recommend a trial which would have to be approved by the NRL board.

The worst idea - ever.

Nathan B

Juniors
Ridiculous.

What was the score between Canberra and Newcastle earlier this year? 70-32? That's more than enough points for me.

Do we really need basketball scores?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well, personally I am sick of tries being scored from kicks.

Any one know the stats percentage wise that are scored directly from kicks?

That is why I do not watch Union, if I wanted to watch quality kicking I'd watch soccer or AFL.

Running rugby is what I am after.

So I hope all the people here against the idea do not ask for rule changes i.e 40/20, 10 meters, interchange etc etc

Change is good when the ideal is correct.

Snoz

Juniors
Mr Angry said:
Well, personally I am sick of tries being scored from kicks.

Any one know the stats percentage wise that are scored directly from kicks?

That is why I do not watch Union, if I wanted to watch quality kicking I'd watch soccer or AFL.

Running rugby is what I am after.

So I hope all the people here against the idea do not ask for rule changes i.e 40/20, 10 meters, interchange etc etc

Change is good when the ideal is correct.

i hate tries scored from bombs in the in goal - such a lottery - grubber kicks have some skill in it.

to stop so many kicks the reward for opposition taking a kick on the full in goal should be a 1/2 way tap instead of 20m tap.

The number 13 is a symbol of rugby league. Apart from all the other reasons why this is a sh!t idea, I don't want to see Rugby XIII become Rugby XI.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think the idea has its merits, but it's such a dramatic core change to the game it may never see the light of day.

To be honest I think as the years go on the effect of powerful, super fit defenses will gradually fade as teams allow the focus to go back to skilful players as opposed to athletes. Jason Smith was an example of that, demonstrated little in the way of professional athleticism but his skill gave Canberra a big edge. If we can get some more playmakers with attention on skill over athleticism again, it will nullify the defensive era.

panthersballboy

Juniors
League is a 13 man game. The day it drops to 11 is the day I give it away. The first players to go would be the big props as players would have to cover more space in defence. Players like Webcke, Roach and Lazarus would be a distant memory. The teams would basically be made up of athletic back rowers with a playmaker and a full back.