What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | Origin I | 25 May | QLD 16-12 NSW | Suncorp #origin

SOO1: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why should Dugan be in the side? What has Dugan shown exactly that warrants his selection? I mean Hayne there's a million things to point to, but what exactly about Dugan in this game or this year says he has to be there?

If your going to mention form this year...what has hayne done, or where are the million things to point to????? They're nowhere to be seen, so get back in your hole you inbred flogstain.

docbrown

Coach
Jennings
14 runs for 181m (3 line breaks)
8 tackle breaks
9 tackles (0 missed)
2 errors

Uate
12 runs for 115m
2 hit ups for 17m
2 tackle breaks
5 tackles (0 missed)
2 errors (shouldve been one)

Those 2 were our best backs, Dugan pretty impressive on debut, Gasnier solid in defense but was shut down by Boyd more often then not. Morris made a crucial error, would've been a straight swap for Gordon if he wasnt injured after this game.

All up not too bad an effort considering how badly we were rolled in the forwards, impressive defensive effort apart from the try for Slater near the end. Matt Scott wouldve been my call for MotM he was phenominal.

Look at the positives we made 85 more tackles, had 6 line drop outs, got one penatly the whole game and made 16 errors and only lost by 4.

Agree with that. Work on the forwards to give the backs more space and Soward's kicking plays a bit more. Can't wait for Game II.

Will go and shake Uate's hand on Saturday too.

Slackboy72

Coach
NSW played like a team that had never played together before.
QLD played like they were expecting it to happen but it wasn't.

Ordinary game where a few brain snaps decided it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Given it's the biggest match thread in LU history, there's no way I'm going to read back over it. So if any thoughts below are repeated, my apologies.

1. Don't change too much. The Blues, whether Queensland want to admit it or not, had their number tonight on several occasions. Some fine-tuning in attack (and the hooker playing 80) will go a long way to NSW closing what is now a very small gap between these sides. Necessary changes through injury/suspension aside, I can only see the need to maybe have a look at the backs and possibly removing Young or Ennis as a second hooker option (not needed, a strike player as Gus said in the wrap-up is ideal).

2. Maxwell? WTF? He's not an Origin standard referee. Neither ref cost NSW the game (although the touchie from the 2nd half kickoff needs a boot in the arse) but Maxwell is an NRL standard ref and Hayne needs to be given the whistle with Archer. They control Origin well.

3. Dugan earned his spot tonight, well and truly. Only one crucial error I noticed, other errors were f**k-ups by teammates around him.

4. Bring on game two. There's something in the air about this year's Origin. Tonight was special and I reckon the next two games will be HUGE.

Jason Maher

Immortal
If we make wholesale changes, history is going to repeat itself. I think Hayne and Lewis have to come in, they are too good to not be there. And definitely Tolman in for King. Otherwise leave the side alone.

Timmah

Staff member
Problem is, Tolman won't be fit til at least Game 3 by the looks.

Weyman for mine.

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
Too many armchair critics .. stop and think for a second we were leading with 10 to go
we need to stick with the team for game 2, people need to realise they have 4 of the best players in the world in there team.
the tide will turn

j0nesy

Bench
Im going to look at the positives:
QLD were excellent - Scott, Petro, Hannant and Smith were outstanding.
NSW tried hard - Gallen, Scott and Bird dug deep. Uate and Jennings looked dangerous.

Only 1 or 2 minor changes required for the Blues.

Timmah

Staff member
Plssed myself laughing at (don't change the team) Gould. Ennis dribbles the ball first touch, and next 5 min Gus treats him like he was the diff between the teams. LOL

Dugan gives us a try, Gus explains it is experience LOL

He is NSW problem.

You need to stop listening to him

:?

Are you telling me players should be dropped based on single errors? Ennis was largely error-free after that DH knock-on, Dugan the same after his spill. In fact, Dugan played very well for an Origin debutant fullback IMO.

Shorty

Staff member
NSW would want to keep pretty much the same team, and while Morris has made some errors...he would learn from those mistakes.

Archer is apparently bad for a few sh*tty calls, yet he let NSW lay all over the ruck, slow down the play of the ball and ignore outside calls.
It goes both ways.

