What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Bukowski

Bench
I wouldn't rule anything out, Is all about to make the side better so they are mid table not bottom table.

Cost is a big one. I can get on a flight to Perth today and get back tomorrow for $700

the same dates to Auckland is $440

Also player availability. The majority of the fringe guys very likely will come from NSW or QLD. You will struggle to recruit part timers to move for shorter term deals given the logistics of setting up
If they start with perth pathways now then in 6 years time you more than likely will have local part timers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't rule anything out, Is all about to make the side better so they are mid table not bottom table.

Cost is a big one. I can get on a flight to Perth today and get back tomorrow for $700

the same dates to Auckland is $440

Also player availability. The majority of the fringe guys very likely will come from NSW or QLD. You will struggle to recruit part timers to move for shorter term deals given the logistics of setting up
no one is booking flights on the day for a whole team lol. The price difference is around $130 return if booked in advance.

The last point is a fair one but I guess that will depend on how keen for a shot at NRl they are and whht Perth can offer them. If it is accommodation and a guaranteed job then I reckon a lot of guys would be quite happy to move to perth for a while to enjoy our beautiful weather and lifestyle with the bonus of a NRL place possibility. Add in the fact that eventually at least half the side will be from WA and its very doable.

Theres been about 40 young men move from Perth to play in NSW and Qlnd cup over last few years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the Perth bid is strong enough to stand alone then bring in the Pirates and fast track Bears into Adelaide where there is no backing. You could then have Perth, Adelaide and Christchurch in the comp within ten years. Now that would be a legacy for Vlandys to leave behind. A national comp with a strong NZ.

Pippen94

First Grade
If the Perth bid is strong enough to stand alone then bring in the Pirates and fast track Bears into Adelaide where there is no backing. You could then have Perth, Adelaide and Christchurch in the comp within ten years. Now that would be a legacy for Vlandys to leave behind. A national comp with a strong NZ.

It isn't, hence Vlandys wanting Perth bears & even that is behind a PNG team housed in a compound.

Add in the fact that eventually at least half the side will be from WA and its very doable.

Theres been about 40 young men move from Perth to play in NSW and Qlnd cup over last few years.
Fact is it. Storm for all their success since 1998 is
littered with Victorians through the grades aren’t they?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fact is it. Storm for all their success since 1998 is
littered with Victorians through the grades aren’t they?
Perth isnt Melbourne. .
Its only the last couple of years Storm have shown any interest in local development. And within a short space of time they have now got HM, SG, Flegg and seeing Vic jnrs coming through.
perth will be set up for this from day1, not waiting 25 years to start it. There already more WA players in NSW and Qlnd cup than Vic ones, without a club.

Pippen94

First Grade
Perth isnt Melbourne. .
Its only the last couple of years Storm have shown any interest in local development. And within a short space of time they have now got HM, SG, Flegg and seeing Vic jnrs coming through.
perth will be set up for this from day1, not waiting 25 years to start it. There already more WA players in NSW and Qlnd cup than Vic ones, without a club.

Perth is great. That's why it needs a former NRL club to sure up bid.

Wb1234

Immortal
I get there’s a few differences, but are they really enough to be deal breakers?

Flight times into Sydney from either Auckland or Perth are pretty similar (albeit very different on the return legs) and time diff is the same (albeit in reverse).

For part timers working around Mon-Fri commitments – the Warriors boys gain 2hrs heading over which makes flying the morning-of doable, but they also lose 2hrs on the leg back which means getting home very late, and that would especially suck after a Sun arvo game.

I know the Syd ->Per flight is a long grind, but with all the extra hassle for international flights compared to domestic hops, I’m guessing(?) the overall time away for either team wouldn’t be much different.

Maybe cost considerations are completely different and if so, fair enough. But logistically at least, feels like a Perth based Cup team would be no worse off than an Auckland one.
You need to keep in mind much of the comment on this thread is hyperbole or made up scenarios that will never happen

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
AFL Red spouting about juniors. This is the same nimrod that says juniors don't matter because they don't play for their local club anyway.

This zonk is tieing himself up with his own stupidity

Perth isnt Melbourne. .
Exactly only last couple of years - only took 20-22 years to do so. Geez Warriors have only just introduced HM and SG Ball sides last 2 years. Let that sink in for a minute.

But you’re right Perth will be set up from day 1 with Bears there. No chance of setting up these grades or programs without them. So here we are back at the resources argument which I keep banging on about.

Phins had all their established foundation built off 90 previous years. Titans had a neglected rugby league heartland and 2 Q Cup clubs directly in their catchment. New Zealand had a whole nation. Storm has some of the best recruiters and a considerable amount of success. Their first junior grade teams came to fruition in 2019.

I’m not sure how Perth which doesn’t have any of the positives each of the 4 have - suddenly come out guns blazing without pre existing assistance

Hence, Bears. There’s your resources - financial sustainability for the long term and rugby league crop for both immediate and long term.

Conversation wise we are right back where we were a week ago.