What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
You obviously don’t know what melodramatic means but anyway.

Adding a fifth side as the next side essentially would be a dumb decision from a logical standpoint. For example this is the reasoning made by the Brisbane Tigers bid: we shouldn’t expand to new markets like fumbleball because it doesn’t work; yet, we need to ward off that same sport that has because if we don’t then they will take over. Try to pick the logic out from that argument, if you can.

A second Brisbane team made sense for obvious reasons - creating a rivalry and creating an option for people who don’t support the Broncos. A third side straight away doesn’t add anything that the second team hasn’t already added. In ten years time, for example, after the Dolphins have got a steady popular audience, it might make sense.

By the way, even if the next side were Brisbane or QLD and it were inevitable, that doesn’t make it a good decision (at all). That is unless you just agree with everything that people in power or authority decide to do.

If TV paying most for Brisbane it makes sense. Makes game richer.

Certainly, in terms of stability local Brisbane clubs are rich & the fact they survived the disintegration of there league shows they're here to stay. Last time there was a Perth team it folded & new entities like titans needed bailing out.

Dophlins destroyed all argument that market is covered. Focusing on specific region that club is the 2nd highest drawing team in the league & added 20k members without the broncos losing any. Nrl should mine south Brisbane in the same way.

Colk

First Grade
Not that we should in any god dam way be reliant on the revolving door of state government..! But usually the new guy wants to create thier own brand so to speak, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them walk back the support.
We relied on the NSW government for new stadia.... we relied on French government for our world cup....
Oh please let's rely on the WA government.. what could possibly go wrong....

If it's Perth, so be it but I swear we shouldn't be basing that choice for even 1% on government!

Agreed. Never rely on government.

Pippen94

First Grade
I agree with pretty much all of that. You would want to at least wait a while to see how it goes in QLD before you ever commit another side there. You don’t want to saturate the market like we have with NSW.

I’m not certain that they will pick either Perth or NZ 2 but they should definitely be in the next three but I wouldn’t be surprised either if they don’t.

Yes you do. Nrl's domination of Sydney is one of the competitions greatest strengths. Should replicate in Brisbane.

Pippen94

First Grade
We don't need another Brisbane team period. Won't add a thing. Cost, yes it'll cost. Second worst idea behind Pasifika 🤦‍♂️
Anyone and everyone is putting their hand up but there's only 2 genuine contenders, Perth and New Zealand .

Depends on bids. If twiggy wants to fund Perth OK, but others bidders may cut & run when team starts losing.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It seems like a lot of work and a lot of risk for a low reward…

At least perth has some potential, but Adelaide would just be a dot on the map.

Ive said before, I think we would be better off looking at cities in SE Asia; we would be starting with a similar level of existing interest as a VFL State but with much greater potential.
- bigger tv/sponsor markets, bigger populations (not yet middle-class, so the national sport is not set in stone)
And if it works, there at 10 more cities to look at.

Going to Adelaide is giving up and declaring there is nowhere else to grow (*cough* VFL in Tas)
Adelaide; the fifth largest metro and broadcasting market in the country, making it easily one of the most important markets in the country and region. Average RL fan's standard response 'iT's JusT a DoT On tHe MaP MaTe!'.

There's no helping this sport sometimes...

BTW, expanding in South East Asia would be multiple orders of magnitude more expensive and risky than Adelaide, or any other major market in the Tasman for that matter, and there's no proven interest at any level either. The NRL would be coming in completely raw if they expanded to any nation in South East Asia anytime soon.
Maybe one day it'll be worth attempting, but it won't be for a fair while yet unless something totally unpredictable happens.

Colk

First Grade
If TV paying most for Brisbane it makes sense. Makes game richer.

Certainly, in terms of stability local Brisbane clubs are rich & the fact they survived the disintegration of there league shows they're here to stay. Last time there was a Perth team it folded & new entities like titans needed bailing out.

Dophlins destroyed all argument that market is covered. Focusing on specific region that club is the 2nd highest drawing team in the league & added 20k members without the broncos losing any. Nrl should mine south Brisbane in the same way.

1. 11 teams ceased to be represented as an individual entity as a result of the Super League war. The fact that you keep harking back to it suggests somebody who is inexorably tied to the past. It’s also one of the weakest arguments a person can make - something failed once therefore we should never try again.

2. There is no harm in waiting to see how the Dolphins support looks like over the medium term. Is it going to be consistent - will it flatline, will it increase or will it decrease. Also, how would another side near Gold Coast affect the Titans? Would it stall Dolphins support? Would it take away supporters from the Broncos? Essentially I don’t see the point of making existing teams smaller which is what would happen if you keep putting teams in the same location/region all the time.

