What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'14 - Round 9 v Roosters (Team Lists)

I was one of the throng of supporters criticising Rowe after his first few games and never thought much of him as an u20 player. But he did very well last night in attack and his positional play was surprisingly good. While he is no match for Tedesco, if he carries his form from last night into the next few rounds he will prove to be a handy fill-in.

The talking point from last night, apart from our woeful ball handling, should be Brooks' performance. I know that he is beyond reproach for a lot of supporters, but I've been pretty ambivalent about his attack and kicking game so far this year. Maybe it's just a case of burdening a young kid with huge expectations. Although nobody has such aspirations for Rowe, we should cut him a little slack on account of his youth too..

Who else was impressed by the return of Jack Bucking Buchanan? It was a master stroke of Potter to hold him back until the end to unleash him on the tiring Roosters' forwards. Last night he gave us that impact from the bench that we've been lacking all year from Tapau, Gavet et al.

Matchball

Bench
We need another hooker. Nothing we have suggests we have plan for when Robbie retires.
We really miss his attacking options and defence last night.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was one of the throng of supporters criticising Rowe after his first few games and never thought much of him as an u20 player. But he did very well last night in attack and his positional play was surprisingly good. While he is no match for Tedesco, if he carries his form from last night into the next few rounds he will prove to be a handy fill-in.

The talking point from last night, apart from our woeful ball handling, should be Brooks' performance. I know that he is beyond reproach for a lot of supporters, but I've been pretty ambivalent about his attack and kicking game so far this year. Maybe it's just a case of burdening a young kid with huge expectations. Although nobody has such aspirations for Rowe, we should cut him a little slack on account of his youth too..
Brooks didn't touch the ball often enough. Like any half, he'll struggle when his forwards struggle to dominate.

We dropped a shitload of ball too.

We need another hooker. Nothing we have suggests we have plan for when Robbie retires.
We really miss his attacking options and defence last night.

Eveyhing suggests we have a succession plan. Have a look at Manaia Cherrington.
Will be ready next year to fill in and begin his senior development.

Who else was impressed by the return of Jack Bucking Buchanan? It was a master stroke of Potter to hold him back until the end to unleash him on the tiring Roosters' forwards. Last night he gave us that impact from the bench that we've been lacking all year from Tapau, Gavet et al.

I didnt see any impact at all. Plodder of the highest order.
Would have preferred BMM......

Akoala needs some time in Reggies.....Like another yer or so.
Needs to develop basic defensive issues before coming back.
Missing big and costly tackles every week.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Im honestly fine with that game. If Roosters played us with half their team missing and we were at full strength we would have toweled them.

Rowe is looking better which is great to see. A bit more size and experience and he will be a great replacement for when Teddy is injured.

Just two more games to get through then we should be back to full strength

I didnt see any impact at all. Plodder of the highest order.
Would have preferred BMM......

Sorry, I should've made it clear that I was being sarcastic. I hold Buchanan in the same regard as Shaun Spence, Pancake Paterson, Steve the bull bar Trindall, Hayes Lauder and Trent Runciman - club legends.

gords

Juniors
To me Akoala doesnt offer a lot. Rarely runs flat out, makes too many stupid errors and often gets shown up in defence.

Vic Mackey

Referee
last night showed that our fringe players arent at the level we want them to be at yet. buchanan looked terrible but id be willing to give him some time, everyone forgets he was quiet good to start 2013 but then faded away (he looked like he has lost weight to me).

akauloa and paterson are fill ins in a strong side. we asked too much of them last night. akauloa has potential but as said needs more time in nsw cup to develop.

ava has been shown up without gavet and sue. at the moment he is a 20 minute prop coming on towards the end of the game, he isnt good enough to make inroads early when everyones fresh. not his fault, he will get there, just not yet.

at full strength guys like ava and akauloa are fine because we dont need them to do too much. but without established first graders and asking them to play 50mins + is beyond at this stage of their careers.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Akoala needs some time in Reggies.....Like another yer or so.
Needs to develop basic defensive issues before coming back.
Missing big and costly tackles every week.

agree

believe it or not he played most of his juniors as a fullback, i think he only moved to the forwards when he got to our nyc team. he played 1 game last year, if he gets 6-10 this year it will do him good. then next year push for a fulltime spot. still learning but worth persisting with.

Latest posts