What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

You're way off target there.

The Beatles were a hard-working rock'n''roll band plying their trade in the rough nightclubs of Hamburg before Brian Epstein stumbled across them, packaged them in suits, and marketed them to a (largely) female audience.

Even then, they only stayed on that course for a few years (Say, 1962-1965) before their musical curiosity, talent & drug intake steered them away from that teenybopper scene.

The Monkees were a manufactured band, sure - but 2 of their members (Michael Nesmith & Peter Tork) were established members of the LA folk scene, Nesmith even served as "Hootmaster" at the Troubador club.

Again, a group that bristled at the teenybopper direction they were set-up with, after a few years - and ended up creating some interesting work after the first couple of albums as Nesmith moved towards pioneering Country-rock (his first few solo albums after the Monkees are some of the best country rock of the early 1970s, if not all time) & Micky Dolenz brought in influences from his counter-culture buddies.

Case in point, this eye-opening track from Mickey, recorded after Peter had left the band.

They're only remembered for their work as the teeny bopper marketed Beatles and Monkees. Sadly, that's what the music industry is about. Whoever is marketed the most gets the fame.

It's similar to the fast food industry versus gourmet restaurant food. Everyone knows Macca's and has tried it because the company is advertised everywhere and there's a store on every street corner. The food is still shit, but people become addicted to it.

flippikat

First Grade
They're only remembered for their work as the teeny bopper marketed Beatles and Monkees. Sadly, that's what the music industry is about. Whoever is marketed the most gets the fame.

It's similar to the fast food industry versus gourmet restaurant food. Everyone knows Macca's and has tried it because the company is advertised everywhere and there's a store on every street corner. The food is still shit, but people become addicted to it.
Monkees, yeah - though Michael does actually get credit for inventing the concept that became MTV - and as a country-rock pioneer in musician/music collector circles.

Beatles decidedly not - I'd argue that their post-1966 work gets a lot more play & recognition now than their early tunes.

You seriously don't know what you're talking about, and you're way off topic too.

Wb1234

Immortal
Perth should sack up and refuse if PVL and his yes men insist on forcing them to "merge" with the Bears.

A merger with the Bears will be a WA side in name only that destroys any hope of a genuine WA side joining in the future, so Perth have got nothing to lose by playing hardball and demanding a standalone team. If the NRL agrees then they get the genuine WA side like they should have had in the first place, if the NRL refuses to budge then Perth are no worse off than they are now and can continue to keep bidding for their own side. Refusing the Bears also has the added bonus of forcing the NRL to redraft their expansion plans if they're going to hit their target of 20 teams.

Agreeing to a negative situation out of desperation is always a mistake in the long term.
Hahhahaa

yet again you was wrong

bears are back baby!

Iamback

Coach
The big problem they face is the chance Perth people will see it as a Sydney team and norths fans see it as a Perth club. Especially if they are struggling early on.
It's a forced merger, I can see troubles but I'm happy I'll be getting regular games to watch.

If you have players hitting schools and stuff now as Perth. The kids won't grow up knowing any different, That is what the side looks to be doing. Having some old guys in Sydney fill the void until the side gets a hold over there.

mongoose

Coach
Haha is that the best you come up with?

Remember this all started with you saying this kind of stuff

Most Westerners blindly follow American culture. Many of the posters on here quote The Simpsons and Seinfeld because it's all they know.

Most of them are popular not because of their music, but because they're sexualised by the record companies and pushed down the throats of teeny boppers. Taylor Swift cannot sing for shit and her songs are boring, yet the teeny boppers cannot get enough of the drip because the media has shoved her down everyone's throat. There are truly skilled artists from continental Europe that most Australians have never heard of because the media in this country only promotes Yankee shit

Those above posts imply a feeling of I know better than most people (i.e. being a sanctimonious wanker - which you are now calling me because I hurt your precious feelings/don’t like the same things as you). Get over yourself and allow people to follow whatever they want.
the only thing worse than Donkey's expansion opinions is his taste in music and TV shows.

