What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14-0 at halftime

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Poupou Escobar said:
Mate, there's an ebb and flow in every game (as long as both sides have turned up to play). I thought it was a good 80 minutes from both teams.

It's only natural you're going to be outscored when you spend half a match defending a lead.

It's when we tried to be adventurous that we gave Brisbane the most opportunities. I think we were far enough in front that defending the lead was the right option. Why do you think Bennett's so pissed off? At 14-0 down Brisbane were always going to come out firing and we handled everything they threw at us.
The last 2 weeks we have lead by 14 at halftime, and both times we have come out in the second half looking like the job was done. In the end we did well to hang on due to some good defence. If we come out like that against Melbourne we will get lapped. Even Hindy mentioned in the interview.

sportsmad

Juniors
good game, played at a frenetic pace too. thought the forwards contained them pretty well for most of the game, was nice to see even under the pump guys like Fui still making a good 10 metres.
can't wait 'til Sunday

Eelementary

Post Whore
lockyno1 said:
no12 was Dane (Jane) Carlaw! The bloke gifted you 6 points dammit!

That's right.

But he also trampled all over some of our players.

My point is that that starting pack, with class like Taylor and Thaiday coming off the bench, was never going to be an easybeat pack.

Eelementary

Post Whore
hineyrulz said:
The last 2 weeks we have lead by 14 at halftime, and both times we have come out in the second half looking like the job was done. In the end we did well to hang on due to some good defence. If we come out like that against Melbourne we will get lapped. Even Hindy mentioned in the interview.

How do you know that? How do you know that our "tactic" wasn't to work on our defence?

We'll certainly play Manly and Melbourne in different ways.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Eelementary said:
8. Hannant
9. Berrigan
10. Civoniceva
11. Parker
12. Thorn (?)
13. Eastwood

I can't recall who played in the number 12. But other than that, you have 4 ex or current rep players, an up-and-comer who's been playing brilliantly and whoever played in the number 12.

Now...Who thought we should have won this easily? Any team that can have a pack with such talent as that is always going to be hard to beat.

I bet any coach would love to have a pack like that....

Imagine if Penrith had that pack no way wuld they be in last with them and their backs...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
That's right.

But he also trampled all over some of our players.

My point is that that starting pack, with class like Taylor and Thaiday coming off the bench, was never going to be an easybeat pack.

Pretty spot on and I thought both sides controlled the ruck at various stages and the scoreline reflected that Parra once in field position had more weapons to post points. As a Broncos fan, once we get Hodges (next week), Hunt (2-3 weeks) we'll be fine. Both sides should be applauded imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Y2Eel said:
I bet any coach would love to have a pack like that....

Imagine if Penrith had that pack no way wuld they be in last with them and their backs...

Mate, I agree. The Broncos were missing Tate, Lockyer and Hodges, but their pack was still first class.

And locky - I agree. Everyone says we should have lapped you guys. In my eyes, Brisbane's pack was formidable, and it was always going to be a tough ask.

In my eyes, both teams put on great performances - Brisbane for their heart and aggression, and Parramatta for their resilience and coruage under fire. Well done both teams. :clap:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Exactly Eele. Whether Hayne dived or not, I could not give a toss. What we should be happy about is that we got a great game of footy to watch. Both sides played well, and the difference was the kicking games, brisbane's was woeful, parras was pretty good. The game was always going to be close, anyone who thought otherwise was silly.

Eelementary

Post Whore
All this talk about "if Parra don't smash the Broncos, we're not a tru Premiership contender" was always rubbish, in my eyes. And all that commentary during the game that Parramatta played so poorly and Brisbane so well was rubbish.

A team that contains Carroll, Parker, Hannant, Civoniceva, Taylor, Eastwood and Berrigan will always be hard to beat in my eyes. For us to hold on like we did, and for Brisbane to come back like they did, made for a thrilling match.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
hineyrulz said:

What else is he going to say?

"We knew if we could get a couple of tries ahead we'd be able to shut them out - they've got nothing!"

Honestly, if that was Melbourne in the second half (or maybe even a full-strength Broncos) they would have made a lot more risky passes and dropped heaps of ball.

The Broncos were incredible in their patient-but-fast approach to the second half. Playing tight was the best thing we could've done tonight.

The Broncos might be missing a bunch of backs but with strengths all across the park all they have to do is play up the middle and they lose nothing. They'll win loads more games this year.

I dare say they would have played the same way against us even with Lockyer and Hunt on the field. They just would've kicked better.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Eelementary said:
All this talk about "if Parra don't smash the Broncos, we're not a tru Premiership contender" was always rubbish, in my eyes. And all that commentary during the game that Parramatta played so poorly and Brisbane so well was rubbish.

A team that contains Carroll, Parker, Hannant, Civoniceva, Taylor, Eastwood and Berrigan will always be hard to beat in my eyes. For us to hold on like we did, and for Brisbane to come back like they did, made for a thrilling match.

Throwin Thaiday, Taylor, Thorn

Eelementary

Post Whore
Defnitely. Their backs were weakened, but their pack was at its intimidating, powerful best. Best pack in the game, in my eyes.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The broncos played to their potential lastnight and nearly stole it from us I really think at 14 nil in the break the boys mindset was complete and they were hanging out for after match drinks.

we need to look at that.

eel01s

Bench
The best thing about last night's game was that it was a good tough win. I thought our forwards did extremely well against a 1st class Broncos pack and that set up the win. Our goal line defence was excellent for the most part, obviously except for the 2 Berrigan tries.

I think the boys will take more out of the last 2 weeks than at any other stage of the year. We really needed to learn how to grind out some tough wins and we have done that.

I also agree with the earlier comments on the Foxtel commentators. Fair dinkum Laurie Daley!!! This guy was wanting Parra to throw the ball wide at every play - I think if we did that we would have played right into the Broncos hands and turned over a lot more possession, leading to a Broncos win. We have to be patient in attack and I think we achieved that last night.

Why can't all commentators just call the game and be unbiased?

Latest posts