What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 teams and a bye every week

By having Perth and Adelaide in a national comp, what ever costs are involved to run them would surely be offset and made up by having a national footprint for TV, marketing, sponsors etc.

flippikat

Bench
By having Perth and Adelaide in a national comp, what ever costs are involved to run them would surely be offset and made up by having a national footprint for TV, marketing, sponsors etc.

Ahh yeah, but that's where self-interest comes (and CONFLICT of interest) comes in.

More big centres & a Brisbane derby probably means bigger price for broadcasting rights.. but News Ltd didn't wanna pay more than they had to.

Easy decision for them to let the Reds, Rams & Crushers die, because they save money twice - no bailout costs, and no mad inflation of TV rights.

ARL wasn't gonna argue for the Reds and Rams because a) they were "traitors" and b) less pressure on the Sydney clubs if the frontier teams die.

Beats me why the ARL didn't fight harder for the Chargers & Crushers though.. even in the face of strong Broncos lobbying for a SEQ monopoly.

The Great Dane

First Grade
In hindsight they probably should never have kicked the Rabbitohs out in the first place and cut a couple of other Sydney clubs... Out of all the Sydney clubs Souths have done the best to grow their fanbase and rely on memberships for revenue rather than Leagues club money. They should get some credit for that.

If the Rabbits weren't around somebody else would have taken their place as the big success story.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's kinda what I was thinking. NRL/News buying the frontier clubs, getting them up to pace then privatising them.

It needed money, and the will to see past the "here and now" to do it, but not utterly impossible.

The NRL couldn't really afford to bank roll clubs at that time, and it would have been hard to convince News to do it if they didn't want to.

flippikat

Bench
The NRL couldn't really afford to bank roll clubs at that time, and it would have been hard to convince News to do it if they didn't want to.

Good point, and I guess it's easily forgotten just how drained & battle-weary everyone was by the end of 1997.

Hindsight is 20-20, and I guess the key thing was stopping both sides hemorrhaging money in a civil war that could've killed the game altogether.

MugaB

Coach
Good point, and I guess it's easily forgotten just how drained & battle-weary everyone was by the end of 1997.

Hindsight is 20-20, and I guess the key thing was stopping both sides hemorrhaging money in a civil war that could've killed the game altogether.
Imagine Reds, Rams & Crushers existed from then onwards and had not been folded, maybe NRL would have been throwing money down the pit as AFL has been with GWS & Suns, chances are one or all could have folded some 5 or 10 years later, (RU western force style) which would have probably seen another possible street March in perth or brisbane, or maybe they'd have all been ok, and been able to truck along after a few bail outs (titans style)
We'll never know, but im happy Cowboys and Warriors are in the comp, it's proof that expansion has worked, regardless of on field successes, the fact they've lasted 25 years, since ARLs vision of 4 team expansion, i personally would have wanted perth and adelaide to stay too, even if Adelaide stemed from SL, but Melbourne also being the success story (even after tons of cash went into that too) is a blessing knowing all the AFL crazies down there.
The next ten years will be interesting, as NRL seem to have rolled out plans on a 2-4 years basis with hall of fame/immortals, world cups, now hopefully expansion, then you'd think another expansion team the following tv deal

The Great Dane

First Grade

To be fair somebody did come along and bankroll the Warriors after they folded, so maybe it's not as unlikely that other clubs could have found patrons as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To be fair somebody did come along and bankroll the Warriors after they folded, so maybe it's not as unlikely that other clubs could have found patrons as well.

reds had a money backer, the addition of reserve grade after they had been accepted screwed their finances and effectively killed the club. That decision drove the club into the arms of SL and the ownership of News Ltd. it made it easy for news ltd to close down the club and move most of it to Melbourne.

The Great Dane

First Grade
reds had a money backer, the addition of reserve grade after they had been accepted screwed their finances and effectively killed the club. That decision drove the club into the arms of SL and the ownership of News Ltd. it made it easy for news ltd to close down the club and move most of it to Melbourne.

You really aren't keeping up with this conversation lol.

Last Week

Bench
Ahh yeah, but that's where self-interest comes (and CONFLICT of interest) comes in.

More big centres & a Brisbane derby probably means bigger price for broadcasting rights.. but News Ltd didn't wanna pay more than they had to.

Easy decision for them to let the Reds, Rams & Crushers die, because they save money twice - no bailout costs, and no mad inflation of TV rights.

ARL wasn't gonna argue for the Reds and Rams because a) they were "traitors" and b) less pressure on the Sydney clubs if the frontier teams die.

Beats me why the ARL didn't fight harder for the Chargers & Crushers though.. even in the face of strong Broncos lobbying for a SEQ monopoly.

The reason why the Crushers were folded was because News Ltd made it a clause in the peace deal that there was to be no other teams in SEQ for 20 years.

When that deal ended, we got the Titans nearly to the day.

This argument against another Brisbane team is the same argument we heard from the Broncos when the Gold Coast was being talked about. They'll both be fine.

MugaB

Coach
The reason why the Crushers were folded was because News Ltd made it a clause in the peace deal that there was to be no other teams in SEQ for 20 years.

When that deal ended, we got the Titans nearly to the day.

