What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11 A Side Trial This Weekend

Pumba

First Grade
11 A SIDE TRIAL THIS WEEKEND

Fox Sports will give every Rugby League fan the chance to watch the historic 11-a-side Toyota Cup match between Newcastle and Melbourne at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday night.

Fox Sports 2 will broadcast the Toyota Cup match live from 3.15pm as the NRL trials the 11-a-side format and a new in-goal kicking rule.

The experimental rules follow on from the NRL’s trial of two referees in recent Toyota Cup matches, including tonight’s Roosters-Rabbitohs match at the Sydney Football Stadium, while a second 11-a-side trial will also take place in the Round 26 Toyota Cup match between the Sharks and Cowboys at Toyota Stadium.

“We have said from the start that we would use the Toyota Cup to experiment with suggested rule changes and I would like to thank the clubs involved for agreeing to take part,” NRL Chief Operating Officer, Mr Graham Annesley, said.

“They are experiments, not imminent rule changes, and I am sure all stakeholders in the game, from the players, to coaches, match officials and fans, will be interested to watch the impact they have.”

Under the experimental rules for Saturday night’s match:

Only 11 players will be on the field at any one time

Teams are permitted to have 6 players on the bench

Interchange will be increased to 10 in each half of the match (i.e. 20 in total)

If at any stage either coach feels the need to revert back to 13-a-side then the opposing coach must agree and the game will continue as per normal. Interchanges will return to the standard 10 for the remainder of the game, commencing from No.1 again as soon as the game reverts to 13-on-13.

The scrum will consist of 5 players with 6 players in the back line.

The game will also experiment with a new rule that will be referred to as the “Defusing of the Kick in the In Goal Area”.

The game will be restarted with an optional kick from the centre of the 20-metre line if:

An attacking player uses any type of kick (i.e. bomb, grubber, chip, drop kick) into the in-goal area and the defending player “defuses the kick” by grounding the ball in the in-goal area, gaining possession by catching the ball or making the ball dead in-goal by passing, knocking, or kicking it over the dead ball line or touch in-goal line.

In the event of a simultaneous grounding of the ball in the in-goal area then the attacking team will receive the advantage, as is currently the case.

The rules governing defenders “defusing the bomb” will apply in relation to determining where they left the ground to defuse the kick.

Link

MC DUI

Juniors
The 11 a side rule could be interesting, but I hate the in-goal kick rule they're testing, not interested in that coming into the NRL.

Frederick

Staff member
Is it just me or does that kick diffuse rule completely eliminate the goal-line drop out and repeat sets?

Serc

First Grade
Yeah...it seems to defy belief that they even considered it! Ah well it will all be on display tomorrow arvo for everyone to see.

Frederick

Staff member
Way to reward attacking pressure, NRL. Attacking team puts a well weighted kick into ingoal, defence kick it into row F behind the goal posts and earn themselves a 20 metre tap...worst rule ever.

Karmawave

Bench
Well its just a trial so coaches can see their ideas in action, so no need to panic about the changes just yet.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

roopy

Referee
twenty interchanges are too many.

If i were coach i'd have two game plans - and make a mass change with 6 guys on and six guys off at the 20 and 60 minute mark - and just use the four other interchages per half for injuries or to take tired guys off.

cram

Bench
Its a way of making teams go for a try rather then just kicking the ball in goal. With 11 a side I would think that running the ball would be a better option close to the line. Anyway tomorrow will tell.

perverse

Referee
yeah, it'll be good to watch either way. i'm all for experimenting with the rules in toyota cup. there are bound to be some absolute stinkers along the way.. however some good things could definitely eventuate from it.

Yosh

Coach
20 subs is too much...

Would be interesting to see which positions get the cut and if different coaches will use different positions of players on the field. If they can outsmart each during the game. Eh cant see anything wrong with the game with 13 people so why they trying to 'fix' it?

COB

Juniors
Way to reward attacking pressure, NRL. Attacking team puts a well weighted kick into ingoal, defence kick it into row F behind the goal posts and earn themselves a 20 metre tap...worst rule ever.

Logic behind the rule is to reduce the amount of "boring tries" from kicks...dont be surprised if it becomes a nrl rule next year in some form.
Tells me the nrl research is telling them their "product" is becoming predictable.

IanG

Coach
As far as 11 a side goes doesn't that happen in junior league at some ages. eg Under 10s

roopy

Referee
I've always been keen on 11 a side. I've written several posts on the idea over the years.

As I see it, the players have all got fitter and bigger over the years, but the field has stayed the same size.

I think we need to give guys more room to move so we can see length of the field tries again.

Other benefits are;
You won't be able to afford 3 or 4 man tackles because that will take too many guys out of the line if an offload comes, so there should be fewer injuries and more offloads.

It will be cheaper to run a club because you need around 15% fewer players - or alternatively all your players can have a 15% pay rise.

Bigger players should struggle, and little guys should become more viable, which should bring the build of players back to a more community average size.

I don't think 11 a side will look a lot different to 13 a side, but there will be more breaks and less smothering defence.

As to the kick rule - i want to see it before i make up my mind - but it does seem to make scoreing harder. The mid field bomb and the chip kick might make big comebacks.

Latest posts