What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
Okay, but the vast majority of that 100k would be unique viewers, where the vast majority of the audience for a third Brisbane side would not.

Unique viewers are more valuable than aggregate audience, and there's far more potential for growth in Adelaide/SA than in Brisbane/Queensland.

You're effectively trying to maximise sales at the total expense of growing the consumer base, which is not only lazy, but suffers from the law of diminishing returns.

More ppl will watch grand final in NSW & qld if local team appears. Those unique Adelaide viewers don't amount to enough to count

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think that`s the beauty of the Dolphins, it would seem that we can take it as a given what with the wealth of the club and its` potential geographic spread that it`s not going to become another also-ran club. I really don`t think we need to wait ten years to see how they fare.
On the other hand do we spread the goodwill factor of entering a new team from that region, out over a longer period, well that`s another argument.
Just you wait until the novelty effect has worn off, they've missed the finals for a few years in a row, they're moving more and more games from Suncorp to Redcliffe and/or the Sunshine Coast because "it's more economically feasible" and definitely not the plan all along(...), and they're begging the taxpayer to upgrade Dolphin Oval for them.

People forget that all this same stuff was said about the Titans early on, and many other clubs in the past as well, and look how that turned out... Hell I can remember reading multiple articles from the media in Sydney in the offseason of 82/83 that were proclaiming the Steelers a great success with a bright future and the Raiders an abject failure who should be summarily kicked out less they continue to be a blot on the NSW competition's legacy.

Pippen94

First Grade
Just you wait until the novelty effect has worn off, they've missed the finals for a few years in a row, they're moving more and more games from Suncorp to Redcliffe and/or the Sunshine Coast because "it's more economically feasible" and definitely not the plan all along(...), and they're begging the taxpayer to upgrade Dolphin Oval for them.

People forget that all this same stuff was said about the Titans early on, and many other clubs in the past as well, and look how that turned out... Hell I can remember reading multiple articles from the media in Sydney in the offseason of 82/83 that were proclaiming the Steelers a great success with a bright future and the Raiders an abject failure who should be summarily kicked out less they continue to be a blot on the NSW competition's legacy.

I remember u writing that dolphins would be abject failure from get go. See you again in a few years, although age isn't ur friend..

Pippen94

First Grade
Haha you haven’t won a debate yet (at least not with me) You also don’t know who that person is so that’s why it is funny.

Yeah, that's how expression goes about ppl resorting to name calling coz they're winning debate.
U probably win in person arguments by punching ppl too huh?!

Bukowski

Juniors
Yeah but you’re suggesting that only stable and rich owners come from Queensland or New South Wales. Interesting logic.

You’re also the one who keeps pointing at a three year period (which is extremely unlikely to ever be replicated again) as evidence of why the game should never try something again. It’s also an incomplete argument because you are only applying that argument to areas that you don’t want a side in as opposed to areas that you do. For example, I don’t see you using the Crushers death as an argument to not put more sides in Queensland.

Furthermore, the chances of a team financially collapsing now (with the grants that they receive and the money that the game has) is incredibly remote and in comparison to the 90’s when clubs didn’t receive grants, the game didn’t have the money it does now and player payments were out of control, is essentially not even a point or comparison you should be making. It’s redundant. Essentially address the probability as of now, not as it was.

On your point about the Dolphins, I actually suggested a few posts ago that a second side in Brisbane is/was a non brainer. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean you should keep drawing from the same well all the time. The Queensland Rugby League market is not some sort of Russian Doll. It’s pretty simple maths - you will reach a point where you start taking supporters away from existing clubs and making them smaller.
Stop it, he's already dead.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I remember u writing that dolphins would be abject failure from get go. See you again in a few years, although age isn't ur friend..
Always said that whichever side got the second license in Brisbane would be carried by the hype and novelty effect initially.

The fanfare around Redcliffe won't last anymore than the fanfare around any suburban club stuck in the mid 20th century does, except when they're successful on field.

They'll end up as just another Cronulla, Manly, Tigers, etc, unless they make significant changes to the way they go about business, and the more sides the NRL adds to Brisbane the more they'll exacerbate the problem.

Pippen94

First Grade
But that`s the point, they`re already a top three sponsored club in the NRL, $10m +, and what is it? $60m assets, I don`t think the novelty will wear off because they are going to be a perennial top 6 club because of that wealth.

He predicted dolphins would fail even prior to them being selected for expansion. His view is biased. Success of dolphins this year hurts him personally

The Great Dane

First Grade
But that`s the point, they`re already a top three sponsored club in the NRL, $10m +, and what is it? $60m assets, I don`t think the novelty will wear off because they are going to be a perennial top 6 club because of that wealth.
Not in a salary capped competition, unless you're suggesting that they're going to systematically cheat... Merely being amongst the most wealthy hasn't worked for the Broncos, and a few others, either.

Also gambling, the base that their business is built on, is going to be heavily regulated in the coming years and decades, and that's going to have a huge impact on a lot of NRL clubs.

Pippen94

First Grade
Always said that whichever side got the second license in Brisbane would be carried by the hype and novelty effect initially.

The fanfare around Redcliffe won't last anymore than the fanfare around any suburban club stuck in the mid 20th century does, except when they're successful on field.

They'll end up as just another Cronulla, Manly, Tigers, etc, unless they make significant changes to the way they go about business, and the more sides the NRL adds to Brisbane the more they'll exacerbate the problem.

If I could be bothered I'd go back & find ur comments. Not only is the success dolphins great for nrl, it has been total egg on ur face.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Not in a salary capped competition, unless you're suggesting that they're going to systematically cheat... Hasn't worked for the Broncos, and a few others, either.
But being wealthier than other clubs has worked for the Broncos in the past and will work again, because despite the limitations and equalising effect of the cap it is the wealthy clubs who have the money to stockpile the best juniors. Roosters being another example.