What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

The Great Dane

First Grade
But being wealthier than other clubs has worked for the Broncos in the past and will work again, because despite the limitations and equalising effect of the cap it is the wealthy clubs who have the money to stockpile the best juniors. Roosters being another example.
It's no coincidence that the Bronco's slide from the winners circle coincides with ever increasing competition in the talent pool in Queensland. Same is true of the Raiders as well BTW.

The Roosters aren't successful because of their wealth alone either. They're successful because of some loopholes in the salary cap rules that have existed since the 90s that they're almost uniquely positioned to exploit, but I don't really want to get into that if I'm honest. It's a massive tangent that I find rather uninteresting.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'll quote ur entire post - you can explain u were being sarcastic or drunk or on meds at the time or something..
Don't bother, I'll address it here without even seeing it.

It'll either be me saying something along the lines of the Dolphins will fail to live up to the potential in Brisbane, which you'll try to frame in the most uncharitable way as possible and assert that that means that I was saying that they'll never draw crowd or whatever.

Or it'll be me getting frustrated with one of the many oxygen thieves on here and saying something in a heated moment that can be misinterpreted or abused by people like you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fact dolphins are playing in a stadium that can only hold 10k is already a massive failure for brisbane2.

hopefully the nrl has some balls to actually grow the game, not just add more teams to consolidate a comp already overflowing with consolidation.

re McGowan, as a Newcastle lad it was known he was a big rl fan, with him in power the nrl could have asked for a lot more re stadium, facilities and jnr funding. We’ve missed that opportunity, such a fcking waste Yet again.

Colk

First Grade
Yeah, that's how expression goes about ppl resorting to name calling coz they're winning debate.
U probably win in person arguments by punching ppl too huh?!

I’m still waiting on you to find a competition anywhere in the world that deliberately ignores the 4th biggest metro market in their country and calls it a good decision (let alone the 5th one and I’m not even that much of a fan of an Adelaide side).

Also waiting for you to prove that you know what is going to happen in the future (which you can’t and nobody could). What was the other one - that rivalries (somewhat ill defined concept that it is because it is purely subjective) are more important than the quality of the contest or the size of the market/audience. In fact, you could definitely argue that those points determine the rivalry anyway.

These are all fairly logical points that I made that you choose to argue with me about. That’s not my problem; that’s yours.

Also there is a reason for calling you Ignatius J Reily. You’re an attention seeker who seriously berates other posters and then has the audacity to act all offended and play the victim card when people return serve. If you don’t like it, then don’t act that way

We don't need another Brisbane team period. Won't add a thing. Cost, yes it'll cost. Second worst idea behind Pasifika 🤦‍♂️
Anyone and everyone is putting their hand up but there's only 2 genuine contenders, Perth and New Zealand .

A third Brisbane team provides more content for Ch9 and Foxtel. Most of the game's revenue is provided by the game's broadcast partners. Ch9 have already spoken about the appeal of adding a third team in Brisbane.

Where would NZ2 go?

Auckland is not in a position to support a second club. It's smaller than Brisbane and its residents and commercial sector prefers rugby union. The Warriors have struggled to generate revenue and folded at one stage.

Brisbane is the most passionate rugby league city in the world. It has strong corporate support funding its NRL teams. This isn't the case in Auckland.

There is no metropolitan area outside of Auckland that's large enough to sustain an NRL team. A small regional city like Townsville can fund the Cowboys because a) rugby league is the main sport in North Queensland and b) the club has strong corporate and social support from FNQ to Mackay. There is no equivalent region in New Zealand to support NZ2.

Any expansion into New Zealand will require assistance from the ARLC. Good luck getting the ARLC to do this when all 17 NRL clubs -- plus the QRL and NSWRL -- have a seat at the table and will vote against the game propping up a second NZ club.

Pneuma

First Grade
I`d be more concerned @Perth Red @The Great Dane about the Dolphins if there were three or more clubs, geographically speaking, between them and the Broncos, a-la Sharks and Roosters you might say, but there isn`t and thus plenty of room for them to grow their fanbase and be a Broncos size club permanently.
The Dolphins were overdue and will pay dividends on every level. In fact they already are. I just hope we hold off on further Qld teams until we make a considered decision over Perth and NZ2. Perth is my preference. We will see.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
These Parasites just drooling wanting the Dolphins to fail are going to be waiting a loooooong time.

And it's very reasonable for the NRL to put a club in a city just because the premier at the time was born in Newcastle. Very reasonable. Poor old Perth Parasite.

Pippen94

First Grade
I’m still waiting on you to find a competition anywhere in the world that deliberately ignores the 4th biggest metro market in their country and calls it a good decision (let alone the 5th one and I’m not even that much of a fan of an Adelaide side).

Also waiting for you to prove that you know what is going to happen in the future (which you can’t and nobody could). What was the other one - that rivalries (somewhat ill defined concept that it is because it is purely subjective) are more important than the quality of the contest or the size of the market/audience. In fact, you could definitely argue that those points determine the rivalry anyway.

These are all fairly logical points that I made that you choose to argue with me about. That’s not my problem; that’s yours.

Also there is a reason for calling you Ignatius J Reily. You’re an attention seeker who seriously berates other posters and then has the audacity to act all offended and play the victim card when people return serve. If you don’t like it, then don’t act that way

Loads metro areas the size of Adelaide without a pro team in USA. Put down the fiction & learn something about the world

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
The fact dolphins are playing in a stadium that can only hold 10k is already a massive failure for brisbane2.

hopefully the nrl has some balls to actually grow the game, not just add more teams to consolidate a comp already overflowing with consolidation.

re McGowan, as a Newcastle lad it was known he was a big rl fan, with him in power the nrl could have asked for a lot more re stadium, facilities and jnr funding. We’ve missed that opportunity, such a fcking waste Yet again.
A big concern about a Perth team as I've stated before is the states reliance on mining as its main economy. In past instances when the ore price falls even briefly, it has seen a collapse in the economy and an exodus of people from the eastern states. Forget about any rich mining backing for an NRL team, watch the current backing of the force ( Twiggy) pull his money as the share price falls.

