What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | Prelim Final 1 | Fri | Sea Eagles 26-14 Broncos | SFS

Grand Finalist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blaza88z

Coach
f**k off Danish, if he played and Brisbane got the penalties you'd be crying "the refs doing it for Lockyer" all game long but since he didn't play, you've all of a sudden done a university degree in medicine

Lockyer had an outstanding career, premierships, origin wins, most nrl games by a player, golden boots, tri nations.. just because this year it didn't goto script he still went out a winner in typical Locky style the last time I seen him at Suncorp

He has no reason to regret not playing tonight, the boys weren't good enough on the night

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Brett Kimmorley was interviewed earlier in the week and said that after his broken cheek bone the only reason he couldn't play the next week was due to bleeding on his eye as a complication of the surgery. Lockyer didn't have this (you'd be able to see it quite clearly).

Once the plates are in the chances of them getting damaged and hurting you are no worse than getting your other cheek broken and having those pieces of bone hurt you.

Lockyer no doubt wanted to play tonight, but was told he couldn't by a doctor. He'll now never play another game of footy for the broncos in his life, but on the plus side his cheek will be better a week or 2 earlier than if he had played and it had got reinjured.... fair trade off :sarcasm:

I'm not a doctor, but I have had a broken and depressed cheekbone. I had bleeding in the eye so maybe it's different..but for someone who would be targeted as much as Lockyer, it was a hell of a risk for an injury that is usually a six-week (?) layoff.

I would imagine there's a hell of a lot of tenderness after surgery as well, and he'd be thinking about it all game.

I hear what you're saying though, and maybe it was worth the risk given Gillett would've been on the bench anyway. Impossible for anyone outside the club to know.

Shorty

Staff member
You don't get it do you Danish?
Yeah, a finals game is really worth being blind for the rest of your life.
You really make some d*ckhead statements sometimes.

Danish

Referee
f**k off Danish, if he played and Brisbane got the penalties you'd be crying "the refs doing it for Lockyer" all game long but since he didn't play, you've all of a sudden done a university degree in medicine

Lockyer had an outstanding career, premierships, origin wins, most nrl games by a player, golden boots, tri nations.. just because this year it didn't goto script he still went out a winner in typical Locky style the last time I seen him at Suncorp

He has no reason to regret not playing tonight, the boys weren't good enough on the night

i'm not blaming lockyer for not playing. As i said it was without doubt not a decision made by him.

simply stating he will undoubtedly feel bad that this is how it ended, and forever doubt that the advice given to him was really correct

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont think there's been a coach who was just given the job in March and almost taking a team to a Grand Final.

Great effort from Anthony Griffin and the boys. And without Lockyer they just lost by 12 points and denied one with an outstanding tackle from Lyon.

In the end the better team won, so it will be interesting to see if either Melbourne or Warriors can meet.

Danish

Referee
You don't get it do you Danish?
Yeah, a finals game is really worth being blind for the rest of your life.
You really make some d*ckhead statements sometimes.

What risk was there of him being blind for the rest of his life?

As I said medical advice given to Kimmorley after his very similar (in fact actually worse) injury was that there was a negligible risk of further damage, not much higher than the risk of having his other cheekbone broken.

As I keep trying to say, its not a slight on the man. Simply pointing out that IMO he will forever have doubts that the right decision was made.

Pigskin

Juniors
we were rubbish tonight and deserved to lose, just wish the refs didn't make it so certain

I guess now, reluctantly, have to jump on the warriors bandwagon ... and hope it lasts longer than 24 hours

what a rank disappointment that end to the season was :(

anyway, we'll be jockeying for 8th spot next year, and will be serious contenders in 2014 or so

its not bad being a broncos supporter ... signing off for 2011 ... your resident pig headed one

Oink !

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
53 pages of all fans claiming a conspiracy and just whinging about everything manly.
The rediculious one sided hatred is amazing to read... most of the brisbane fans were probably the most realistic in there comments.
For my part, ignoring some of the extremist hate for my ream, I think it is prety hard to deny the best team won, There were some pretty horrible calls both ways.
I would like to congtatulate brisbane on an amazing year, I was 1 who thought they would really struggle this year, but they were amazing.
And the great man Lockyer, as a NSW supporter he has pissed me off for years, but what an absolute embassador for our game, deserves everything this game ca give him moving forward including acknowledgement as an immortal. He is an absolute legend!

Last edited:
I dont think there's been a coach who was just given the job in March and almost taking a team to a Grand Final.

Great effort from Anthony Griffin and the boys. And without Lockyer they just lost by 12 points and denied one with an outstanding tackle from Lyon.

In the end the better team won, so it will be interesting to see if either Melbourne or Warriors can meet.

Griffin getting too much credit, Lockyer could have been player/coach and taken them to the finals I reckon

I know that's a big call but without Lockyer I don't see the Broncos in the finals.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Griffin getting too much credit, Lockyer could have been player/coach and taken them to the finals I reckon

I know that's a big call but without Lockyer I don't see the Broncos in the finals.

The Broncos have some really talented young players coming through, no question that Lockyer can't be replaced, I think they will still be up there next year..

Daddycool

Juniors
Really proud of the effort by the boys tonight. The Broncos were gallant and never stopped coming but they missed Lockyer very much.

Anyway.... another Prelim final and another win, that makes 11 in a row. Looking forward to Grand Final week.

Go Manly.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Really proud of the effort by the boys tonight. The Broncos were gallant and never stopped coming but they missed Lockyer very much.

Anyway.... another Prelim final and another win, that makes 11 in a row. Looking forward to Grand Final week.

Go Manly.

Stunning stat!!

Jason Maher

Immortal
That prelim final stat is misleading, as prior to 1995, there were 2 chances at Grand Final qualification: the Major Semi-Final and the Preliminary Final, with the loser of the first getting another go in the second. Not at all comparable to the all-or-nothing Preliminary Finals from 1995 onwards.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
And with this post, this match thread is now the most-posted in NRL match thread (not including Origins). It beats last year's Grand Final thread :|

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
That prelim final stat is misleading, as prior to 1995, there were 2 chances at Grand Final qualification: the Major Semi-Final and the Preliminary Final, with the loser of the first getting another go in the second. Not at all comparable to the all-or-nothing Preliminary Finals from 1995 onwards.
6/6 since 95, happier with tht stat

Latest posts