What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Yes I can actually play an instrument but again whether or not I or you can play a musical instrument is the biggest irrelevant counter argument I can think of because it doesn’t excuse for you listening to John Williamson.

Also this award thing is again a massive contradiction. Haven’t you been telling us all along that the ‘mainstream’ or the ‘status quo’ are all wrong and that you are a member of some sort of critical vanguard who knows better than everybody else - like a pompous git. Now you are telling me that recognition from said ‘mainstream’ is all important. Why am I meant to be impressed by the fact that he has some local country music awards (which again is a music form that I despise) when I could probably find that the Beatles or other multiple bands/artists that you have slagged have a s*** tonne more recognition and awards and they are international. Nobody listens to John Williamson outside of a few people in this country - because he is not any good

Btw this is the same Al Jolson who performed in black face whilst mimicking black artists yeah. Nothing racist in that.
You said John Williamson isn't mainstream. He has won the highest calibre of awards in Australia. He was also given an OAM in 1992 you dope. That's about as mainstream as it gets.

I said Yankee doodle artists get more exposure than their contemporaries from Europe due to American culture being globally dominant. If Elvis, Madonna or any other successful American band were from Latvia and weren't promoted by American record labels then no one in the West would have ever heard of them.

Why do you think gridiron has a larger presence around the world than rugby league?

Blackface wasn't considered racist when Al Jolson performed you dumbarse. You cannot judge past eras by modern day standards that didn't exist until a few years ago. There are people alive today who are guilty of doing things in the past that wouldn't be accepted in 2024. Justin Trudeau is a classic example. He wore blackface on numerous occasions when he was young. It wasn't considered racist back then.

Colk

First Grade
On the one hand you say Eddie Murphy was funny. On the other hand you say you don't like profanity and caricatures.

Guess what motherf**ker, Eddie Murphy used profanity and caricatues in his acts!

See for yourself dickhead.

You really need to grow up. I said I prefer comedy to be more than just profanity and caricatures. For example punching down or generalising about a race or whatever becomes cheap after a while. Btw helpful hint you might want to use a different term than motherf***** considering it originated from and was popularised in America. Wouldn’t want you feel any contradiction

When you lose arguments mate just step away. I know you might not have a life outside but don’t waste everybody else’s time. People might want to read about RL expansion on these forums not your s*** tastes.

Iamback

Coach
Good in theory. Stay tigers were going to have Campbelltown as their focus for the future but their still stuck in the inner west. That's what a split board gets you, different goals/ objectives. The fact they want games at NSO shows where the bears heads are.

Yeah but they have been told it is Perth or nothing.

So they want the Bears name and colours in the NRL then Perth should be the focus

You really need to grow up. I said I prefer comedy to be more than just profanity and caricatures. For example punching down or generalising about a race or whatever becomes cheap after a while. Btw helpful hint you might want to use a different term than motherf***** considering it originated from and was popularised in America. Wouldn’t want you feel any contradiction

When you lose arguments mate just step away. I know you might not have a life outside but don’t waste everybody else’s time. People might want to read about RL expansion on these forums not your s*** tastes.
Eddie Murphy was punching down in both of those clips.

You said Eddie Murphy was funny.

Pretty much every routine Eddie Murphy has done involves him making fun of some one.

You contradicted yourself. Now you're trying to shift the goalposts.

You were wrong about Jolson, too.

Colk

First Grade
You said John Williamson isn't mainstream. He has won the highest calibre of awards in Australia. He was also given an OAM in 1992 you dope. That's about as mainstream as it gets.

I said Yankee doodle artists get more exposure than their contemporaries from Europe due to American culture being globally dominant. If Elvis, Madonna or any other successful American band were from Latvia and weren't promoted by American record labels then no one in the West would have ever heard of them.

Why do you think gridiron has a larger presence around the world than rugby league?

Blackface wasn't considered racist when Al Jolson performed you dumbarse. You cannot judge past eras by modern day standards that didn't exist until a few years ago. There are people alive today who are guilty of doing things in the past that wouldn't be accepted in 2024. Justin Trudeau is a classic example. He wore blackface on numerous occasions when he was young. It wasn't considered racist back then.