Pippen94

First Grade
A big concern about a Perth team as I've stated before is the states reliance on mining as its main economy. In past instances when the ore price falls even briefly, it has seen a collapse in the economy and an exodus of people from the eastern states. Forget about any rich mining backing for an NRL team, watch the current backing of the force ( Twiggy) pull his money as the share price falls.

Good point

Pippen94

First Grade
I`d be more concerned @Perth Red @The Great Dane about the Dolphins if there were three or more clubs, geographically speaking, between them and the Broncos, a-la Sharks and Roosters you might say, but there isn`t and thus plenty of room for them to grow their fanbase and be a Broncos size club permanently.

They just predicted wrong about which team would get in. I remember dane going crazy about proposed jets tigers merger like it was a lock. Hope he didn't lose money on it.
Since then he & Perth red have been down on the dolphins. Success of dolphins has been dagger to their angina ridden hearts

Pippen94

First Grade
A third Brisbane team provides more content for Ch9 and Foxtel. Most of the game's revenue is provided by the game's broadcast partners. Ch9 have already spoken about the appeal of adding a third team in Brisbane.

Where would NZ2 go?

Auckland is not in a position to support a second club. It's smaller than Brisbane and its residents and commercial sector prefers rugby union. The Warriors have struggled to generate revenue and folded at one stage.

Brisbane is the most passionate rugby league city in the world. It has strong corporate support funding its NRL teams. This isn't the case in Auckland.

There is no metropolitan area outside of Auckland that's large enough to sustain an NRL team. A small regional city like Townsville can fund the Cowboys because a) rugby league is the main sport in North Queensland and b) the club has strong corporate and social support from FNQ to Mackay. There is no equivalent region in New Zealand to support NZ2.

Any expansion into New Zealand will require assistance from the ARLC. Good luck getting the ARLC to do this when all 17 NRL clubs -- plus the QRL and NSWRL -- have a seat at the table and will vote against the game propping up a second NZ club.

Everybody who knows anything about the game are saying Brisbane needs more teams. Super league set still think it's 1997

Pippen94

First Grade

Lol.

mongoose

Coach
Dophlins destroyed all argument that market is covered. Focusing on specific region that club is the 2nd highest drawing team in the league & added 20k members without the broncos losing any. Nrl should mine south Brisbane in the same way.
not a single person here said the SEQLD market was covered, even PR lol

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yeh it’s only been delivering consistent revenue for the state since the 70’s. Until the world stops needing steel or we’ve dug it all up then it will continue to keep WA a rich state. McGowan getting our fair share of gst back was just the icing on the cake. When prices drop the mines reduce outputs, then crank it back up when the prices rise, which they invariably do as the scarcity of the resource causes prices to rise Again.
It’s a tried and tested methodology for ore price manipualtion. Sometimes we get Chinese building booms which drive the price through the roof but most of time it’s at a mid level production give or take a few billion income.

we’ve had booms like in 2012 when ore prices went silly high but in 24 years of living there it hasn’t ever been a bust period. It’s either caviar or lobster, never beans on toast in perth!

lol yeh when twiggys earnings go down from $800mill a year to
$200mill a year I’m sure he’ll be feeling the pain!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plenty of anti dolphins ppl here
No one’s anti dolphins you gronk. People are rightly questioning, as they did at the time, if the dolphins were a better choice for Brisbane2 than a genuine brisbane side like the firehawks would have been.

The very fact we are already talking about the need for Brisbane3 is all the proof I need that they weren’t the right choice Strategically. But hey ho, they’re in and I hope they do well for the sake of future expansion.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yeh it’s only been delivering consistent revenue for the state since the 70’s. Until the world stops needing steel or we’ve dug it all up then it will continue to keep WA a rich state. McGowan getting our fair share of gst back was just the icing on the cake.

we’ve had booms like in 2012 when ore prices went silly high but in 22 years of living there it hasn’t ever had a bust period. It’s either caviar or lobster, never beans on toast in perth!

lol yeh when twiggys earnings go down from $800mill a year to
$200mill a year I’m sure he’ll be feeling the pain!

All of the growth in iron ore was the urbanisation of China, that has been completed and with thier population now in decline the current output won't be sustained.
Like all things it's supply and demand that sets the price. Currently supply outstripping demand pushing prices to the downside, this will continue until ore miners at the margin are selling at a loss and stop producing ( Forrest came close once already)

All that aside, it's the expansion of mines that drives a boom/ jobs and migration. I doubt we'll witness an increase in production for at least a couple of decades.
The mining boom is done.
I couldn't really care less about Twiggy but when is business starts haemorrhaging money and he's losing millions every week, cutting expenses is only natural.
Nathan Tinkler and the Nights know only too well.

You don't really seem to learn from your bad calls, you just got burned from your insistence that having the WA government in your corner was a home run 🤦‍♂️
Now it's the exuberant price of one of the mist common elements on earth...

Have at it, you'll see how mining booms end in this country.

And well done in remaining a condescending twat after soooo many bad calls.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Where would NZ2 go?

Christchurch or Wellington would be the only viable options in NZ i would say.

Christchurch are building a brand new rectangular stadium just outside the CBD. As i was in Christchurch in Feb.

Still a few years away to be ready in 2026.

Latest posts