What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate, you really are slow aren’t you. My god.

Sensible investment is the only investment they’ll make. Sensible investment is the only investment any successful business makes. Rash investment very rarely pays off.

PNG is only sensible because of a whopping $600million commitment. If that commitment isn’t there then it isn’t sensible.

Dolphins was sensible because of an abundance of reasons - take your pick. You’re so caught up trying to one up people and prove you’re right that you cannot see how wrong you actually are.
No Im just not as biased as you and therefore not reading his comments into being something they are not. I can get behind a Pirates or Bears team in Perth.
I get it, you are desperate to see your club back in NRL. We all get that. But Vlandys, for the first time has in no uncertain terms said Perth does not have to adopt the Bears to be a NRL club. Theres no other way of saying it.

You or I have no idea what the Perth bid + WA govt offer looks like from a funding and resources point of view. Im guessing Vlandys now does and thats why he has toned down the Bears rhetoric. Of course there is some 'sensible' benefits to a partnership, but its not critical. The bloke running the show just said it himself.

From your point of view this could be a good or bad thing. on one hand it might bolster the Perth Bid's belief they can go it alone, on the other it might make the Bears be less secure and back off some of the areas that may have been a sticking point fore the Perth bid to accept. It could still go either way.

Last edited:
So his tax break idea didnt come off so now Vlandys wants to give a PNG side salary cap concessions. Donkey what do you think about that? lol
I wish V'landys and Albo would stop f**king around with talk about a PNG team.

I'm at the point of phoning up my local Labor MPs at state and federal level to tell them if Albo goes through with this proposal then I'll preference Labor last on every ballot I fill in until my death.

No Im just not as biased as you and therefore not reading his comments into being something they are not. I can get behind a Pirates or Bears team in Perth.
I get it, you are desperate to see your club back in NRL. We all get that. But Vlandys, for the first time has in no uncertain terms said Perth does not have to adopt the Bears to be a NRL club. Theres no other way of saying it.

You or I have no idea what the Perth bid + WA govt offer looks like from a funding and resources point of view. Im guessing Vlandys now does and thats why he has toned down the Bears rhetoric. Of course there is some 'sensible' benefits to a partnership, but its not critical. The bloke running the show just said it himself.

From your point of view this could be a good or bad thing. on one hand it might bolster the Perth Bid's believe they can go it alone, on the other it might make the Bears be less secure and back off some of the areas that may have been a sticking point fore the Perth bid to accept. It could still go either way.
I can easily answer this bid and government dribble. Governments change. Bid people come and go.

This rugby league entity has existed since 1908 and has had a continued on-going commitment to come back into the NRL regardless of who is in charge since 2003.

Now whether you want to split words like not critical and sensible like some sort of detective is your prerogative. But PVL didn’t have to go into detail of what Bears offer (when he wasn’t even asked) like he did. Comments which like many previous relevant items have once again have been completely side stepped by the team-Perth stand aloners. You put all this faith into a business man like Cumins yet don’t understand or know the basic business plan he even has.

Playing the peacekeeper and keeping everyone on side like PVL is obviously doing is one of the main roles of being a chairman. But so is being decisive and highlighting benefits for potential upcoming decisions and flagging those benefits as reasons to why those decisions will be made.

You can read into it however you want. But anyone who has been involved in business long enough understands what’s going on in relation to his choosing of words and sequencing of the way he is answering questions.

Pippen94

First Grade
"All the bids are fantastic, it goes to show you how the game is going at the moment. The premier of Perth, I'm taking out an AVO on him," he added jokingly. "He rings me every day asking about a Perth team.

"There's no more passionate supporter than the Premier of Western Australia. Their bid is looking very, very good and maybe PNG isn't the one that's first."

Wow !

So good, they need to saddle up with the north Sydney.

Vlandys is meeting today with the feds.

Pippen94

First Grade
I can easily answer this bid and government dribble. Governments change. Bid people come and go.

This rugby league entity has existed since 1908 and has had a continued on-going commitment to come back into the NRL regardless of who is in charge since 2003.

Now whether you want to split words like not critical and sensible like some sort of detective is your prerogative. But PVL didn’t have to go into detail of what Bears offer (when he wasn’t even asked) like he did. Comments which like many previous relevant items have once again have been completely side stepped by the team-Perth stand aloners. You put all this faith into a business man like Cumins yet don’t understand or know the basic business plan he even has.

Playing the peacekeeper and keeping everyone on side like PVL is obviously doing is one of the main roles of being a chairman. But so is being decisive and highlighting benefits for potential upcoming decisions and flagging those benefits as reasons to why those decisions will be made.

You can read into it however you want. But anyone who has been involved in business long enough understands what’s going on in relation to his choosing of words and sequencing of the way he is answering questions.

..he has meeting with feds & wants them to think he has other offers.

Centy Coast

Juniors
You've already admitted you don't know how the funding works. You’re not some beacon of knowledge anyone here will bow too.
I sure as heck know that you know sfa, I just like to keep people informed, and I will ask the people in the main places.
Funny how nobody is mentioning todays V’Landys interview on how he may take an avo out in the Perth Premier because of his constant phone calls, how the Bears are the best fit for Perth and that PNG are not guaranteed the 18th position, but don’t worry I am no beacon of knowledge so don’t ask me what platform the interview was on.

Pippen94

First Grade
I sure as heck know that you know sfa, I just like to keep people informed, and I will ask the people in the main places.
Funny how nobody is mentioning todays V’Landys interview on how he may take an avo out in the Perth Premier, how the Bears are the best fit for Perth and that PNG are not guaranteed the 18th position, but don’t worry I am no beacon of knowledge so don’t ask me what platform the interview was on.