1. Keep contradicting yourself mate. He’s not as popular as other artists you’ve bagged because he doesn’t resonate with as much people as others. That’s a fact. I would say that because he’s demonstrably s*** and not because of marketing or whatever crap you want to go on about. More people want to listen to say “A Day in the Life” or a bunch of other songs than “Rip Rip Woodchip” because they are much better than the latter. There’s no grand conspiracy against Mr Williamson. You can chuck a f****** tantrum about it or throw as many as non-sequitors as you want but that’s it. Case closed.

2. There are limitations to that idea as much as you care to admit. Some things I would agree with you but blackface ain’t one.

1. Keep contradicting yourself mate. He’s not as popular as other artists you’ve bagged because he doesn’t resonate with as much people as others. That’s a fact. I would say that because he’s demonstrably s*** and not because of marketing or whatever crap you want to go on about. More people want to listen to say “A Day in the Life” or a bunch of other songs than “Rip Rip Woodchip” because they are much better than the latter. There’s no grand conspiracy against Mr Williamson. You can chuck a f****** tantrum about it or throw as many as non-sequitors as you want but that’s it. Case closed.

2. There are limitations to that idea as much as you care to admit. Some things I would agree with you but blackface ain’t one.
Williamson ain't as popular because country/folk isn't as mainstream in metropolitan Australia as pop/rock.

Denigrating country music because its fanbase is regional and not metropolitan is just as snobby as the union wankers from England who look down on league as a "regional" game. Using your argument, RL is a demonstrably shit game because it's not popular in metropolitan London.

Can you say Jolson wore black paint with the intention of being racist?

If he was an actual racist then he wouldn't have been a civil rights advocate who helped African artists.

If we're going to say it's racist for whites and Jews to wear black paint then I guess it's racist for blacks to wear red lipstick, straighten their hair and colour their hair blonde, yeah?

Colk

First Grade
Eddie Murphy was punching down in both of those clips.

You said Eddie Murphy was funny.

Pretty much every routine Eddie Murphy has done involves him making fun of some one.

You contradicted yourself. Now you're trying to shift the goalposts.

You were wrong about Jolson, too.
Mate you are the master of shifting the goalposts and throwing up non-sequitors or generalisations. You do it every time you post.

Williamson ain't as popular because country/folk isn't as mainstream in metropolitan Australia as pop/rock.

Denigrating country music because its fanbase is regional and not metropolitan is just as snobby as the union wankers from England who look down on league as a "regional" game.
Using your argument, RL is a demonstrably shit game because it's not popular in metropolitan London.

Can you say Jolson wore black paint with the intention of being racist?

If he was an actual racist then he wouldn't have been a civil rights advocate who helped African artists.

If we're going to say it's racist for whites and Jews to wear black paint then I guess it's racist for blacks to wear red lipstick, straighten their hair and colour their hair blonde, yeah?

1. Case in point.
2. Another case in point

Vlad59

Bench
It’s f****** ridiculous isn’t. The bloke derails every thread with some batshit crazy idea. He says some massive generalisation about a country and then can’t comprehend that somebody doesn’t like John Williamson. Completely unhinged.
I’ve never seen anybody write so much bullshit in all my 24000 days on this planet. He is off his tree.

Vlad59

Bench
Therein ends the discussion. I can just imagine the scene: him sitting next to somebody going ‘but you just don’t get it. You’ve got to listen to what he is really singing about” and the bloke sitting next to him trying to get his mate’s attention.
But this is the man who wrote

‘True Blue, is it me and you
Is it Mum and Dad, is it a cockatoo
Is it standin' by your mate when he's in a fight
Or just Vegemi-ite
True Blue, I'm a-asking you’

Cockatoo and Vegemite in one verse. Think about that. :)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
But this is the man who wrote

‘True Blue, is it me and you
Is it Mum and Dad, is it a cockatoo
Is it standin' by your mate when he's in a fight
Or just Vegemi-ite
True Blue, I'm a-asking you’

Cockatoo and Vegemite in one verse. Think about that. :)
What about this classic:

It was before the dollar - and before the pill
I went to this rock dance - in Swan Hill
I arrived in me E.K. - hair slicked back
And I saw this sheila in tangerine socks - hair pitch black
And she walked right by me
And she said, you wanna boogie with m' baby
You wanna move with m' baby, you wanna groove with m' baby
Well I strolled across the dance floor - loves fool
And I looked her right in the eye - real cool
And I said nuffin'
She said, you wanna boogie with m' baby