What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Gobsmacked

Bench
Sadly our premier has announced his retirement. It'll be so Rugba league if we've now missed the amazing opportunity we had to grow the game in WA by delaying Perth's admission..

I told you that there's no government you can trust in business- it doesn't effect the Perth bid 1 bit.
The NRL were never going to move a toe nail based on a weak promise from a politician in WA . Just got f**ked over by a state government that has 10 teams in it ! You think the word of a state with none helps?
Come back to earth.

greenBV4

Bench
Sadly our premier has announced his retirement. It'll be so Rugba league if we've now missed the amazing opportunity we had to grow the game in WA by delaying Perth's admission..

this ones a better read

but yeah, hopefully he wasn't the only one keen on NRL in government (I doubt he was) and whoever steps up continues on with the bid (I'm sure they will)

Colk

First Grade
Ipswich confirmed

Sure thing Ignatius.

I wouldn’t be surprised by anything that the NRL decides to do because essentially there are what five options openly canvassed and discussed atm. I will say that another Queensland team would be an awful decision but meh.

Pippen94

First Grade
Sure thing Ignatius.

I wouldn’t be surprised by anything that the NRL decides to do because essentially there are what five options openly canvassed and discussed atm. I will say that another Queensland team would be an awful decision but meh.

Whoa, a 5th qld is inevitable & not awful at all. Talk about melodramatic

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

this ones a better read

but yeah, hopefully he wasn't the only one keen on NRL in government (I doubt he was) and whoever steps up continues on with the bid (I'm sure they will)
In economics it`s called the `multiplier effect`, you`re probably familiar with it.
What with setting up an NRL club and all the extra employment (i.e wages) and NRL investment that will be generated and injected into that state by the time it works its` way through the economy it will be of several multiples of the initial outlay. For example a $30m injection could easily be worth nearly $100m, and that`s every year. Why wouldn`t you want a large sporting organisation like the NRL setting up a team in your state.

Colk

First Grade
Whoa, a 5th qld is inevitable & not awful at all. Talk about melodramatic

You obviously don’t know what melodramatic means but anyway.

Adding a fifth side as the next side essentially would be a dumb decision from a logical standpoint. For example this is the reasoning made by the Brisbane Tigers bid: we shouldn’t expand to new markets like fumbleball because it doesn’t work; yet, we need to ward off that same sport that has because if we don’t then they will take over. Try to pick the logic out from that argument, if you can.

A second Brisbane team made sense for obvious reasons - creating a rivalry and creating an option for people who don’t support the Broncos. A third side straight away doesn’t add anything that the second team hasn’t already added. In ten years time, for example, after the Dolphins have got a steady popular audience, it might make sense.

By the way, even if the next side were Brisbane or QLD and it were inevitable, that doesn’t make it a good decision (at all). That is unless you just agree with everything that people in power or authority decide to do.

Gobsmacked

Bench
You obviously don’t know what melodramatic means but anyway.

Adding a fifth side as the next side essentially would be a dumb decision from a logical standpoint. For example this is the reasoning made by the Brisbane Tigers bid: we shouldn’t expand to new markets like fumbleball because it doesn’t work; yet, we need to ward off that same sport that has because if we don’t then they will take over. Try to pick the logic out from that argument, if you can.

A second Brisbane team made sense for obvious reasons - creating a rivalry and creating an option for people who don’t support the Broncos. A third side straight away doesn’t add anything that the second team hasn’t already added. In ten years time, for example, after the Dolphins have got a steady popular audience, it might make sense.

By the way, even if the next side were Brisbane or QLD and it were inevitable, that doesn’t make it a good decision (at all). That is unless you just agree with everything that people in power or authority decide to do.
We don't need another Brisbane team period. Won't add a thing. Cost, yes it'll cost. Second worst idea behind Pasifika 🤦‍♂️
Anyone and everyone is putting their hand up but there's only 2 genuine contenders, Perth and New Zealand .

Colk

First Grade
We don't need another Brisbane team period. Won't add a thing. Cost, yes it'll cost. Second worst idea behind Pasifika 🤦‍♂️
Anyone and everyone is putting their hand up but there's only 2 genuine contenders, Perth and New Zealand .

I agree with pretty much all of that. You would want to at least wait a while to see how it goes in QLD before you ever commit another side there. You don’t want to saturate the market like we have with NSW.

I’m not certain that they will pick either Perth or NZ 2 but they should definitely be in the next three but I wouldn’t be surprised either if they don’t.

Wb1234

Referee
Bidders would pop-up in NZ if the NRL were to make a declarative statement about their intent to expand in NZ. Who knows what the quality of those bids would be like, but there'd be people in NZ interested if they thought the the NRL was genuine about expanding in NZ.

The NRL wouldn't necessarily need bidders and private owners to expand in NZ anyway. They could make it happen themselves if they really wanted it to happen.

I've warmed considerably to the idea of another NZ team sooner rather than later. It just seems like the NRL and Warriors are hotter in NZ at the moment than they have been for a very long time, and that it'd probably be a good idea to strike while the iron is hot. The NRL announcing that the 18th team will be in NZ sometime within the next year could help keep that hype train going, and give the sport a much needed boost in NZ.
A positive post about rugby league

you having a good day or something

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I look at the ratings and why is it the fumbleball loins consistently outrate and sometimes get some quite decent numbers compared to the swans. Is that because Sydney has enough teams to satisfy its` sport watching public whereas for too long Brisbane has only had one. Either way there has to be an explanation why that is so and I`m not convinced that what I said above isn`t the reason.
I`m not suggesting 9 teams in Brissy of course, but on the other hand I still think there may still be too much vacant real estate for the southern interloper even with the entrance of the Dolphins.
No need to panic but I wouldn`t leave it too long for that club (the loins) to become too embedded or at least any more embedded. Perth, Brissy3, N.Z. or Brissy3, Perth ,N.Z.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Think he was a league fan originally so if true then him resigning isn’t good for them because in most liklihood and afl stooge takes over
Not that we should in any god dam way be reliant on the revolving door of state government..! But usually the new guy wants to create thier own brand so to speak, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them walk back the support.
We relied on the NSW government for new stadia.... we relied on French government for our world cup....
Oh please let's rely on the WA government.. what could possibly go wrong....

If it's Perth, so be it but I swear we shouldn't be basing that choice for even 1% on government!

Colk

First Grade
I look at the ratings and why is it the fumbleball loins consistently outrate and sometimes get some quite decent numbers compared to the swans. Is that because Sydney has enough teams to satisfy its` sport watching public whereas for too long Brisbane has only had one. Either way there has to be an explanation why that is so and I`m not convinced that what I said above isn`t the reason.
I`m not suggesting 9 teams in Brissy of course, but on the other hand I still think there may still be too much vacant real estate for the southern interloper even with the entrance of the Dolphins.
No need to panic but I wouldn`t leave it too long for that club (the loins) to become too embedded or at least any more embedded. Perth, Brissy3, N.Z. or Brissy3, Perth ,N.Z.

I think there is a fair number of Victorian emigrants to QLD.

Emigration is a big thing here. It’s why, to some degree, the sport shouldn’t itself be bound by this idea of remaining only in NSW/QLD. That and people are also a lot more liberal in their viewing habits - they are quite willing to switch viewership based on the game itself, what they are betting on etc.