Colk

First Grade
You don't have a f**ken clue.

The record labels don't promote artists based on their talent. They take the ones they think can be marketed as sex symbols, put them in overly sexualised music videos, have them shake their arse and tits, then put it on MTV for teeny poppers to gawk over. Meanwhile, the truly talented artists who aren't marketed like this are ignored and never get to have their music played on the radio.

If you think Taylor Swift is more talented than John Williamson then you've got some shit taste in music. She is everything I just described. A dumb little bitch who parades around in overly sexualised videos and performances in front of teeny boppers and perverts. She's no different to other hacks like Madonna and Britney Spears who couldn't sing for shit.

Have you noticed that the artists who arr pushed by the record labels are dumb and easily led?

Look at Elvis to see my point. He was a hillbilly who didn't have a clue and died on the dunny. Nothing great about his voice. Most of his songs were shit. But he was handsome and marketed as a star, so women rocked him to see him and scream. The Beatles and The Monkees are another example. A recent example is that shit Pommy band Oasis.

Before Elvis there was a Jew with an awful voice that was the biggest star in the early 20th century. His name was Al Jolson. Go listen to his horrendous voice on YouTube.

Do you think people were there to listen to his fart-pitched vocals?

I have no doubt that if Taylor Swift was a Latvian artist then no one would know who she is. That's the point I'vebeen trying to get across. I get sick of seeing American hacks make it while truly talented artists from smaller countries are ignored.

The f**ken Australian media were talking up Taylor Swift as if she was Jesus. There was talk about building an oval stadium in Brisbane just to get her to play. It's insane.

Post translation: Mr music critic here doesn’t like the fact that John Williamson is not listened to by the mainstream.

I tell you why I think Taylor Swift is better than John Williamson - she doesn’t make me want to stab myself in the neck quite as much when I have had the misfortune of being exposed to it. I never said she was good, I just don’t find her as offensive to my ears as John Williamson.

Also well done on the Beatles. That is a f****** hot take and a half. I’m presuming you think more people have listened to ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘A Day in the Life’‘Hey Jude’ or ‘Let it Be ‘ than say ‘True Blue’ because the girls thought Paul was a bit cute back in the day. Not because you know the weakest Beatles song is immeasurably better than John Williamson or what other shit you listen to.

On the Al Jolson point - no shit people were racist back in the day. It seems there are people like you that still are.

At this point, you are just showing you don’t know anything.

Post translation: Mr music critic here doesn’t like the fact that John Williamson is not listened to by the mainstream.

I tell you why I think Taylor Swift is better than John Williamson - she doesn’t make me want to stab myself in the neck quite as much when I have had the misfortune of being exposed to it. I never said she was good, I just don’t find her as offensive to my ears as John Williamson.

Also well done on the Beatles. That is a f****** hot take and a half. I’m presuming you think more people have listened to ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘A Day in the Life’‘Hey Jude’ or ‘Let it Be ‘ than say ‘True Blue’ because the girls thought Paul was a bit cute back in the day. Not because you know the weakest Beatles song is immeasurably better than John Williamson or what other shit you listen to.

On the Al Jolson point - no shit people were racist back in the day. It seems there are people like you that still are.

At this point, you are just showing you don’t know anything.
I didn't say Al Jolson was racist you imbecile. I said he had no talent. He was actually a civil rights advocate.

Jolson was a civil rights advocate, often backing projects by black artists, including playwright Garland Anderson.​

Do you know how to play an instrument?

I can.

You may not think much about John Williamson, but he's rated by those who count. Over his long and decorated career he has won several awards.

• Six Golden Guitar trophies at the Country Music Awards of Australia
  • Three ARIA Music Awards for Best Country Album
  • Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010.

If you're not a fan of his style then fair enough. Each to their own. A lot of people in this country do like his work. He's sold more than 4,000,000 albums in Australia and appeared at the 1989 NSWRL Grand Final.

