What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Which might well be the case. IF the feds are presenting a compelling deal and the wa govt is as well then the nrl would be pretty stupid not to be planning how they could maximise both opportunities.
if serious money is on the table and the risks stack up we could easily see png before 2028 then perth in the next tv deal with 20th club coming in for 2033. Lots of big ifs in that but who knows.
Someone said on Twitter a new team by 2026 is a chance

the delays due to the cba aren’t helping it

shewi6

Juniors
If you’ve got access cut and paste and dont be a twat
For paywalled newscorp articles u can go to codesports and click on the article u want to read and just before it finishes loading click the x button where refresh would be and it wont load the paywall.
Have done it in my tablet for ages because for some reason that website is really slow on it, but also works on a pc, u just have to be quicker to cancel loading the page.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very positive article

I like how the wa premier reached out to Nick to make things happen

png 2026
Perth 2028
Only fly in the ointment for that is a super conservative nrl. It’d be asking them to change the last 25 years of soft decision making for that to happen.

Wb1234

Referee
Thanks for posting. Interesting Politis is the one going so hard for 20 teams. I wonder if he has his eye on the arlc chairman position in future years?
Mouthpiece for vlandys to counter the clubs who are anti expansion

they are both from kytheria in Greece

Perth Red

Post Whore
Someone said on Twitter a new team by 2026 is a chance

the delays due to the cba aren’t helping it
Realistically if it’s not tigers a new club is going to need 2 years lead in min. so If someone is coming in for 2026 theyre going to need to be announced by end of year.

Wb1234

Referee
Realistically if it’s not tigers a new club is going to need 2 years lead in min. so If someone is coming in for 2026 theyre going to need to be announced by end of year.
The article above says one option is png 2026 Perth 2027 and team 20 2030

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh but Hard to see given it’s unlikely tv will add anything to the pot 26&27 to over the cost. Unless of course nrl just extend again with the incumbents in 26.

More likely, if the feds money on offer is huge and covers all costs and then some, would be png 2026 then add in the extra content for tv with club 19 on the 2028 deal. You could announce at time tv deal is done so png announced end of this year for 2026 admission. Perth announced 25 ish when tv deal is done for 2028 admission. Team 20 to be considered during the 5 year deal, maybe 2030/31 admission?

but I suspect not.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh but Hard to see given it’s unlikely tv will add anything to the pot 26&27 to over the cost. Unless of course nrl just extend again with the incumbents in 26.

More likely, if the feds money on offer is huge and covers all costs and then some, would be png 2026 then add in the extra content for tv with club 19 on the 2028 deal. You could announce at time tv deal is done so png announced end of this year for 2026 admission. Perth announced 25 ish when tv deal is done for 2028 admission. Team 20 to be considered during the 5 year deal, maybe 2030/31 admission?

but I suspect not.
Argue about the timing if you want but a 20 team comp is just about a certainty

Perth Red

Post Whore
Argue about the timing if you want but a 20 team comp is just about a certainty
I’ve been following rugby league enough to know there is rarely certainty, other than than taking the opportunity to shoot itself in both feet!

flippikat

Bench
That means 2 more years of an odd-sized competition (2024-5) then 2 years again of an odd-sized competition in 2028-9.

I'd be inclined to think they may take a little longer for team 18, then a gap until 19 and 20 join together - odd sized competitions are a pain in the neck for scheduling.

Wb1234

Referee
Announce Perth as 18th team for 2026 and PNG as 19th team for 2028 and hopefully china will have colonized PNG before 2028 making it null&void allowing NZ2 to take its place.
Maybe the mine in Featherstone will blow up and kill the remaining 5k people who live in the town and toulose can come up

Latest posts