What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
Likening Perth to PNG in terms of players likeliness to relocate is the most negative thing posted in this thread to date.

So it wouldn't be an issue getting players to leave school friends, Family etc to move across the other side of the country?

What about a mid 20's player that has kids settled in school?

Dolphins despite being in Brisbane had plenty say no. Not an issue for them due the QCup set up.

Iamback

Coach
Napier, Christchurch, Wellington had good crowds for the New Zealand Warriors. If support lifts in Auckland, that translates to a growing support across nz and an obvious growth in support for League across the nation.

FTA coverage was the big one

But a successful club makes potential players want to play for them

Bukowski

Juniors
The 18th team is hugely important and PVL and Abdo can really cement their legacy if they get it right. I would be happy with either Perth or NZ2 and the NRL is lucky to have these two very attractive markets as options.

PNG or another SEQLD team so quickly will sour their legacy imo. PNG will be seen as a short-sited and unsustainable decision made just to appease the government. Another SEQLD team will be seen a move done out of fear of AFL. Is that what V'landys wants his legacy to be, The Rugba League boss scared of AFL?
Absolutely. The last 2 expansions have both been in SEQ. Time to go elsewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it wouldn't be an issue getting players to leave school friends, Family etc to move across the other side of the country?

Dolphins despite being in Brisbane had plenty say no. Not an issue for them due the QCup set up.
People do it all the time for a lot less money than is on offer at an nrl club. doesnt suit everyone but perth is an awesome please to bring up a family and to be paid a lot of money to do so is not great hardship! If it was canberra or perth I o ow where I’d be signing for! People like Matt fuller stayed in perth after playing for reds as he loved it so much.

when western reds started up they signed a decent first team plus another 30 plus good youngsters that got farmed out to the WARL comp clubs. Perth seemed a lot further away in 1993 than now and we didn’t have trouble back then?

set up the club well, get the right family culture, good facilities, quality coach and look after the players and families right and we’ll be fine until we start getting our own players through,.

there’s a big English ex Pat community here and Timezone and distance it’s closest to uk. I’d be raiding SL for the top ten players as a start to building the first 36 man squad.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal

I'm sure there would be some players that aren't into it.

But like the Storm it's attractive to those that want to live outside the "bubble"'and can live a private life without anyone knowing or caring who you are.

But, that's not really my point, I'm saying you can't compare the challenges of trying to talk an Australian or NZer to live in PNG or Perth.

They are light years apart in terms of safety, amenities for families, health, housing, schooling etc etc.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I'm sure there would be some players that aren't into it.

But like the Storm it's attractive to those that want to live outside the "bubble"'and can live a private life without anyone knowing or caring who you are.

But, that's not really my point, I'm saying you can't compare the challenges of trying to talk an Australian or NZer to live in PNG or Perth.

They are light years apart in terms of safety, amenities for families, health, housing, schooling etc etc.
What they do have in common is, it is an issue!

Pneuma

First Grade
For me. Sick of every thread being filled with constant negativity.

NRL TV deal is bad
Expansion to new areas - bad if it is linked with an existing club
Vegas bad
now Magic round is ripping off the game.
Hell read the welcome to the comp Redcliffe thread all 90% negative.

But on to the topic

We all agree that NSW/QLD shouldn't be team 18

So lets look at the areas.

PNG - would provide raw players but lack resources to provide a decent pathway right now.

Justin Olam at the World Cup (While playing for PNG) that the country wasn't ready. That there isn't even a schoolboys comp.

PNG govt k30million and Australian Govt $25m can fix that but it is a medium term project. That money may only be there as team 18. So linking with an Australian based team for the 10-15 years it takes to get PNG up to standard makes sense.

Perth - 4400 juniors for comparison Sharks the smallest NRL club has 7000.

Like PNG players will be unlikely to move across the country. Most of their sides in the national comp have a strong domestic comp to use. RL has no such thing so East coast trips are needed. Or linking with an existing side.

NZ2. Similar issues as far as player development.

