What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14 halfbacks in 8 years- PJ and Tim Smith to battle it out

mightypanther

Juniors
mightypanther will back me up on that - look at the difference in Penrith with a stable halves pairing in Campbell and Gower and the difference it makes to the side if Gower in particular is injured????

For sure.......just look at the way we fell apart at SOO time this year, and when
Gower was injured for the 8 weeks in a row as well.

Campbell had a lot of trouble trying to click with anyone else, and we really didn't
have anyone else who could just slip into the halfback role. It was almost a disaster.

Full credit to Gower for getting them back on track again on his return.

That's one position where penrith has not had a quality back up since Brad Drew.
He used to do a great job filling in at both hooker and halfback when he was with us,
and I was very sad to see his game deteriorate the way it did after he left Penrith,
but especially when he went to Canberra. :cry:

fish eel

Immortal
disagree!

I rated Dave very highly prior to his injury.

yeah....but he wasnt that good at organising us and leading us around the paddock!

all that stuff was done, TE said by jimmy and smith. without those guys, we'd have struggled with penna at half

The Colonel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
If you go back to 1986 and I'm sure you'll find at least 30 that have been tried and thrown away. Its not just a Brian Smith thing. No one person has been able to hold the 7 jersey since Sterling. These are just off the top of my head and I know there are more.

Steve Jolly, Martin Seal, Garen Casey, Stu Galbraith, Jason Bell, Keith Blackett, Denis Moran, Troy Pezet, Andrew Fitzhenry, Tulsen Tollett, Garen Casey, Johnny Brewer, Craig Freer, Gary Freeman, Chris Lawler, Daniel Brown, Mark Barnes, John Simon, Jason Bell, David Penna, Ben Kusto, PJ Marsh, Jason Taylor, Andrew McFadden, Brad Drew, Paul Green, Michael Witt, Adam Dykes, Chris Thorman

And if you go back prior to Sterlo cementing the spot off the top of my head again - older supporters may remember more - Graham Murray, Michael Pattison, John Kolc, Steve Ella....

Eelementary

Post Whore
mightypanther said:
don't worry!!

we've been 10 times more scathing than that!

:lol: ...I wasn't trying to be nasty.

Do you think the reason for so many changes has been because all those players
really weren't up to the job.......or do you think it's been too much chopping
and changing by BS looking for instant success ?

Or do you think it's something else altogether ?

Bad injury luck - Dykes, Gree (I am one of the people who are willing to recognise the fact that at the Broncos game at Parramatta Paul was starting to find form again, but unluckily suffered a serious injury)

Dumb signings - no offence, but why go after Leuluai? We have two young halfbacks already, plus Morris, plus Marsh if need be. Last year we focused on second rate forwards (Stapleton and Cannings excepted), whereas we should have been strengthening our halves.

Chopping and changing - whilst Thorman was with us, he played hooker, halfback and 5/8. He even played lock a few minutes in the game against Cronulla I believe.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
If you go back to 1986 and I'm sure you'll find at least 30 that have been tried and thrown away. Its not just a Brian Smith thing. No one person has been able to hold the 7 jersey since Sterling. These are just off the top of my head and I know there are more.

Steve Jolly, Martin Seal, Garen Casey, Stu Galbraith, Jason Bell, Keith Blackett, Denis Moran, Troy Pezet, Andrew Fitzhenry, Tulsen Tollett, Garen Casey, Johnny Brewer, Craig Freer, Gary Freeman, Chris Lawler, Daniel Brown, Mark Barnes, John Simon, Jason Bell, David Penna, Ben Kusto, PJ Marsh, Jason Taylor, Andrew McFadden, Brad Drew, Paul Green, Michael Witt, Adam Dykes, Chris Thorman

asserting your dominance or authority here Colonel....????? ;-)

i could have easily gone back through to all of those as well (and was going to) but the thread was only talking about the past 8 years

and on BS, if you read my last couple of posts on this, you might notice that apart from questioning BS on this, i also defended him AND made the point that the situation has been more borne out of the testament to Sterlo's dominance in the poisition at Parra

so, although i was questioning BS again, i was also objective about it too

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
The Colonel said:

Not at all. In between when I started and when I finished I was away from my desk for 20 minutes so a lot of posts appeared before the first handful after mightypanther asked his question

i could have easily gone back through to all of those as well (and was going to) but the thread was only talking about the past 8 years

and on BS, if you read my last couple of posts on this, you might notice that apart from questioning BS on this, i also defended him AND made the point that the situation has been more borne out of the testament to Sterlo's dominance in the poisition at Parra

I was just stating that it wasn't something that had occured while Brian was here. The amount of halfbacks that have been used since 1986 and since 1992 has been astounding. I can't remember the names of the ones we picked up from other clubs that never even played first grade. Its like the jersey has been cursed since the day Dave Gillespie hit Sterlo.