It's on facebook

I hope the bears people involved in the bid arnt this arrogant, otherwise it will be state cup for years to come
Oh Bullwinkle - I think Perth Red can at least be somewhat reasoned with when he has taken his morning tablets and the jargon is broken down nice and slowly with plenty of space between words. You I’m not so sure of.

Bless your cotton socks fella.

Bukowski

Bench
Funny how nobody is mentioning todays V’Landys interview on how he may take an avo out in the Perth Premier, how the Bears are the best fit for Perth and that PNG are not guaranteed the 18th position, but don’t worry I am no beacon of knowledge so don’t ask me what platform the interview was on.
All three of those things have been mentioned.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBf you did claim that NSW cup clubs pay NRL clubs to be their feeders. In the Bears case that hasnt been the case since 2017 when they paid Souths a nominal $10k towards player wages. Every year since there has been no payment, or the NRL club has paid them.

If, and probably when, reserve grade comes in NSW cup will be relegated to a purely amateur comp anyway.

Last edited:
Warriors are different as they run their own teams.

They normally fly out the morning of the game.

So that allows their part time players to complete work or study for the week then pay games and train around that.

Perth to Sydney you'd have to leave the Friday for a Sat game and get back Sunday, Not ideal for players who are juggling work around it.

Having full timers do the trip isn't as bad because it is their job and the club would make training arrangements Etc around that
I get there’s a few differences, but are they really enough to be deal breakers?

Flight times into Sydney from either Auckland or Perth are pretty similar (albeit very different on the return legs) and time diff is the same (albeit in reverse).

For part timers working around Mon-Fri commitments – the Warriors boys gain 2hrs heading over which makes flying the morning-of doable, but they also lose 2hrs on the leg back which means getting home very late, and that would especially suck after a Sun arvo game.

I know the Syd ->Per flight is a long grind, but with all the extra hassle for international flights compared to domestic hops, I’m guessing(?) the overall time away for either team wouldn’t be much different.

Maybe cost considerations are completely different and if so, fair enough. But logistically at least, feels like a Perth based Cup team would be no worse off than an Auckland one.

Vlad59

Bench
TBf you did claim that NSW cup clubs pay NRL clubs to be their feeders. In the Bears case that hasnt been the case since 2017 when they paid Souths $10k. Every year since there has been no payment, or the NRL club has paid them.

If, and probably when, reserve grade comes in NSW cup will be relegated to a purely amateur comp anyway.
You need to go to a private room and relieve yourself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get there’s a few differences, but are they really enough to be deal breakers?

Flight times into Sydney from either Auckland or Perth are pretty similar (albeit very different on the return legs) and time diff is the same (albeit in reverse).

For part timers working around Mon-Fri commitments – the Warriors boys gain 2hrs heading over which makes flying the morning-of doable, but they also lose 2hrs on the leg back which means getting home very late, and that would especially suck after a Sun arvo game.

I know the Syd ->Per flight is a long grind, but with all the extra hassle for international flights compared to domestic hops, I’m guessing(?) the overall time away for either team wouldn’t be much different.

Maybe cost considerations are completely different and if so, fair enough. But logistically at least, feels like a Perth based Cup team would be no worse off than an Auckland one.
Price difference is negligible. $500 Auckland to Sydney v $630 Perth to Sydney.
Yeh check in time obviously lot quicker for Perth. Its about 1hr extra flight time for Perth.

The main thing is players relocation. Will players from the East coast be willing to move to perth to play in NSw cup team? Im guessing players move from other parts of NZ to play for Warriors?
Id suggest with the opportunity to be in NRL and if the club is well run they will. Geez if they are tradies they will earn a mint anyway not playing!

So yep no reason a Perth club cant be running a NSW cup side out of Perth. Will save players having to be called up at short notice and travelling from Sydney to Perth to then travel back to Sydney with the first team for the game.

Centy Coast

Juniors
TBf you did claim that NSW cup clubs pay NRL clubs to be their feeders. In the Bears case that hasnt been the case since 2017 when they paid Souths a nominal $10k towards player wages. Every year since there has been no payment, or the NRL club has paid them.

Wyong broke ties with the Roosters because of the expenses involved, what the Bears were paying the Rabbitohs was ridiculous, I have no idea about recent deals between the Bears and Roosters or Storm.
Unfortunately both Newtown and Blacktown play on Sunday so I can’t find out about their deals with Cronulla and Manly respectively.
I will do doubt find out 2morro but I will probably be asked for proof or be called a liar so I don’t see the point.

Iamback

Coach

I wouldn't rule anything out, Is all about to make the side better so they are mid table not bottom table.

Cost is a big one. I can get on a flight to Perth today and get back tomorrow for $700

the same dates to Auckland is $440

Also player availability. The majority of the fringe guys very likely will come from NSW or QLD. You will struggle to recruit part timers to move for shorter term deals given the logistics of setting up

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wyong broke ties with the Roosters because of the expenses involved, what the Bears were paying the Rabbitohs was ridiculous, I have no idea about recent deals between the Bears and Roosters or Storm.
Unfortunately both Newtown and Blacktown play on Sunday so I can’t find out about their deals with Cronulla and Manly respectively.
I will do doubt find out 2morro but I will probably be asked for proof or be called a liar so I don’t see the point.
Was that genera expenses to run a NSW cup side or payments to roosters though? As said Roosters paid Bears $30k a year.
It was only $10k a year to Souths for player wages according to Bears financial reports.
Cant see anything in Blacktown financials suggesting they are paying anything. Newtown (2021) financial report has no mention of payment either.