What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
You'll see tigers, jets in Brisbane, Perth jets, PNG & pie in sky wellington & gosford bears..we know who wants in. In fact, once bids were called for Brisbane some interested parties never put in like brothers

That’s all dependent on whether they pick a place or whether they call it from everywhere.

There is seemingly little clarity externally on what they want to do or even when they want to expand

Penrith have changed the way it’s done

roosters are showing how hard I’d is to buy comps now

Brandon smith has been a massive dud

canberrra had a lot of qld players

Canberra didn’t have a lot of Qld players really - they were fantastic players but they were nowhere near the majority as you seem to be suggesting.

In any case, every team who have had their success through juniors/development haven’t just picked blokes from their little patch or area. That’s the point.

Pippen94

First Grade
He is right tho, in the first few years, there wont be any... it will take time, but you will burn thru a few rosters before getting to your juniors

I don't see Perth ever having a huge junior system. Needs to start from scratch & needs boots on ground plus culture.

Pippen94

First Grade
That’s all dependent on whether they pick a place or whether they call it from everywhere.

There is seemingly what they want to do or even

Canberra didn’t have a lot of Qld players really - they were fantastic players but they were nowhere near the majority as you seem to be suggesting.

In any case, every team who have had their success through juniors/development haven’t just picked blokes from their little patch or area. That’s the point.

There is no indication NRL will nominate a city, particularly when there's only one Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He is right tho, in the first few years, there wont be any... it will take time, but you will burn thru a few rosters before getting to your juniors
errr? Of course it will take time. Just likes it’s taking Gould time at bulldogs and it’s taking dolphins time. No one has a group of 20-25 year old players sat there waiting to instantly become nrl stars.

Wb1234

Referee

There is seemingly little clarity externally on what they want to do or even when they want to expand

Belcher
Backo
Walters x 2
Plus a few others that’s a lot

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wait

you are comparing how the dolphins have gone to how Perth will go

hahahahhajaba

put down the crack pipe
In the first few years? yes. How many Redcliffe players are in the first 30? they are out signing players from other clubs for next year and beyond. It’s nonsense to say perth shouldn’t get in because they don’t have an nrl ready squad sitting waiting and hold them to a different expectation than any other new club coming, in like dolphins. Reality any new club is signing nrl first teamers for the first few years,

Wb1234

Referee
In the first few years? yes. How many Redcliffe players are in the first 30? they are out signing players from other clubs for next year and beyond. It’s nonsense to say perth shouldn’t get in because they don’t have an nrl ready squad sitting waiting and hold them to a different expectation than any other new club coming, in like dolphins. Reality any new club is signing nrl first teamers for the first few years,
Dolphins are a brisbane club

their games are hugely popular on tv they have 30k members and one of the highest sponsorship portfolios in the game.

dolphins have caused a boom in rl in qld And are becoming one of the biggest clubs on the game

everything Perth isn’t

Colk

First Grade
Belcher
Backo
Walters x 2
Plus a few others that’s a lot

That’s not a lot over 10 years.

That’s also nowhere near the amount of players they produced from country NSW over that time.

It’s also no different to how Penrith have done it (i.e purchasing experienced players to guide young players or recruiting the occasional player from outside the area which by the way every club have to)

They are not reinventing the wheel here, it has been done before. They deserve every success they are getting because they are doing better than everybody else so good on them. But the whole Penrith is saving Rugby League trope is a little hackneyed at this point.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s not a lot over 10 years.

That’s also nowhere near the amount of players they produced from country NSW over that time.

It’s also no different to how Penrith have done it (i.e purchasing experienced players to guide young players or recruiting the occasional player from outside the area which by the way every club have to)

They are not reinventing the wheel here, it has been done before. They deserve every success they are getting because they are doing better than everybody else so good on them. But the whole Penrith is saving Rugby League trope is a little hackneyed at this point.
Panthers 1990

before Ben Alexander died and the club fell apart

exactly the same

raiders cheated fhe cap trying to keep their team together

this Penrith team loses players each year and keeps winning

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dolphins are a brisbane club

their games are hugely popular on tv they have 30k members and one of the highest sponsorship portfolios in the game.

dolphins have caused a boom in rl in qld And are becoming one of the biggest clubs on the game

everything Perth isn’t
None of which has anything to do with jnrs and being nrl ready in year 1 lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’d be really interesting to know how many jnrs at different age groups you actually need to be able to find enough talent to bring through into nrl from a local area. Not any many teams restrict themselves to only jnrs who were born in their postcode!

Colk

First Grade
Panthers 1990

before Ben Alexander died and the club fell apart

exactly the same

raiders cheated fhe cap trying to keep their team together

this Penrith team loses players each year and keeps winning

Eh? You’re moving the goalposts.

Essentially a lot of this discussion has come from this perspective that Penrith are doing something that hasn’t been done before which they are not.

Also, it is a whole bunch of things that create success. Recruiting, scouting the best juniors, having good coaching and systems to work under. Some of it also down to and I’ll whisper it just luck.

For example, Newcastle could spend hundreds of million dollars in juniors over the next how many years and they will probably never find another Andrew Johns or Danny Buderus.

MugaB

Coach
errr? Of course it will take time. Just likes it’s taking Gould time at bulldogs and it’s taking dolphins time. No one has a group of 20-25 year old players sat there waiting to instantly become nrl stars.
What fkn eeerrrr?? Dont be eerrring me pal..
No shit it takes time... i was replying to all the morons saying perf wont create anything, im saying they will, but it will never be ready till they have more than just the areas we have creating nrl talent rightnow feeding them endlessly until they stand on their own, dolphins are already blooding their juniors, that wont happen in perf first year

Wb1234

Referee
Eh? You’re moving the goalposts.

Essentially a lot of this discussion has come from this perspective that Penrith are doing something that hasn’t been done before which they are not.

Also, it is a whole bunch of things that create success. Recruiting, scouting the best juniors, having good coaching and systems to work under. Some of it also down to and I’ll whisper it just luck.

For example, Newcastle could spend hundreds of million dollars in juniors over the next how many years and they will probably never find another Andrew Johns or Danny Buderus.
Panthers are the Benchmark for the nrl

didn’t cheat the cap (storm and raiders)

local boys that grew up in the area and came to be the best rugby league players on the planet for other local kids to Emulate

they play the game how it was supposed to be not like the cheats at Melbourne

wrestling is basically cheating

Colk

First Grade
Panthers are the Benchmark for the nrl

didn’t cheat the cap (storm and raiders)

local boys that grew up in the area and came to be the best rugby league players on the planet for other local kids to Emulate

they play the game how it was supposed to be not like the cheats at Melbourne

wrestling is basically cheating

Sure I think you are looking at aesthetics on how they play and confusing it with the process.

As I said I’m not begrudging them in any way but they have done it the same way as a lot of other teams in similar situations. They invest and develop juniors but before they enter first grade they recruit and surround them with experienced players to teach them and help guide them so they are not literally walking into first grade coming dead last. Those juniors then take over.

It is a strategy that might or might not work depending on whether you recruit the right players initially, set up the right systems of coaching and development and have the luck/fortune that those young players develop to the players you want

Melbourne did it in the early 2000’s. Knights did in the early 90’s. Canberra ditto in the mid to late 1980’s. Penrith started the process about a decade ago. Manly did it about 20 or so years ago.

Good on them and I agree I’d rather a team do it this then throw the blank cheque out like some other clubs have.