What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

Pippen94

First Grade
The situation in England and Wales isn't applicable to the situation in Australia, it's comparing apples and oranges.

You say the sport isn't and can't be popular in Perth, so they can't have a club, but the biggest thing setting the growth of the sport back in Perth is that they don't have their own club to support, create a pathway to professionalism, bring more money into the sport locally in Perth, etc.

So you condemn them because the sport isn't popular, then refuse them their best bet at growing the sport. It's a self fulfilling prophecy with only one outcome.

Also I'd love to read these reviews into expansion from the NRL that confirm a 3rd Brisbane team is more desirable, of course I can't read that review because it doesn't exist.
Melbourne is city of 5 million with club for 20 years - how many NRL players they produce?

mongoose

Coach
I think people who are against Perth need to have a bit more faith in the product of Rugby League. After the League finished last night I flicked over to the AFL game that was still playing - Geelong vs Hawthorne. Despite all their multi cultural grandstanding that game is still so whitebread Australia compared to League which looks more exotic by the year with its variety of pacific island heritage. It's a strong point of difference League has and an advantage it can use.

Putting a team in Perth hurts the AFL more than putting more teams in Brisbane or NSW. It gives the game more national exposure for sponsors, another timeslot, more pathways for juniors in that region. If the AFL loving media in Perth don't want to support the NRL team then that is more of a reason to put one there. I don't believe that would happen anyway. Even the Storm were given some favourable media and promotion when they first started, Molly Meldrum?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think people who are against Perth need to have a bit more faith in the product of Rugby League. After the League finished last night I flicked over to the AFL game that was still playing - Geelong vs Hawthorne. Despite all their multi cultural grandstanding that game is still so whitebread Australia compared to League which looks more exotic by the year with its variety of pacific island heritage. It's a strong point of difference League has and an advantage it can use.

Putting a team in Perth hurts the AFL more than putting more teams in Brisbane or NSW. It gives the game more national exposure for sponsors, another timeslot, more pathways for juniors in that region. If the AFL loving media in Perth don't want to support the NRL team then that is more of a reason to put one there. I don't believe that would happen anyway. Even the Storm were given some favourable media and promotion when they first started, Molly Meldrum?

WA media is more parochial than afl centric. Of course afl dominates the back page mostly but the other perth sports clubs gets decent coverage. Nrl gets very little, not because they don’t like RL but because there’s no PERTH team.

flippikat

Bench
WA media is more parochial than afl centric. Of course afl dominates the back page mostly but the other perth sports clubs gets decent coverage. Nrl gets very little, not because they don’t like RL but because there’s no PERTH team.

Yeah.. from my view here in New Zealand, I certainly get the "us vs them" vibe from Perth teams versus... well.. ANYONE! Maybe it's the vast isolation, but it just seems like the WA public just love to get one over the rest of the country., and will rally behind any team that represents them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah.. from my view here in New Zealand, I certainly get the "us vs them" vibe from Perth teams versus... well.. ANYONE! Maybe it's the vast isolation, but it just seems like the WA public just love to get one over the rest of the country., and will rally behind any team that represents them.

The isolation and sense that the east coast doesn’t give a sht about the west drives it. It’s incredibly parochial but quite old fun for t!

Putting a team in Perth won't really hurt the AFL. The local media will still base their sport coverage around the Eagles and Dockers. Pirates will be confined to 9GEM. Local companies will still prefer partnering up with the Eagles and Dockers.

Who is going to fund a Perth franchise?

Without News Ltd and the NRL there's no way the Storm would have lasted 5 years. They were still pumping money into this club after News Ltd left the game.

Any Leagues Club for the Pirates will not have poker machines, as it's against the law in WA. It would rely heavily on investors, and I don't see any RL friendly big suits in thay part of the world. Ziggy Forrest is a rah rah man. Foxtel is $2.3billion in debt and are trying to save as much money as they can to survive.

Put another 2 or 3 teams in Brisbane and you kill fumbleball in south-east Queensland. No sponsor would choose the Lions over Brisbanr 2, 3 or 4 as fumbleball isn't watched nor liked in this part of the world. Each year the Donkeys have to knock back a long list of companies who want their brand associated with them. These companies will go to Brisbane 2, 3 and 4. Each year the Lions lose millions od dollars and need to be bailed out by the AFL. Adding NRL clubs to the city will force the AFL to pump more mobey into a bottomless pit just to have a team in Brisbane, or bite the bullet and exit the market.

jim_57

Staff member
Putting a team in Perth won't really hurt the AFL. The local media will still base their sport coverage around the Eagles and Dockers. Pirates will be confined to 9GEM. Local companies will still prefer partnering up with the Eagles and Dockers.