RL in that past has put such things in the too hard basket, The fact they are atleast discussing partnerships is a positive that some meaningful expansion can happen.

Yet the LU way is just to find negative only in such things
The negativity here by some befuddles me mate

Like PNG players will be unlikely to move across the country. Most of their sides in the national comp have a strong domestic comp to use. RL has no such thing so East coast trips are needed. Or linking with an existing side.

I don’t think anything you have said here is accurate or of relevance. Comparing Perth grassroots against one of the largest and best RL grassroots areas in the country is strange. Further still, CS Sharks area is potentially still the largest junior sports participation region in the country.

What on earth makes you think players will not move to Perth. It’s been demonstrated already they will. Far more desirable than Melbourne and Canberra.

NZ will not have similar player development issues either. There is a rich nursery of Rugby talent all over NZ that any new RL club could immediately tap into.

Families have their kids change schools all the time. You think Cowboys, Knights, Titans, Raiders and Storm players are all locals?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Perth is a lot further away than Melbourne and a lot less accessable. Support networks for players and probably more importantly, player partners, are a long way, away. And yes I know all about telephones and zoom. Perth's isolation will affect player movement and commitment if a side goes there.

There are ~ 150 flights from Sydney to Melbourne a day. Flight time = 1.5 hrs. Drive time about 10 hrs

Brisbane to Sydney ~ 90. Flight time = 1.5 hrs. Drive time about 12.

Perth to Sydney? 4 hrs flight time, ~ 30 per day. Driving? Forget about it.

Wb1234

Referee
How much does the Warriors success help a second NZ team? They've had
For me. Sick of every thread being filled with constant negativity.

NRL TV deal is bad
Expansion to new areas - bad if it is linked with an existing club
Vegas bad
now Magic round is ripping off the game.
Hell read the welcome to the comp Redcliffe thread all 90% negative.

But on to the topic

We all agree that NSW/QLD shouldn't be team 18

So lets look at the areas.

PNG - would provide raw players but lack resources to provide a decent pathway right now.

Justin Olam at the World Cup (While playing for PNG) that the country wasn't ready. That there isn't even a schoolboys comp.

PNG govt k30million and Australian Govt $25m can fix that but it is a medium term project. That money may only be there as team 18. So linking with an Australian based team for the 10-15 years it takes to get PNG up to standard makes sense.

RL in that past has put such things in the too hard basket, The fact they are atleast discussing partnerships is a positive that some meaningful expansion can happen.

Yet the LU way is just to find negative only in such things
Bravo !

Bukowski

Juniors
Perth is a lot further away than Melbourne and a lot less accessable. Support networks for players and probably more importantly, player partners, are a long way, away. And yes I know all about telephones and zoom. Perth's isolation will affect player movement and commitment if a side goes there.

There are ~ 150 flights from Sydney to Melbourne a day. Flight time = 1.5 hrs. Drive time about 10 hrs

Brisbane to Sydney ~ 90. Flight time = 1.5 hrs. Drive time about 12.

Perth to Sydney? 4 hrs flight time, ~ 30 per day. Driving? Forget about it.
Why so Sydgey centric? How long is the drive from Auckland to Townsville?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why so Sydgey centric? How long is the drive from Auckland to Townsville?
Um, because the majority of players that will play for Perth will be from either Sydney or Brisbane or use those cities as their travel hub.

Perth's isolation is a barrier to recruitment. Players aren't 50 year old bachelors who will FIFO because they've got nothing else but work in their lives.

And if you don't think it is you're living on delusion street.

Bukowski

Juniors
Um, because the majority of players that will play for Perth will be from either Sydney or Brisbane or use those cities as their travel hub.

Perth's isolation is a barrier to recruitment. Players aren't 50 year old bachelors who will FIFO because they've got nothing else but work in their lives.

And if you don't think it is you're living on delusion street.
It would be a barrier for a small amount of players. Getting out of Sydney would be an attraction for some too.
And your thoughts on who are FIFO workers is ridiculously wrong. You got no idea about perth .