Pippen94

First Grade
Adelaide; the fifth largest metro and broadcasting market in the country, making it easily one of the most important markets in the country and region. Average RL fan's standard response 'iT's JusT a DoT On tHe MaP MaTe!'.

There's no helping this sport sometimes...

BTW, expanding in South East Asia would be multiple orders of magnitude more expensive and risky than Adelaide, or any other major market in the Tasman for that matter, and there's no proven interest at any level either. The NRL would be coming in completely raw if they expanded to any nation in South East Asia anytime soon.
Maybe one day it'll be worth attempting, but it won't be for a fair while yet unless something totally unpredictable happens.

Adelaide team may add 100k to total viewership if they make grand final. Shouldn't be a priority for NRL

Colk

First Grade
Yes you do. Nrl's domination of Sydney is one of the competitions greatest strengths. Should replicate in Brisbane.

It is a lot more nuanced than what you think. It is something we shouldn’t do at all in Brisbane; unless you have a hate for the Broncos and want to make them into a small Sydney club

Pippen94

First Grade
1. 11 teams ceased to be represented as an individual entity as a result of the Super League war. The fact that you keep harking back to it suggests somebody who is inexorably tied to the past. It’s also one of the weakest arguments a person can make - something failed once therefore we should never try again.

2. There is no harm in waiting to see how the Dolphins support looks like over the medium term. Is it going to be consistent - will it flatline, will it increase or will it decrease. Also, how would another side near Gold Coast affect the Titans? Would it stall Dolphins support? Would it take away supporters from the Broncos? Essentially I don’t see the point of making existing teams smaller which is what would happen if you keep putting teams in the same location/region all the time.

Yeah, I keep harping on fact that stable & rich owners is a desirable thing. Go figure?!

Dolphins haven't affected bronco's like you predicted. Wrong again

The Great Dane

First Grade
Adelaide team may add 100k to total viewership if they make grand final. Shouldn't be a priority for NRL
Okay, but the vast majority of that 100k would be unique viewers, where the vast majority of the audience for a third Brisbane side would not.

Unique viewers are more valuable than aggregate audience, and there's far more potential for growth in Adelaide/SA than in Brisbane/Queensland.

You're effectively trying to maximise sales at the total expense of growing the consumer base, which is not only lazy, but suffers from the law of diminishing returns.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
There is no harm in waiting to see how the Dolphins support looks like over the medium term. Is it going to be consistent - will it flatline, will it increase or will it decrease.
I think that`s the beauty of the Dolphins, it would seem that we can take it as a given what with the wealth of the club and its` potential geographic spread that it`s not going to become another also-ran club. I really don`t think we need to wait ten years to see how they fare.
On the other hand do we spread the goodwill factor of entering a new team from that region, out over a longer period, well that`s another argument.

Colk

First Grade
Yeah, I keep harping on fact that stable & rich owners is a desirable thing. Go figure?!

Dolphins haven't affected bronco's like you predicted. Wrong again

Yeah but you’re suggesting that only stable and rich owners come from Queensland or New South Wales. Interesting logic.

You’re also the one who keeps pointing at a three year period (which is extremely unlikely to ever be replicated again) as evidence of why the game should never try something again. It’s also an incomplete argument because you are only applying that argument to areas that you don’t want a side in as opposed to areas that you do. For example, I don’t see you using the Crushers death as an argument to not put more sides in Queensland.

Furthermore, the chances of a team financially collapsing now (with the grants that they receive and the money that the game has) is incredibly remote and in comparison to the 90’s when clubs didn’t receive grants, the game didn’t have the money it does now and player payments were out of control, is essentially not even a point or comparison you should be making. It’s redundant. Essentially address the probability as of now, not as it was.

On your point about the Dolphins, I actually suggested a few posts ago that a second side in Brisbane is/was a non brainer. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean you should keep drawing from the same well all the time. The Queensland Rugby League market is not some sort of Russian Doll. It’s pretty simple maths - you will reach a point where you start taking supporters away from existing clubs and making them smaller.

Colk

First Grade
Okay, but the vast majority of that 100k would be unique viewers, where the vast majority of the audience for a third Brisbane side would not.

Unique viewers are more valuable than aggregate audience, and there's far more potential for growth in Adelaide/SA than in Brisbane/Queensland.

You're effectively trying to maximise sales at the total expense of growing the consumer base, which is not only lazy, but suffers from the law of diminishing returns.

He won’t understand that.