Without News Ltd and the NRL there's no way the Storm would have lasted 5 years. They were still pumping money into this club after News Ltd left the game.

Any Leagues Club for the Pirates will not have poker machines, as it's against the law in WA. It would rely heavily on investors, and I don't see any RL friendly big suits in thay part of the world. Ziggy Forrest is a rah rah man. Foxtel is $2.3billion in debt and are trying to save as much money as they can to survive.

Put another 2 or 3 teams in Brisbane and you kill fumbleball in south-east Queensland. No sponsor would choose the Lions over Brisbanr 2, 3 or 4 as fumbleball isn't watched nor liked in this part of the world. Each year the Donkeys have to knock back a long list of companies who want their brand associated with them. These companies will go to Brisbane 2, 3 and 4. Each year the Lions lose millions od dollars and need to be bailed out by the AFL. Adding NRL clubs to the city will force the AFL to pump more mobey into a bottomless pit just to have a team in Brisbane, or bite the bullet and exit the market.

No way should there be 4 teams in Brisbane, that would be like willingly recreating the oversaturation of Sydney in Brisbane. 2 would do for 10 years until Bris 2 can really establish themselves, then maybe a 3rd or a stand alone Ipswich or Sunshine Coast team (if they've grown significantly as predicted) depending which model they choose for Brisbane 2.

Perth should definitely be the 18th team if not the 17th. Their pros & cons have been done to death on here over the last 10 years, they have far more positive than potential negatives.

No way should there be 4 teams in Brisbane, that would be like willingly recreating the oversaturation of Sydney in Brisbane. 2 would do for 10 years until Bris 2 can really establish themselves, then maybe a 3rd or a stand alone Ipswich or Sunshine Coast team (if they've grown significantly as predicted) depending which model they choose for Brisbane 2.

Perth should definitely be the 18th team if not the 17th. Their pros & cons have been done to death on here over the last 10 years, they have far more positive than potential negatives.
You wouldn't put 4 teams in Brisbane at the same time. I'd have it layered out over a 20 or 25 year period.

No one has been able to answer my question about where the money to fund a Perth term would come from.

There's a reason the ARU got rid of the Western Force. Their crowds were shit and they were a drain on resources. Perth metro isn't as big as Brisbane.

Melbourne needed to be propped up for the best part of 15 years. The NRL isn't going to do the same with Perth.

Maybe the Raiders can relocate to Perth when a suitable buyer puts his hand up. Canberra is only a regional area and the media laws prohibit the same television networks from operating in metro and regional Australia, so Ch9 don't benefit from having a team in Canberra. Canberra draw poor crowds and few people in Brisbane and Sydney are interested in watching them on TV. So for all you Canberra fans crying out for nationalisation at the expense of Brisbane, prove you mean it by getting rid of the one regional club that draws poor crowds and television ratings. You're not an asset like the Cowboys. Canberra's heme game in round 1 at Canberra Stadium drew just 10,000. Cowboys got 24,000 in a much smaller city. While companies like Toyota have long standing sponsorship deals in place with Cowboys going back to 2003 and people across QLD love watching them play, no major company wants to saddle up with the Raiders as there's nothing in it for them. All they have managed to sign up over the last few years is a corrupt Chinese company that was knocked back by the government and union thugs from the CFEMU. That's not a stable club.

There are no pros to a team in Perth if you go by history. The Reds drew less than 9,000 fans per game in 1996 and 1997. The last time the NRL took regular games to Perth Oval in 2017 the average was under 9,000. The Western Force experienced the same fate, and RU is lightyears ahead of RL in Perth.

An article was posted on here that quoted a media analyst. He listed Brisbane 3 and NZ2 as necessities. He didn't even add Perth to the discussion.

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench

Hurting the AFL shouldnt be a reason to expand, bettering the NRL is.

Hurting the AFL shouldnt be a reason to expand, bettering the NRL is.
Adding 2 or 3 teams to Brisbane will do more to improve the NRL than putting one in Perth. It will create derbies for the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys. People born and raised in Brisbane will have mere opportunities to play football in Brisbane. Ch9 get to broadcast a Brisbane team on Thurs, Fri and Sun, maximising viewers and generating more advertising revenue. Perth, NZ2, and Canberra don't offer these advantages.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adding 2 or 3 teams to Brisbane will do more to improve the NRL than putting one in Perth. It will create derbies for the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys. People born and raised in Brisbane will have mere opportunities to play football in Brisbane. Ch9 get to broadcast a Brisbane team on Thurs, Fri and Sun, maximising viewers and generating more advertising revenue. Perth, NZ2, and Canberra don't offer these advantages.

adding even one more Brisbane team hurts at least three current nrl clubs, one potentially terminally. Adding perth grows the game with more players and more fans. Best will in the world another Brisbane team isn’t going to see more kids playing the game or more people watching the game. I think we should bring Brisbane2 in but only alongside perth to add a ninth game content to sell to recoup some of the cost.