Next game should be a good one, Queensland were far from their best tonight...and with Inglis or Hodges back an entertaining game on our hands.

2010Dragons

Bench
Dumb Arse Errors and turning points in the game:

Ennis drops ball from dummy half as soon as he gets on the field.:crazy:

Pearce continually kicks ball down QLD throat.:oops:

Pearce throws a forward pass from ball recieved 2nd half kick off.:shock:

Pearce throws hospital pass to Jenning rather than a "thru ball".:shock:

Morris allows ball to roll into ingoal, playing the player rather than the ball. :?

Noa

First Grade
I think there's 2 stories going on here. NSW defence was better than what it has been since QLD's current domination.

Like I said that Billy Slater set up came off the Blues stuff up. They tried to take the playmaker out near the tryline and in the process took their eye off the ball which allowed for the gap. Even with Qld'ers coming in numbers, if NSW hadn't done that they would have been able to still stop both QLD players. QLD only got the overlap because of that. To me that try is yes - partial Queensland class for setting it up - but also a rookie NSW mistake. Like I tell the kids -on the tryline defence you watch the man but you attack the ball.

I think NSW's forwards weren't playing anywhere near their ability and Soward wasn't on the top of his game. But the potential is there and it will be the number thing they will be working on in game 2.

Some people are saying Queensland were in Second Gear. I don't buy it. Every other Queensland team from the past 5 years if they were 6-0 at half time would be fired up when they came out again. They weren't. And the majority of what they were threw at NSW, NSW had an answer for.

It was very 50/50. I mean I think NSW should stick with the exact same team, but if they did have a Hayne or Idris on the bench it might be to their benefit.
Well when I say 2nd gear they did only take the 4speed camry out last night (Nielsen, Parker, Lillyman were safety 1st containment selections), so they werent doing it easy. Next game we'll drive the 6 speed M5

adamkungl

Immortal
Dumb Arse Errors and turning points in the game:

Ennis drops ball from dummy half as soon as he gets on the field.:crazy:

Pearce continually kicks ball down QLD throat.:oops:

Pearce throws a forward pass from ball recieved 2nd half kick off.:shock:

Pearce throws hospital pass to Jenning rather than a "thru ball".:shock:

Morris allows ball to roll into ingoal, playing the player rather than the ball. :?

Pearce was the only kicker to find space
That pass wasn't forward.

kurt faulk

Coach
:?

Are you telling me players should be dropped based on single errors? Ennis was largely error-free after that DH knock-on, Dugan the same after his spill. In fact, Dugan played very well for an Origin debutant fullback IMO.

tell me, you don't think that awful kick by ennis after nsw hit the lead was a monumental error? it gave qld the field position to mount their attack which culminated in the winning try. if ennis had any brains at all he would have given the ball to soward on the last tackle and let soward pin qld in their 20. dumbarse play by ennis.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Pearce was the only kicker to find space
That pass wasn't forward.

Pearce was very average last night. As for that pass, I don't care if it went 10 metres back. Why the f*ck throw it in the first place. He threw it to a back when it should have gone to a foward for a hit up.

I've never seen so many backs take hit ups. Forwards were f*cking disgraceful except for Bird, Gallen and Scott

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
tell me, you don't think that awful kick by ennis after nsw hit the lead was a monumental error? it gave qld the field position to mount their attack which culminated in the winning try. if ennis had any brains at all he would have given the ball to soward on the last tackle and let soward pin qld in their 20. dumbarse play by ennis.

How many times did either of the halves get a kick down there to pin QLD close to their line?

Soward's short kicking game was pretty piss poor too.

j0nesy

Bench
Archer is apparently bad for a few sh*tty calls, yet he let NSW lay all over the ruck, slow down the play of the ball and ignore outside calls.
It goes both ways.

When a QLDer agrees that they got a few "favourable" calls you know the refereeing was a bit one sided. And both teams were allowed to lay in the ruck - Smith, and floppers Thurston and Thiaday were serial offenders in this department. I think this favoured NSW more than QLD though. QLD were by far the better team though, NSW cant look to the ref for blame.

Latest posts