What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
Without Australian govt handouts, the Hunters don't exist.

Same goes for Fiji in Super Rugby. There will always be funding for that level in the Pacific

Hell Perth is being handled by the govt. if you take government funding out entirely sport in this country would look very different.

A difference between assisting with travel and underwriting a $20m a year franchise

Canard

Immortal
A difference between assisting with travel and underwriting a $20m a year franchise
The NRL isn't some 10 week half arsed competition like Super Rugby though.

It's going to require much more capital to run a team in the best Rugby competition in the world for around 28 weeks a season.

Any team that relies solely on taxpayer handouts will be in danger of going arse up at any time.

Unlike you, I'm hugely concerned with our game being left with a ticking time bomb and being a puppet of the political class.

MugaB

Coach
yep I think it will keep them all very happy. They are all making a profit now off the back of the last expansion pay off, add in another $2mill and I'd be happy if I was a club owner! PNG making it or not wouldnt matter to clubs, in fact theyd probably be seeing it as an easy 2 points.

The states are going to court over money, again a bit of a backhander is all they care about.

I mean if you are talking business case how could it possible stack up as a stand alone? Only way I can see it does is if
1. The stadium gets massive upgrades
2. Theres confidence there are 20k fans who can pay NRL prices for tickets and merch in port Moresby
3. Theres a big enough sponsorship portfolio to hit NRL level revenue in corporate box sales and sponsorships

Maybe that is all there, but its seems highly doubtful in a developing nation wouldn't you say?
Now your getting it, so what exactly is Perth going to deliver? They can't offer a 2mill bribe per club, you need to keep with this train of thought... I told you all this years ago, png will get the next one purely on the basis of club greed, if you want to predict the expansion prospects, you need to think as an NRL club ceo, ... ala "whats in it for me, Why are you the best candidate", there's zero carrots in Perth, unless you think tinkler will fund a jet plane for the NRL to use as they wish

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
They already did in 2010.

Learn some RL history.
That wasn't due to failing or lack of talent, which I think he is getting at, that was a salary cap breach, I'm not sure anyone who thinks the storm failing is trustworthy... they are representing a market of 8 million, just in Victoria, they need to be strong and stay that way, not to say we bend rules or anything on field, but until there is more teams there or RL becomes more than Nichè, the storm should be praised as one of RLs best achievements especially since its the AFLs largest base heartland

Centy Coast

Juniors
The only worry I have with rugby league getting a foothold in W.A. is the schools, in NSW and QLD every kid would be kicking a steeden around, and you would play league for your school.
In WA I would assume most kids would surely be kicking around a sherrin and you would play AFL for your school.
How is rugby league accepted in schools in W.A., are the kids who play it treated like outcasts or classed differently to the AFL kids like the AFL kids are over here on the East Coast ?.
Is this the main reason it has taken the Melbourne Storm so long to create their pathways ?.
Aside from the Polynesians do all of the talented kids play AFL as that is the States favoured Code ?.

Wb1234

Referee
The only worry I have with rugby league getting a foothold in W.A. is the schools, in NSW and QLD every kid would be kicking a steeden around, and you would play league for your school.
In WA I would assume most kids would surely be kicking around a sherrin and you would play AFL for your school.
How is rugby league accepted in schools in W.A., are the kids who play it treated like outcasts or classed differently to the AFL kids like the AFL kids are over here on the East Coast ?.
Is this the main reason it has taken the Melbourne Storm so long to create their pathways ?.
Aside from the Polynesians do all of the talented kids play AFL as that is the States favoured Code ?.
The Perth zealots will count one wa nrl player as the equivalent of 100 players from either nsw or qld

in Victoria and wa we are poaching the dregs of talent whereas everywhere else we get the elite

These people are ashamed of our heartlands and are desperate to turn the nrl into an afl lite competition

Iamback

Coach

That is where the govt involvement needs to come in. It isn't cash outside of a CoE it is getting the sport into schools

NRLMad

Juniors
The talk from the NRL has been biggest sport in the Pacific, Adelaide doesn't need to be there for that. NZ 2 is needed though.
That’s the point, when they can do this and they are paying the most they will get all of the Islanders too join the NRL which leads to battle internationals and more money so doesn’t need to come from PNG directly. Every individual commitment doesn’t need to lead to profit.