What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'14 // SF2 // Sat // Sea Eagles 17-18* Bulldogs // Allianz

Semi Final: Sea Eagles v Bulldogs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

butchmcdick

Immortal
I have to agree. Should be a change over. Up to the attacking team to ensure the ref isn't in the way when kicking the ball. But them's the rules at the moment.

As for the field goal, I think 7 tackles is fair as it works well in the game overall. Otherwise teams will start pretending to go for field goals to stop 7 tackle sets.

How can the attacking team ensure the ref isn't in the way ?

Game_Breaker

Coach
Mate, in origin they let you get away with abit more in the ruck, during certain games like last night there's abit more leeway in terms of hitting kickers late but there's a big difference between hitting a kicker fractionally late and hitting a kicker 5 seconds after the fact, just like there's a big difference between being half a metre offside and 6m offside and just for the record I defended the refs vehemently last night

There is a difference, yet they're both against the rules.

It doesn't compare to hitting a kicker fractionally late and 5 secs late. Even in a club game a fraction late isn't penalised

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
The rule should be:
Ball goes to the team's who's half it hits them. If directly on the 50, it goes to attacking. That's both feet on the line or one either side.

Congratz doggies. Tough game.

Red Bear

Referee
Honestly, my two most despised teams. But that was one of the best games of footy this year Real tough, real enjoyable

Apey

Staff member
Man did DCE phone that game in or what?

Shouldn't have been as close as it was Manly were directionless.

0neye

tumblr_ly4k22NOcO1qf20t9o4_500.gif

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Is there a better solution for the ref one though? Probably better to have it clear cut then something left up to interpretation.

If the attacking team is to get it back why the hell don't they just get a play of the ball where it hit the ref on the numbered tackle they are up to?

Why the f*ck do they get 6 again if its the 5th when they have absolutely no right to get 6 again.

Has to be THE dumbest rule in league at the moment.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I have to agree. Should be a change over. Up to the attacking team to ensure the ref isn't in the way when kicking the ball. But them's the rules at the moment.

As for the field goal, I think 7 tackles is fair as it works well in the game overall. Otherwise teams will start pretending to go for field goals to stop 7 tackle sets.

Serious question - how do you pretend to go for a field goal to avoid the 7 tackles?

If you are down by 2 (or 50 for that matter) then common sense would prevail that they are not going for a field goal.

If they are down by 1 and have a dig at the field goal then it goes dead so be it. 6 tackles from the restart. But no idiot is going to believe someone saying "I was going for the field goal sir" when they are down by 4.....

Dogs Of War

Coach
Serious question - how do you pretend to go for a field goal to avoid the 7 tackles?

If you are down by 2 (or 50 for that matter) then common sense would prevail that they are not going for a field goal.

If they are down by 1 and have a dig at the field goal then it goes dead so be it. 6 tackles from the restart. But no idiot is going to believe someone saying "I was going for the field goal sir" when they are down by 4.....

Think it out totally, you could do that at any time of the match. Kick it dead by attempting a field goal, thus nullifying the 7 tackle set that would normally occur. One team will work it out, and then all would be doing it.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Think it out totally, you could do that at any time of the match. Kick it dead by attempting a field goal, thus nullifying the 7 tackle set that would normally occur. One team will work it out, and then all would be doing it.

I get what you are saying.

Perhaps the rule is modified to the last 10 minutes of the game to avoid teams exploiting the loophole for 70 minutes of the game. I don't know. But it's a stupid rule.

Latest posts