What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cummins has been funding RL in WA for last twenty years including the sg ball side for last 8 years, yeh I think we can trust him To stick around!
Ok enough, we have different opinions, you are in a minority that cant see the value and opportunity a perth team brings, the majority can see it is RL’s best chance of expanding beyond its current geography. Despite constantly being given evidence against your arguments you still refuse to see it so I’m done trying to educate you out of your ignorance..

mongoose

Coach
The private jet will make Perth more feasible, I just don't know if the NRL can afford the expense of propping up another club in an expansion market. They've already had to bail out the Titans, Newcastle, St George ans Wests over the last decade. A Perth team has a far greater likelihood of falling on hard times than anyone else as they don't have the advantages of being based in a massive city like Melbourne or a heartland area like Brisbane and Sydney.

Cash Converters were the main sponsors of the Reds. That club's economic model was unsustainable. Cash Converters must have had some insight on it at the time. Now this Cumins bloke from Cash Converters wants to lead the next consortium. Can we trust Cash Converters to stick around when the club falls on hard times? What if Cash Converters falls on hard times?

A Perth team will be competing with Melbourne for access to talent in the heartland areas. I don't know if the NRL are willing to weaken Melbourne amd risk having two albatross around their neck. Despite all the onfield success Melbourne have had, their crowds have been poor. A team in a city of that size should be averaging at least 25,000 with the amount of success they've had. How many fans will give up on the Storm should they have a few rough seasons?

I cannot see the Pirates having the same onfield success of the Storm, and they will need it to make a dent in the Perth market. The Force struggled onfield after raiding the playing stocks of Queensland, creating two weak teams. Fan support dropped like flies until their axing by ARU.

The Storm significantly boost the broadcast revenue the NRL gets though, without them the NRL gets less money, would have a lower salary cap and potentially players like Ponga go to Union.
At least an Perth NRL team would only be competing with 2 AFL clubs ( and 1 RU club) rather than 9 AFL clubs and 1 RU club.

MugaB

Coach
The Storm significantly boost the broadcast revenue the NRL gets though, without them the NRL gets less money, would have a lower salary cap and potentially players like Ponga go to Union.
At least an Perth NRL team would only be competing with 2 AFL clubs ( and 1 RU club) rather than 9 AFL clubs and 1 RU club.
I actually think AFL doesn't mind the Storm in Melbourne, coz they have a hatred for NSW, and being "the sporting city" they can stomach one successful RL club, but if RL expanded in melbourne moreso??? Not sure they can handle the city looked upon with failure like a Gold Coast Titans

Cummins has been funding RL in WA for last twenty years including the sg ball side for last 8 years, yeh I think we can trust him To stick around!
Ok enough, we have different opinions, you are in a minority that cant see the value and opportunity a perth team brings, the majority can see it is RL’s best chance of expanding beyond its current geography. Despite constantly being given evidence against your arguments you still refuse to see it so I’m done trying to educate you out of your ignorance..
I am not against the idea altogether, I am just cautious. The constant criticism from you and a few others towards Sydney and Brisbane make it hard to sympathise with your plight. You are very disrespectful towards the heartland areas, telling us what to do and when to do it. You will get more support when you stop acting like you're better than all of us just because you're from England.

You don't care about the hardship that BRL fans had to endure and you expect us to just forget about our history. Bringing in a couple of BRL linked teams, preferably in the form of mergers, is a great way to honour the history of the BRL and reconnect with fans who have been lost to the game. I know people who don't have a team to follow any more as they never adopted the Donkeys when they killed the BRL. If you and a few others think it is good for the game to destroy the history of rugby league in the world's 2nd largest RL heartland then you don't deserve to have a club.

I also don't trust Cash Converters because they prey on the less fortunate by giving them loans at 30% interest. You're always whining about Leagues Clubs, but they're not the ones loaning money to drug addicts and then charging 30% interest.

Melbourne is a major metro area for the FTA networks and Foxtel. Perth is not any where as important in their eyes.

Highly likely, question is which one from Brisbane ? On a podcast Livermore (Bombers CEO) mentioned he would be not be surprised if more bids came in. Out of the current bids personally favour either the Dolphins or Firehawks.
Firehawks, Dolphins or Jets will work great. Bombers will be a dud, just like the Crushers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is tv really going to stump up $14mill for no extra content and a few thousand extra Brisbane fans watching a week? Obviously fox aren’t otherwise it would be part of the extension and the nrl would be announcing it now.

jim_57

Staff member
Melbourne 2?

Before Brisbane 2/3, Perth, Adelaide and NZ2?

Very much doubt it.

Yeh agreed, I don't think you'd find many people who like Rugby League in Melbourne who wouldn't already go for the Storm, except for expats who already have a team like myself. You'd want the Storm to be pushing 40-50k membership & 25k+ average crowds regularly selling out AAMI before you'd consider it.

I seem to remember AAMI was going to be built to be relatively "easy" to upgrade to 40 or 50k should the need arise. Not sure if that ever happened, doesn't look it with the roof but I'm no engineer.

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
Yeh agreed, I don't think you'd find many people who like Rugby League in Melbourne who wouldn't already go for the Storm, except for expats who already have a team like myself. You'd want the Storm to be pushing 40-50k membership & 25k+ average crowds regularly selling out AAMI before you'd consider it.

I seem to remember AAMI was going to be built to be relatively "easy" to upgrade to 40 or 50k should the need arise. Not sure if that ever happened, doesn't look it with the roof but I'm no engineer.
Foundations and everything were built to hold a 50k stadium down the line, but then the roof design came later and doesnt allow for this to happen, would have to be torn down and rebuilt

Perth Red

Post Whore
At best the second Brisbane team is going to bring 50k extra viewers when they are on fta. That’s less than a 10% increase on fta figures. Is Ch9, given their stance on RL really going to fork up $14million extra a year for a 10%, if they put them on fta every week, audience increase? I can see two teams and ninth game adding extra content to sell being valuable but I just don’t see it with only adding one team.

jim_57

Staff member
At best the second Brisbane team is going to bring 50k extra viewers when they are on fta. That’s less than a 10% increase on fta figures. Is Ch9, given their stance on RL really going to fork up $14million extra a year for a 10%, if they put them on fta every week, audience increase? I can see two teams and ninth game adding extra content to sell being valuable but I just don’t see it with only adding one team.

I can't see them staying at 17 for all that long, they might not be shouting it from the rooftops but surely an 18th team would follow within 5 years.

Looking at it positively 2nd team in Brisbane has been nailed on for some time as one of the next 2 teams. If V'landys wants to make it happen that is better than the 'will we, won't we, oops self interest says no' we've seen for the last 12 years. V'landys will be gone in a few years anyway, then the next person can make the call on an obvious need for an 18th team.

I do worry though that if V'landys does hang around we'd end up with Central Coast North Sydney Bears as the 18th.