The second link requires a subscription to read. The third one made me LOL when I read this bit.

"He's another Nathan Tinkler and he's determined to get involved. Perth is crying out for a rugby league team and Tony is the guy who could make it happen."

That worked out so well for the Knights, didn't it? :eek:

You'll need more than the bloke from Cash Converters to succeed. Obvioualy his proposal wasn't worthy of admission because PVL didn't accept it. The funny bit about that is he used the Nines to present his case for why Perth should be next in line, but all it did was prove the opposite. No one went to it over the two days. Accept it, your bid sucks and doesn't deserve to be accepted. A Perth team will only average about 8,000 if history is anything to go by.

Perth is never going to produce the talent that comes out of Brisbane, and if you think a team there will change that you're living in a fantasy world. Any team that's put in Perth will be heavily reliant on talent from Brisbane, Logan, Sydney, NZ, NQ, Newcastle, Wollongong and Gold Coast to play for it.

The only club that would be seriously hurt by Brisbane 2 is your team, Melbourne Storm, and that's because they're the biggest parasites in the game, poaching players fron Brisbane and producing none of their own. You just want Brisbane to be a production farm for parasite clubs like Melbourne and any team that is put in Perth.

PVL is a smart man. He wouldn't be leaving Perth out in the cold if a solid economic plan was presented to him. Whatever plan this Cash Converters bloke tried ro feed him obviously didn't go down too well, as PVL rejected it. Why can't you just accept it that it's not viable?

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The second link requires a subscription to read. The third one made me LOL when I read this bit.

"He's another Nathan Tinkler and he's determined to get involved. Perth is crying out for a rugby league team and Tony is the guy who could make it happen."

You'll need more than the bloke from Cash Converters to succeed. Obvioualy his proposal wasn't worthy of admission because PVL didn't accept it. The funny bit about that is he used the Nines to present his case for why Perth should be next in line, but all it did was prove the opposite. No one went to it over the two days. Accept it, your bid sucks and doesn't deserve to be accepted. A Perth team will only average about 8,000 if history is anything to go by.

Perth is never going to produce the talent that comes out of Brisbane, and if you think a team there will change that you're living in a fantasy world. Any team that's put in Perth will be heavily reliant on talent from Brisbane, Logan, Sydney, NZ, NQ, Newcastle, Wollongong and Gold Coast to play for it.

The only club that would be seriously hurt by Brisbane 2 is your team, Melbourne Storm, and that's because they're the biggest parasites in the game, poaching players fron Brisbane and producing none of their own. You just want Brisbane to be a production farm for parasite clubs like Melbourne and any team that is put in Perth.
I'd have to agree on adding a perth team aswell as a brisbane team in the next two next expansion teams, NRL cannot just give up trying to enter another market, especially one which can open the timeslot in WA, if V'landy's gets to flush out his private jet idea and it becomes feasable to those clubs far away from the sydney centric clubs, there's no reason Perth cannot be a viable option as the 18th team,
But Brisbane need atleast 2 more clubs, whether its now and another in 10 years, it has to be done, Suncorp has to be played at every week, and I've stated before if Netball and A-league can have clubs in WA and SA, we shouldn't have an issue either, a private jet aswell as excellent scheduling can make it happen. But gaining good juniors and marquee players to those two states is imperative aswell as good coaching staff otherwise there is no point, and will be creating two more titans to carry the load in a competition, that needs to remain competitive.
I'm hopeful in the current ARLC can venture to get us to 20 clubs in the next 10-15 years

The Great Dane

First Grade
Maybe the Raiders can relocate to Perth when a suitable buyer puts his hand up. Canberra is only a regional area and the media laws prohibit the same television networks from operating in metro and regional Australia, so Ch9 don't benefit from having a team in Canberra. Canberra draw poor crowds and few people in Brisbane and Sydney are interested in watching them on TV. So for all you Canberra fans crying out for nationalisation at the expense of Brisbane, prove you mean it by getting rid of the one regional club that draws poor crowds and television ratings. You're not an asset like the Cowboys. Canberra's heme game in round 1 at Canberra Stadium drew just 10,000. Cowboys got 24,000 in a much smaller city. While companies like Toyota have long standing sponsorship deals in place with Cowboys going back to 2003 and people across QLD love watching them play, no major company wants to saddle up with the Raiders as there's nothing in it for them. All they have managed to sign up over the last few years is a corrupt Chinese company that was knocked back by the government and union thugs from the CFEMU. That's not a stable club.
What's best for Nine and what's best for RL aren't always the same thing. In fact they are rarely the same thing.