BTW - It isn't always about you TE.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
True EEL said:
The Colonel said:

Not at all. In between when I started and when I finished I was away from my desk for 20 minutes so a lot of posts appeared before the first handful after mightypanther asked his question

I was just stating that it wasn't something that had occured while Brian was here. The amount of halfbacks that have been used since 1986 and since 1992 has been astounding. I can't remember the names of the ones we picked up from other clubs that never even played first grade. Its like the jersey has been cursed since the day Dave Gillespie hit Sterlo.

BTW - It isn't always about you TE.

i never thought or implied it was always about me Colonel, except that when ever i say something constructive or negative about BS i usually get bagged from somebody ;-)

and i think there has been a curse since cement hit Sterlo......its like he knocked the mojo out of Sterlo and the #7 jumper...... :cry: ?????

Stagger eel

Staff member
mightypanther said:
i thought you were a girl.....

Very discerning of you.... :clap: :D

hey MP!

while your hangin out with us, what can you tell us about Peter Lewis? he appaerently signed with us and I'm wanting Panther fans perspective on how he plays.

strider

Post Whore
14 in 8 years....so what?!

How many halves have Brisbane had since Alf left? - I don't know off the top of my head but there'd probably be a bunch in a fairly short period of time....does that make them or Wayne Bennett a bad team/coach?

If you are gonna count every player thats filled in for an injury or come off the bench, then plenty of teams have had alot of halves.

Yeah, halfback has been one of our poorer positions at times....but we were very competative for 5 and a half of those 8 years.

Talk about blowing a frickin statistic out of proportion :roll:

WA Eel

Juniors
Just 2 quick points:

1) '96 - Freeman and Lawler were under Ron Hildich.
2) I think BS had settled on Simon and Bell as his 1/2 and 5/8 until of course, Bell broke his leg and Simon lost form (quite dramatically so). Neither of which can be blamed on BS.

Yes, he has gone through a lot of halfbacks, but I can't think of 1 which I can point at and say "Brian should have struck with him".

bartman

Immortal
I took a safe guess that with Girds in your sig and av you'd be a girl MP ;-)

Each year recruitment is about looking at your team, and working out the balance between buying in some experience, or taking a gamble on some youth. It should never be just one or the other - they tend not to work out for long unless mixed in some way.

Next year PJ Marsh is our recruitment in the "experienced" halves category. I hope his recovery from injury means that he can fill that role (a gamble in itself?), otherwise we're taking a gamble on youth (Tim Smith?) at half. Sometimes gambles pay off... I'm hoping one of these ones do!! And alongside the strength in our pack and all of our winger-cum-centres, we might just make the 8?

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
I took a safe guess that with Girds in your sig and av you'd be a girl MP ;-)

Each year recruitment is about looking at your team, and working out the balance between buying in some experience, or taking a gamble on some youth. It should never be just one or the other - they tend not to work out for long unless mixed in some way.

Next year PJ Marsh is our recruitment in the "experienced" halves category. I hope his recovery from injury means that he can fill that role (a gamble in itself?), otherwise we're taking a gamble on youth (Tim Smith?) at half. Sometimes gambles pay off... I'm hoping one of these ones do!! And alongside the strength in our pack and all of our winger-cum-centres, we might just make the 8?

mate,

it's no different to 2003 except for the fact we have better players there. we threw Witt in first grade after half a season in jersey flegg and a handful of Premier league games due to Paul Greens injury, so we were behind the 8 ball from Greens injury and Witt did ok in firstgrade in fact better than this year.

Next year we have another bloke coming in from a long term injury + Smith who had 2 full seasons in the lower grades and has more ability than Witt, Green who spent 3/4 of the season in Premeir league and played Australian school boys and Peranara, who was on the verge of a first grade birth before injury robbed him of the distinction.

if all these blokes are healthy, I'm super confident the very least 1 or 2 of them will carve up.

fish eel

Immortal
i could be wrong about Penna and fullback - but i am sure he did play there on occasions and particularly in the lower grades???? he may even have scored his 4 or 5 tries in the lower grades playing fullback?????

He scored 5 tries in one day playing 5/8.

Bagged 4 in the old presidents cup competition, then came on as a replacement in reserve grade and bagged another one.....or thats my recollection anyway.

He mainly played 5/8 when coming up the lower grades.