What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Yep. A league team is going to stop China.
The irony of this is of course is that if we ever do get an NRL team in PNG it could well be a rip-roaring success if the Chinese Gov`t (through their state-owned companies operating there) decide to throw money at it in a PR exercise to win over the hearts and minds of the locals. Wouldn`t that be ironic, world-beating PNG team funded by Chinese money.

In fairness, there are no suburban grounds in afl. Sydney is more a collection of satellite places. Tapping into jets logo will help gain fans to grounds, whereas plastic clubs don't draw well
NSWRL fans are pushing for the Bears and Jets to reintroduction to satisfy their nostalgia.

Perth doesn't need either brand. It has support from the WA Government and business sector. Junior clubs are growing in WA.

Wb1234

Referee
Lol, when these super leaguers play for laughs they always fail.
We should start a poll on which super league clubs have the most bitter fans ?

my vote is cowboys.

on the other end of the spectrum is Penrith fans the way they talk about the game it’s easy to mistake them for an arl club

99.9 percent of the whining about nrl expansion comes from fans of super league clubs

imagine reebs promised rugby league in China and no more than 12 teams

Canard

Immortal
We should start a poll on which super league clubs have the most bitter fans ?

my vote is cowboys.

on the other end of the spectrum is Penrith fans the way they talk about the game it’s easy to mistake them for an arl club

99.9 percent of the whining about nrl expansion comes from fans of super league clubs

imagine reebs promised rugby league in China and no more than 12 teams

I noticed that some of your recent posts seem to be intended to provoke or create controversy.

I believe in respectful and constructive discussions, so I'd appreciate it if we could focus on more substantive topics and engage in a positive manner.

Let's try to keep the conversation respectful and on-topic.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’ve never understood why a sport watched By more people gets less money. can’t think of any other sport in the world that has the largest tv audience and gets less tv revenue than its rivals. Throw in origin value and radio rights wrapped into our deal it’s shthouse every time.

So it’s either we are terrible at negotiating or their national metro reach is more valuable, or maybe some of both?
The FTA broadcasters use the archaic and soon-to-be outdated 5 metro cities metric and Fox uses subscriptions no matter where they come from. Streaming, which is the future uses the latter model under which RL will do much better provided we negotiate well, which yes, we have always been shit at.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its sad that some so called RL fans have so little faith in our great game that they dont believe new clubs can be brought into the game without some weird reliance on a sydney suburban long dead teams. It shows real insecurity and lack of conviction in just how good our game is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only genuine expansion club is the storm

they had news pumping in 100 million into them and have been the most sucesful nrl club in history

where would they be without that ?
Where would Adelaide or even Perth be in the future

where are the giants and suns today ?
This is such a strange argument! News ltd were owners of the Storm. They invested in them as they saw value in them and that investment has paid off big time. I dont see you suggesting the Eels or Bulldogs or Panthers are a failure because their LC's have had to spend much more than $100mill keeping them afloat, or the money Souths and Manly owners have poured into the clubs? You can be a real hypocrite at times Wb!

Wb1234

Referee
This is such a strange argument! News ltd were owners of the Storm. They invested in them as they saw value in them and that investment has paid off big time. I dont see you suggesting the Eels or Bulldogs or Panthers are a failure because their LC's have had to spend much more than $100mill keeping them afloat, or the money Souths and Manly owners have poured into the clubs? You can be a real hypocrite at times Wb!
Oh now news ltd are experts at seeing value in rugby league clubs ???

so why did they kill off Perth ?

Get a load of this @Pippen94

Pippen94

First Grade
The irony of this is of course is that if we ever do get an NRL team in PNG it could well be a rip-roaring success if the Chinese Gov`t (through their state-owned companies operating there) decide to throw money at it in a PR exercise to win over the hearts and minds of the locals. Wouldn`t that be ironic, world-beating PNG team funded by Chinese money.

China could buy NRL. Easier than invading

Pippen94

First Grade
NSWRL fans are pushing for the Bears and Jets to reintroduction to satisfy their nostalgia.

Perth doesn't need either brand. It has support from the WA Government and business sector. Junior clubs are growing in WA.

Who was pushing for jets return?!
Are the ppl backing Perth so fickle they want jets & norths fans onside?! No, they see benefit there

Pippen94

First Grade
Its sad that some so called RL fans have so little faith in our great game that they dont believe new clubs can be brought into the game without some weird reliance on a sydney suburban long dead teams. It shows real insecurity and lack of conviction in just how good our game is.

Always playing this card. Meanwhile ur named after a dead club..

Wb1234

Referee
so what they threw $100mill at storm, allegedly, for giggles?
I notice you totally missed the hypocriscy of your thoughts on this matter!
You’ve told me before news ltd didn’t know what they were doing kicking out Perth

now you are doing a complete 180

explain this and I will continue the argument

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who was pushing for jets return?!
Are the ppl backing Perth so fickle they want jets & norths fans onside?! No, they see benefit there
Theres three possibles about this whole thing

1. Vlandys has told them they have to align with an existing second tier club (dumb but it is Vlandys)
2. Recognising that lack of Jnr pathway is a wekaness in the bid they feel the need to align with an existing pathwya system
3. They are juts fishing and seeing what opportunities there are

I wouldnt be surprised at all if we see a go it alone Perth bid with an alignment with a NSw or Qlnd cup team signed in principle as part of the bid.
We certainly shouldn't be making decisions based on a handful of middle aged fans in sydneys needs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’ve told me before news ltd didn’t know what they were doing kicking out Perth

now you are doing a complete 180

explain this and I will continue the argument
eh? It was obvious news ltd wanted a Melbourne team. They closed down Perth to give it a good start and then invested significant sums in it. I have said the game didnt know what it was doing allowing them to be kicked out, it damaged Rl massively. Thats on the ARL for not standing up to the self interest of NEws ltd and allowing them to boot Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Crushers.

But thats not the point and you know it! You are claiming that somehow Melbourne is bad as they needed significant investment from their owners, but dont hold Sydney clubs to the same standard given many of them have and continue to need big money from their owners. Storm plastic as owners invested, Sydney clubs not despite needing ongoing money to stay afloat. Like I said you are a hypocrite.