This argument against another Brisbane team is the same argument we heard from the Broncos when the Gold Coast was being talked about. They'll both be fine.
So are we just waiting on the TITANS 20 year deal now, right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has rejected suggestions he and ARL Commission (ARLC) chairman Peter V’landys don’t see eye-to-eye on expansion, but admitted Brisbane is in the “box seat” to get a second team and a final decision will be made before the end of the year.
Speaking at The Courier-Mail’s NRL season launch on Monday, Greenberg couldn’t guarantee that a second Brisbane team would be the 17th side come 2023, and that analysis of different markets would determine the NRL management team’s recommendation to the commission.
While that message appeared at odds with V’landys who said in December that “we need two games every week in Brisbane”, Greenberg said things looked good for the city based off the NRL’s research to date.

“I’m not watering (the message) down. I’m just suggesting to you that there’s a lot work to do before you simply just sign on a the dotted line and say there’s a new team in a new market,” Greenberg said.

“I think Peter’s comments were very clear and I agree with them that there’s great appetite here for a new team here in Brisbane. That’s what he said.

“The challenge on the management team is to provide a recommendation to the commission that stacks up commercially and stacks up for the long term.

“This isn’t about next year or the year after, this is a generational shift. If there’s a new team that comes into a new market, it’s got to here way beyond my lifetime and yours. This is for the next generation of fans.”
Greenberg confirmed there had been “a number of people come forward” from various consortia with the intention to formally submit bids and that those conversations will be held “at the right time”.

While the NRL CEO wasn’t worried he might miss the boat in this broadcast cycle when it came to making a decision on expansion, he did admit that any recommendation needed to be presented to the ARLC before the end of the year.

But as it stands, Brisbane remains the frontrunner.

“It’s absolutely a rugby league town and we’ve seen in particularly the last five years the strength of the game here both in participation rates but also ratings and crowds – it’s been phenomenal,” Greenberg said.

“I say they’re in the box seat because that’s genuine through the numbers and the analysis.

“One of the things we’ll have to consider is if there’s an 18th team, have we got enough players. Have we got the depth and talent to have 18 teams?

“Can we structure a competition with 17 teams? These are all questions we need to answer. That’s why it’s not just a simple question with a simply answer. Every time you consider what a future footprint of the game looks like, there are a lot of questions you need to resolve. That’s the work that’s currently underway.

“There’s no doubt it has to happen this year to give a team a proper runway to land into 2023.

“We have to make sure the recommendations are on the commission’s table toward the back end of this year, if not the middle of this year.”
Greenberg said there were plenty of fans in Brisbane who didn’t support the Broncos that a second team in the city could appeal to.

“We’ve done an enormous amount of research and some of that I can’t disclose,” he said.

“What I can tell you is there are literally 500,000 fans here in Brisbane who don’t support the Broncos but love rugby league. Whether they’re a rusted on fan of another team or they’re looking for a team, I’m not sure about the answer to that question.

“What we do know is fans here in Brisbane love the game and so we want to make sure we give them as much opportunity to watch as much footy as possible.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/6f05652c3d481dd6812d3415eae2c7c8

MugaB

Coach
TWO GAMES IN BRISBANE EVERY WEEK?

How can that happen with only one expansion team
If brisbane broncos play away one week, the Dolphins are at home,
That means Western Corridor or whoever else is also at home.
That to me screams 2 teams in brisbane as expansion, unless he miss-interpreted it, and meant two brisbane clubs playing on tv each week...
Which doesn't really mean much.
But 2 games at Suncorp each week means they are willing to strangle hold brisbane by expanding 2 + clubs.

mongoose

Coach
TWO GAMES IN BRISBANE EVERY WEEK?

How can that happen with only one expansion team
If brisbane broncos play away one week, the Dolphins are at home,
That means Western Corridor or whoever else is also at home.
That to me screams 2 teams in brisbane as expansion, unless he miss-interpreted it, and meant two brisbane clubs playing on tv each week...
Which doesn't really mean much.
But 2 games at Suncorp each week means they are willing to strangle hold brisbane by expanding 2 + clubs.

I think he meant to say 1 game every week in Brisbane...

Dogs Of War

Coach
My biggest problem is the bye each week. Especially how it works out towards the end of season. Cause at some point multiple teams need to have byes at once. As well as teams getting byes just as they are coming into the semi's. Is that an advantage? Disadvantage?

Could cop it for one year, as long as an 18th team was coming the next year. Just make it the bottom 4 teams get the last 4 round of byes.

MugaB

Coach
Freudian slip perhaps?
V'landy's doesn't slip, he isnt peter beattie, if he says we needs 2 games in brisbane every week, its either 2 new expansion clubs there or more sydney teams taking their home games to sumcorp, which i don't see happening other than magic round

flippikat

Bench
NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has rejected suggestions he and ARL Commission (ARLC) chairman Peter V’landys don’t see eye-to-eye on expansion, but admitted Brisbane is in the “box seat” to get a second team and a final decision will be made before the end of the year.

V'landys: "We need a 2nd team in Brisbane, but Perth is never gonna take to league.. they're a rusted on AFL state. 17 teams is all we can handle, anyway."

Greenberg: "Hang on. Easy for you to say that, but have you ever had to RUN a competition with a bye every week? Oh, wait.. you're Chairman.. you don't have to run it day-to-day.. that's my job. Look, can we PLEASE just have 18 teams?"

V'landys: "Nope. 17 is it. Good luck with that, Toddy..."

Latest posts