What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I meant the double header

but no way I’d miss the cup final

these things come around once every 20 years if your lucky
double header, meh 4 teams Im not very interested in.
Wembley, yeh tough one but got a holiday of a lifetime planned for my nephew and cant, wont, not do it. Flew back in 2015 which was a promise I made to myself when I left Uk that if they ever got there again I'd go back for it.
Was there in 80,81,86,97 and 15. Breaking the run this year!
Maybe Rovers are heading into a golden period and I'll be back in October to Old Trafford lol.

Wb1234

Referee
double header, meh 4 teams Im not very interested in.
Wembley, yeh tough one but got a holiday of a lifetime planned for my nephew and cant, wont, not do it. Flew back in 2015 which was a promise I made to myself when I left Uk that if they ever got there again I'd go back for it.
Was there in 80,81,86,97 and 15. Breaking the run this year!
Maybe Rovers are heading into a golden period and I'll be back in October to Old Trafford lol.
Fly in fly out for one day

Pippen94

First Grade
Yeah and it didn't work.

They went broke 3/4 times before the AFL took over them in the early 90s, after that the AFL appointed administration completely burned all but their most token connections to South Melbourne and doubled and tripled down on the Sydney identity.

For their part the Lions have only played lip service to the old Fitzroy fanbase as well, in fact the relationship between the two entities has been tumultuous at best, and openly hostile at worst.

I don't know of a single successful relocation overseas where a team tried to keep a finger in each pie, which suggests that it failed miserably if it was ever attempted in the first place. In fact the successful ones almost universally totally burn all their bridges with the old market to the point that it's not common knowledge that they relocated after a couple generations. I highly doubt any ownership committee in the American Major Leagues would even allow a team to attempt anything similar to what the Bears and Jets are proposing.

Genius, teams relocate & carry branding all the time in USA. Two NBA teams in LA are named after boat types associated with other cities

Pippen94

First Grade
Given that the Belgian billionaire wanted the Wellington Orcas to play in the ESL, maybe PNG can do the same if they can't join NRL:

Who is this Belgian billionaire?! Is he unnamed like Perth backers?!

Pippen94

First Grade
So it is a stupid term based on what people like you perceive has substance and which doesn’t.

You do realise that clubs that you think have substance (let’s say Sydney clubs) didn’t create themselves or come from the aether?

So titans have the back story, history & grassroots connection that South's do?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Genius, teams relocate & carry branding all the time in USA. Two NBA teams in LA are named after boat types associated with other cities
None of the American relocated teams are owned by the original owners and take home games back to those cities. Its not a hard point to understand!

The Great Dane

First Grade
I never said otherwise, but you know what you'll never, ever, see a relocated team in America do; play home games in their old market!

They'd never ever continue to claim the old market and advertise there, you'll never see a team celebrate a championship in the old market, outside of unique circumstances they'd never make a public appearance there, they'd even try to avoid making business partners from that region to avoid rumours that they're relocating back.

All those things and more would be considered completely moronic things to do. They'd see it as if you were intentionally trying to antagonise your fanbase.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who is this Belgian billionaire?! Is he unnamed like Perth backers?!
Theres no mystery, you've been told numerous times who the interested perth backers are. That you're too dumb or antagonistic to acknowledge it is a sad reflection on you.

The Great Dane

First Grade
None of the American relocated teams are owned by the original owners and take home games back to those cities. Its not a hard point to understand!
TBF plenty of them continue to be owned by their original owners, or the owner that instigated the relocation.

Not every relocation is as a result of the sale of a team, and if anything most relocations in recent times have been because of stadiums.

Pippen94

First Grade
When they've been around for hundred years like Souths have they will! History takes time lol

Can never have the same local support. Team like South's & jets come out of the community & represent an area. Reds just a corporate creation that disappear when money stops.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can never have the same local support. Team like South's & jets come out of the community & represent an area. Reds just a corporate creation that disappear when money stops.
f**k off, if a club is around for 100 years then it will very much be part and parcel of the fabric of that city. You are measuring newly established clubs against clubs with 100 years of existence. You're an idiot.

MugaB

Coach
Normally about 8972, isn't it?
Its always the same crowd, thats what happens when you share a city with 10 other teams only 8972 people live in and support newtown... basically landlocked by rival teams, souths to the east, dragons to the south, balmain to the west, and bears to the north.... same crowd every f**king game

Latest posts