What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
eh? It was obvious news ltd wanted a Melbourne team. They closed down Perth to give it a good start and then invested significant sums in it. I have said the game didnt know what it was doing allowing them to be kicked out, it damaged Rl massively. Thats on the ARL for not standing up to the self interest of NEws ltd and allowing them to boot Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Crushers.

But thats not the point and you know it! You are claiming that somehow Melbourne is bad as they needed significant investment from their owners, but dont hold Sydney clubs to the same standard given many of them have and continue to need big money from their owners. Storm plastic as owners invested, Sydney clubs not despite needing ongoing money to stay afloat. Like I said you are a hypocrite.
Pretty poor response but at least you tried

the point I was making was the only reason our one expansion team was a success was with the one hundred million from news and being so successful

this obviously can’t be replicated in Perth or Adelaide

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
To same amount? Not even close, in fact 2billion not close! And thats before we get to the $100mill plus gap increase in 2025
No, not to the same degree. However, they have expanded, we haven't and we've still had dramatic increases. Once team 18 comes in and we sign our deal (negotiation blunders aside), you'll find they'll be almost on par again and we haven't had to flush millions in the process.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The irony of this is of course is that if we ever do get an NRL team in PNG it could well be a rip-roaring success if the Chinese Gov`t (through their state-owned companies operating there) decide to throw money at it in a PR exercise to win over the hearts and minds of the locals. Wouldn`t that be ironic, world-beating PNG team funded by Chinese money.
My thoughts are the same. If a RL team is the key to all this as the Aus Govt thinks it is then China could easily make PNG the richest club in the NRL without batting an eyelid and take that chip off the table for us.

Canard

Immortal
My thoughts are the same. If a RL team is the key to all this as the Aus Govt thinks it is then China could easily make PNG the richest club in the NRL without batting an eyelid and take that chip off the table for us.
I'm no expert in geo-politics, but I suspect the ARLC and Fed Govt wouldn't admit a Chinese State backed team in the NRL, or any sport for that matter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty poor response but at least you tried

the point I was making was the only reason our one expansion team was a success was with the one hundred million from news and being so successful

this obviously can’t be replicated in Perth or Adelaide
Nor will it need to be, we live in different times where the nrl grant is $5mill over cap. And Perth in 2023 is not melBourne in 1999.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, not to the same degree. However, they have expanded, we haven't and we've still had dramatic increases. Once team 18 comes in and we sign our deal (negotiation blunders aside), you'll find they'll be almost on par again and we haven't had to flush millions in the process.
Lots of ifs. Show me the money. By the time that happens we will be $2.5 billion in 15 years behind their revenue. You honestly think we are ever making that up?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Looking forward to the double header at Optus Stadium Perth in two weeks, Newcastle should beat the Dolphins and Souths should beat the Sharks.
I’ll be there in my Bears gear.
Also going to check out a local league game with the Willagee Bears and then the local AFL clash between the Fremantle Dockers and the West Coast Eagles.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking forward to the double header at Optus Stadium Perth in two weeks, Newcastle should beat the Dolphins and Souths should beat the Sharks.
I’ll be there in my Bears gear.
Also going to check out a local league game with the Willagee Bears and then the local AFL clash between the Fremantle Dockers and the West Coast Eagles.
Enjoy mate, should be a great weekend of sport for you. If you want a beer before either optus game suggest you go in city then jump the free 5min train ride to stadium. The Camfield next to stadium gets packed and ques huge to get in.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Swans leaned on south Melbourne fans when they struggled. It also provided legacy to team; all records go back beyond 1982.
Yeah and it didn't work.

They went broke 3/4 times before the AFL took over them in the early 90s, after that the AFL appointed administration completely burned all but their most token connections to South Melbourne and doubled and tripled down on the Sydney identity.

For their part the Lions have only played lip service to the old Fitzroy fanbase as well, in fact the relationship between the two entities has been tumultuous at best, and openly hostile at worst.

I don't know of a single successful relocation overseas where a team tried to keep a finger in each pie, which suggests that it failed miserably if it was ever attempted in the first place. In fact the successful ones almost universally totally burn all their bridges with the old market to the point that it's not common knowledge that they relocated after a couple generations. I highly doubt any ownership committee in the American Major Leagues would even allow a team to attempt anything similar to what the Bears and Jets are proposing.

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
Given that the Belgian billionaire wanted the Wellington Orcas to play in the ESL, maybe PNG can do the same if they can't join NRL:

Canard

Immortal
Given that the Belgian billionaire wanted the Wellington Orcas to play in the ESL, maybe PNG can do the same if they can't join NRL:

Funded by whom?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Enjoy mate, should be a great weekend of sport for you. If you want a beer before either optus game suggest you go in city then jump the free 5min train ride to stadium. The Camfield next to stadium gets packed and ques huge to get in.
We are really looking forward to it, my sons played junior footy against and junior reps with Nicho Hynes, the Saifiti boys and Braddy Best so we are catching up with them afterwards and having a few beers, should be good.

Centy Coast

Juniors
A
Are you going to the double header ?