THE BEST​

5. John Williamson – 1989 NSWRL grand final

In undoubtedly the most controversial grand final entertainment performance of all time, Australian country great John Williamson sung his protest song ‘Rip Rip Woodchip’, which railed against the destruction of forestland. The song was lambasted by loggers and lumberjacks, who accused Williamson of threatening their livelihood. It was a curious choice by the long-conservative, blue-collar NSWRL establishment to have him sing that particular song (‘True Blue’ would have been a safer option) but Williamson took the opportunity and belted out the tune with trademark good cheer.

Eddie Murphy was very funny but so was Dave Chapelle. Anyway I like humour where the protagonist/s aren’t caricatures and have an element of universality. With that you can talk about the imperfections of being human i.e. not punching down because of some rather inane caricature or stereotype of a person or group. The latter isn’t interesting to me but the former is. Housos draw too much on stereotypes to be really clever.

On the one hand you say Eddie Murphy was funny. On the other hand you say you don't like profanity and caricatures.

Guess what motherf**ker, Eddie Murphy used profanity and caricatues in his acts!

See for yourself dickhead.

Last edited:
Perth red maximis and bukowski spent pages and pages saying Perth will be going it alone and the Perth govt will be picking the winning bidder

now for some reason they have disappeared off the face of the earth
I can understand V'landys wanting Perth to link up with an existing brand. I just hope he doesn't f**k it up by having the team play home games in Sydney. The Swans and Lions don't take home games to Melbourne.

Colk

First Grade
I didn't say Al Jolson was racist you imbecile. I said he had no talent. He was actually a civil rights advocate.

Jolson was a civil rights advocate, often backing projects by black artists, including playwright Garland Anderson.​

Do you know how to play an instrument?

I can.

You may not think much about John Williamson, but he's rated by those who count. Over his long and decorated career he has won several awards.

• Six Golden Guitar trophies at the Country Music Awards of Australia
  • Three ARIA Music Awards for Best Country Album
  • Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010.

If you're not a fan of his style then faie enough. Each to their own. A lot of people in this country do like his work. He's sold more than 4,000,000 albums in Australia and appeared at the 1989 NSWRL Grand Final.

THE BEST​

5. John Williamson – 1989 NSWRL grand final​
In undoubtedly the most controversial grand final entertainment performance of all time, Australian country great John Williamson sung his protest song ‘Rip Rip Woodchip’, which railed against the destruction of forestland. The song was lambasted by loggers and lumberjacks, who accused Williamson of threatening their livelihood. It was a curious choice by the long-conservative, blue-collar NSWRL establishment to have him sing that particular song (‘True Blue’ would have been a safer option) but Williamson took the opportunity and belted out the tune with trademark good cheer.​

Yes I can actually play an instrument but again whether or not I or you can play a musical instrument is the biggest irrelevant counter argument I can think of because it doesn’t excuse for you listening to John Williamson.

Also this award thing is again a massive contradiction. Haven’t you been telling us all along that the ‘mainstream’ or the ‘status quo’ are all wrong and that you are a member of some sort of critical vanguard who knows better than everybody else - like a pompous git. Now you are telling me that recognition from said ‘mainstream’ is all important. Why am I meant to be impressed by the fact that he has some local country music awards (which again is a music form that I despise) when I could probably find that the Beatles or other multiple bands/artists that you have slagged have a s*** tonne more recognition and awards and they are international. Nobody listens to John Williamson outside of a few people in this country - because he is not any good

Btw this is the same Al Jolson who performed in black face whilst mimicking black artists yeah. Nothing racist in that.

Bukowski

Bench
If you have players hitting schools and stuff now as Perth. The kids won't grow up knowing any different, That is what the side looks to be doing. Having some old guys in Sydney fill the void until the side gets a hold over there.
Good in theory. Stay tigers were going to have Campbelltown as their focus for the future but their still stuck in the inner west. That's what a split board gets you, different goals/ objectives. The fact they want games at NSO shows where the bears heads are.