What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Bukowski

Juniors
So stay in Sydney $200,000
Live away from family and friends in the most isolated city on the planet $200,000
They would always be paying overs just like the mines.
Perth would probably need 2 million more in their salary cap to be any chance of a premiership.
Perth is a small boring city and once you're in Perth, you're in Perth, there's nowhere else you can pop into.

Perth people don't get it because they're used to it. Sydney alone is the size of 3 Perths, 1 hour and you're in Melbourne, 1 hour and you're in Brisbane, Gold Coast.
There's choices! Places you haven't been!
You live in Perth then you probably know what lies around every corner.
Really? You get to live in Sydney so you can then go to melb and Brisbane? I've been to Sydney and Brisbane this year and I'm on shitload less than the average nrl player. 4 hrs to the east coast guys, it's not the other side of the planet.

Lik
Um, because the majority of players that will play for Perth will be from either Sydney or Brisbane or use those cities as their travel hub.

Perth's isolation is a barrier to recruitment. Players aren't 50 year old bachelors who will FIFO because they've got nothing else but work in their lives.

And if you don't think it is you're living on delusion street.
Like I said. Is there the same issue with Cowboys, Storm? It’s not like those teams are full of locals either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Really? You get to live in Sydney so you can then go to melb and Brisbane? I've been to Sydney and Brisbane this year and I'm on shitload less than the average nrl player. 4 hrs to the east coast guys, it's not the other side of the planet.
I do it every other week, its not hard. Lots of people move away from family and friends for better opportunities.

Will it be easy? No
Will it be impossible? No
Would having more lead in time and some NRL support help? yes
Will having a very well run club with a great welcoming culture help? Yes
Is Perth an amazing place to live? Yes

Is it worth the effort? Depends if you want RL to be a stronger national sport in Australia or not.

I fully expect we will have a link up with a NSW cup and QRL cup team to place talented younger east coaster we sign with so they dont have to move to perth at 16 or 17. Alongside that we need to get serious about WA player development which should eventually make up half the squad.

Pneuma

First Grade
I don’t think you realise how far a way Perth is in rugby league terms. It’s forty million rugby league hours away mate. It’s like you know literally from here to the moon. Rugby league players are unable to travel to Perth unlike every other athlete simply because ….,,

MugaB

Coach
I don’t think you realise how far a way Perth is in rugby league terms. It’s forty million rugby league hours away mate. It’s like you know literally from here to the moon. Rugby league players are unable to travel to Perth unlike every other athlete simply because ….,,
...And add Tasmania to that too

Iamback

Coach

Just curious how long did you stay for?

A weekend trip?

Iamback

Coach

Different circumstances

Cricket and AFL have good domestic competitions so can promote locals

NBL and soccer. Perth is atleast in the country and after being overseas at some stage.

Compare that too. Someone in year 11 or 12 only been to the one school.

How many would be keen to leave that support network when there are the same opportunties and can stay at home and school.

Or the slightly older player. Move them and their partner across.
Kid gets sick or they just need a break. Either need to take said kid on a 4 hour trip or Hope the grand parent can get off work for a few days

As opposed to just getting in a car and giving the partner a break

It may sound petty but that is the sort of stuff that is in the game, The same reason the game doesn't have a draft because players want to control and do what is best for them

Pneuma

First Grade
Different circumstances

Cricket and AFL have good domestic competitions so can promote locals

NBL and soccer. Perth is atleast in the country and after being overseas at some stage.

Compare that too. Someone in year 11 or 12 only been to the one school.

How many would be keen to leave that support network when there are the same opportunties and can stay at home and school.

Or the slightly older player. Move them and their partner across.
Kid gets sick or they just need a break. Either need to take said kid on a 4 hour trip or Hope the grand parent can get off work for a few days

As opposed to just getting in a car and giving the partner a break

It may sound petty but that is the sort of stuff that is in the game, The same reason the game doesn't have a draft because players want to control and do what is best for them
It’s a plane ride. A ride in a plane. Ffs

Who are these idiots saying it will be hard to attract players to png

they aren’t based in png you dopes

every single issue raised by the karens on here about why png won’t work has been addressed by this bid

stop with the preconceived notions
What bid are you talking about? There is no PNG bid, just a few off the cuff comments with no substance at all.

PNG will not happen. Put your energy into something else.