When you take everything into account (market size, competition in the market, climate, quality of the stadium, exposure) Canberra is punching above it's weight in attendance when compared to most other markets, especially when considering what Brisbane and your average Sydney club is getting per capita.

Cherry picking round 1 of 2020 is extremely disingenuous considering the circumstances, especially when you are comparing to the Cowboys who were holding the grand opening of their new stadium.

Say what you will about Chinese companies, the CCP's control over them, and the way that they act, I've never really been comfortable with the Raiders association with Huawei myself, but they are probably the biggest sponsor in the NRL, no other club could have got their patronage considering the circumstances, and they're as close to a dream sponsor as there is.

Aside from maybe Canberra Milk, they are probably the best sponsor the club's ever had in what they do for the club and their willingness to work with the club.

There's also no way you can justify kicking a financially stable club (pandemic aside) with multiple income sources out of the competition while there're nine clubs in Sydney, and most of the competition is struggling to keep their heads above water.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

PVL is a smart man. He wouldn't be leaving Perth out in the cold if a solid economic plan was presented to him. Whatever plan this Cash Converters bloke tried ro feed him obviously didn't go down too well, as PVL rejected it. Why can't you just accept it that it's not viable?
Bloody good thing that multiple successful business men, whom, unlike Tinkler, have long records of success, want to be involved then...

Also what is this obsession with juniors playing for their "local" teams. Don't get me wrong, producing juniors is important, but we might be the last place on the planet where it's a big deal where they play out their professional careers.
This attitude that e.g. "Brisbane" somehow owns any players that come out of Brisbane is also extremely weird, and kind of sick. It's also completely one sided; all of the local players owe something to the local club and are obliged to support them, even if the local club had little to nothing to do with bringing them through, but if "Brisbane" doesn't want a player anymore then they have no obligation to them, and can just throw them away like old trash.

I'd have to agree on adding a perth team aswell as a brisbane team in the next two next expansion teams, NRL cannot just give up trying to enter another market, especially one which can open the timeslot in WA, if V'landy's gets to flush out his private jet idea and it becomes feasable to those clubs far away from the sydney centric clubs, there's no reason Perth cannot be a viable option as the 18th team,
But Brisbane need atleast 2 more clubs, whether its now and another in 10 years, it has to be done, Suncorp has to be played at every week, and I've stated before if Netball and A-league can have clubs in WA and SA, we shouldn't have an issue either, a private jet aswell as excellent scheduling can make it happen. But gaining good juniors and marquee players to those two states is imperative aswell as good coaching staff otherwise there is no point, and will be creating two more titans to carry the load in a competition, that needs to remain competitive.
I'm hopeful in the current ARLC can venture to get us to 20 clubs in the next 10-15 years
The private jet will make Perth more feasible, I just don't know if the NRL can afford the expense of propping up another club in an expansion market. They've already had to bail out the Titans, Newcastle, St George ans Wests over the last decade. A Perth team has a far greater likelihood of falling on hard times than anyone else as they don't have the advantages of being based in a massive city like Melbourne or a heartland area like Brisbane and Sydney.

Cash Converters were the main sponsors of the Reds. That club's economic model was unsustainable. Cash Converters must have had some insight on it at the time. Now this Cumins bloke from Cash Converters wants to lead the next consortium. Can we trust Cash Converters to stick around when the club falls on hard times? What if Cash Converters falls on hard times?

A Perth team will be competing with Melbourne for access to talent in the heartland areas. I don't know if the NRL are willing to weaken Melbourne amd risk having two albatross around their neck. Despite all the onfield success Melbourne have had, their crowds have been poor. A team in a city of that size should be averaging at least 25,000 with the amount of success they've had. How many fans will give up on the Storm should they have a few rough seasons?

I cannot see the Pirates having the same onfield success of the Storm, and they will need it to make a dent in the Perth market. The Force struggled onfield after raiding the playing stocks of Queensland, creating two weak teams. Fan support dropped like flies until their axing by ARU.

Latest posts